What's new

The Holy War 2017

I didn't see it but heard he said something about hating someone's kid or something.

He basically went a twitter rant that lasted a few hours in which he spewed as much hate and venom as he possibly could. Of course he tried to play the "I'm just trolling" card, but I think anybody who goes and reads his stuff can see that the guy has some deep seeded issues.

I've always found it interesting that when it comes to spewing venom in this rivalry, you have a group of that coming from Ute fans themselves, but from the BYU side you see not only fans, but also a good amount coming from former players and people that are/were associated with the BYU program. Yes, we've seen guys like Scalley come out and say they dislike BYU, but I think it's fair to say that Morgan's comments were within the lines of good old fashion rivalry smack talk that we would all consider healthy and non offensive.

For whatever reason, BYU has guys like Poppinga, Max Hall, and Derik Stevenson (just to name a few) out there saying really horrible ****. I'm not too bothered when Utah or BYU fans step over the line as I feel as if they just represent the idiot portion of our respective fan bases. However, it's never sat well with me that BYU has so much alumni that really have no problem peddling straight up hate. Max Hall went as far as to flat out lie about what happened to his parents at RES, has no problem using the word "Hate" to this day and BYU players were especially arrogant and mean spirited during BYU's run of dominance in the rivalry. Anybody who wonders why Utah fans carry so much disdain for all things BYU should go and take a look at how BYU and its players treated Utah during that era.

Before I get responses, I'd like to point out that former Utah players have certainly said some things over the line here and there. I'm not trying to gloss over that fact, but it seems to pale in comparison when compared to BYU and it's players.

There's just something about BYU and their fans around here. I don't pay attention to or care about college sports at all but if I happen to see scores my favorite team is whoever is playing BYU. I'd be happy to see them lose every game by triple digits.

He basically went a twitter rant that lasted a few hours in which he spewed as much hate and venom as he possibly could. Of course he tried to play the "I'm just trolling" card, but I think anybody who goes and reads his stuff can see that the guy has some deep seeded issues.

I've always found it interesting that when it comes to spewing venom in this rivalry, you have a group of that coming from Ute fans themselves, but from the BYU side you see not only fans, but also a good amount coming from former players and people that are/were associated with the BYU program. Yes, we've seen guys like Scalley come out and say they dislike BYU, but I think it's fair to say that Morgan's comments were within the lines of good old fashion rivalry smack talk that we would all consider healthy and non offensive.

For whatever reason, BYU has guys like Poppinga, Max Hall, and Derik Stevenson (just to name a few) out there saying really horrible ****. I'm not too bothered when Utah or BYU fans step over the line as I feel as if they just represent the idiot portion of our respective fan bases. However, it's never sat well with me that BYU has so much alumni that really have no problem peddling straight up hate. Max Hall went as far as to flat out lie about what happened to his parents at RES, has no problem using the word "Hate" to this day and BYU players were especially arrogant and mean spirited during BYU's run of dominance in the rivalry. Anybody who wonders why Utah fans carry so much disdain for all things BYU should go and take a look at how BYU and its players treated Utah during that era.

Before I get responses, I'd like to point out that former Utah players have certainly said some things over the line here and there. I'm not trying to gloss over that fact, but it seems to pale in comparison when compared to BYU and it's players.
But of course it seems that way to you. You are a ute fan.
I remember before the bowl game a few years back a ute d lineman (I think he was a d lineman) talking to the media and stirring **** up. Urban Meyer said all kinds of crap, coach K, scalley, etc etc.

Those are just a few that I know of and I don't really follow it all that much. (I don't do any social media besides jazzfanz. No twitter, instagram, or anything else)

I'm sure plenty of byu fans would see it opposite from the way you see it.

As for me, I don't notice much from players or coaches really. A few things here and there. Mostly it's the fans that bother me.

There's just something about BYU and their fans around here. I don't pay attention to or care about college sports at all but if I happen to see scores my favorite team is whoever is playing BYU. I'd be happy to see them lose every game by triple digits.
Go to a utah newspaper article. Pull up any random article about anything byu related. Go to the comments section. See how many comments are ute fans trash talking vs byu fans even commenting in any way on the article.

Then do the same but for a ute based article.

What do you find?

Hell, just look at any byu or utah related thread here in jazzfanz. You will find way more Ute fans trash talking and acting like ******* than byu fans cause they love to see byu fans squirm or whatever.

Go to a utah newspaper article. Pull up any random article about anything byu related. Go to the comments section. See how many comments are ute fans trash talking vs byu fans even commenting in any way on the article.

Then do the same but for a ute based article.

What do you find?

Hell, just look at any byu or utah related thread here in jazzfanz. You will find way more Ute fans trash talking and acting like ******* than byu fans cause they love to see byu fans squirm or whatever.

This is somewhat true. My BYU friends never say anything about utah, but utah fans are obsessed with BYU lol

Just my personal experience tho. can be different for other people

This is somewhat true. My BYU friends never say anything about utah, but utah fans are obsessed with BYU lol

Just my personal experience tho. can be different for other people
Ya it's different for other people I'm sure and I'm sure it has to do with utah being on top. From what I understand, byu fans were horrible when they were on top.

But I'm not getting any further into this discussion.

Basically byu fans think that ute fans, players, coaches, program are the bad guys/jerks/whatever and utah fans think the same of byu fans, coaches, and players.

I hate that the rivalry does what it does to people. Myself included.
Like a ute fan in this thread said earlier (jazzman maybe), I too wish the rivalry game would go away and I also wish the fans of each team would stop hating each other.

But of course it seems that way to you. You are a ute fan.
I remember before the bowl game a few years back a ute d lineman (I think he was a d lineman) talking to the media and stirring **** up. Urban Meyer said all kinds of crap, coach K, scalley, etc etc.

Those are just a few that I know of and I don't really follow it all that much. (I don't do any social media besides jazzfanz. No twitter, instagram, or anything else)

I'm sure plenty of byu fans would see it opposite from the way you see it.

As for me, I don't notice much from players or coaches really. A few things here and there. Mostly it's the fans that bother me.

You're right about the Utah D-lineman that stirred up ****. He was exactly who I was thinking about when I said the Utes have been guilty of it from time to time. As far as my opinion being slanted towards the Utes, history proves me right and all the information is there to see if anybody cares to actually look into it. And while Utah may have had a D-lineman say some dumb **** before a bowl game, I find it interesting that BYU has so many former players that are total nutjobs on social media and seriously try to spread as much hate as possible. Go read through Poppinga's and Stevensen's twitter feed and then show me a former Ute player who can ever compare to the absolute nonsense that those guys say on a daily basis. Show me a Ute player that talks about how badly he hates BYU and its fans like Max Hall does about Utah anytime there's a camera in his face. Go look up all the ******** guys like Lenny Gomes and Austin Collie have said about Utah.

Urban Meyer came to Utah wanting to treat the rivalry like Michigan and Ohio State do. Yes, he took some things in the locker room up a notch and hurt the BYU fans fragile feelings but he's never publicly went after BYU or attacked its fan base. Cougar fans have short memories. You guys and your players cornered the market on being holier than thou, elitist, douche bags for decades prior to what we're seeing with Ute fans now. The current climate is nothing more than the comeuppance that your program deserves and now that the shoe is on the other foot, you want to ignore decades worth of horrible fan and player behavior and coaches running up scores, only to plead for the rivalry to be civil, even though your alumni is out there leading the hate charge. My biggest regret is that BYU didn't have their glory years during the social media days so more of the nonsense could be documented.

I'm sure it's pretty easy for BYU fans to demonize Ute fans and claim that the rhetoric needs to die down considering the script has flipped. Your fan base and program had zero interest in acting civil when it was your time on top.

Ya it's different for other people I'm sure and I'm sure it has to do with utah being on top. From what I understand, byu fans were horrible when they were on top.

But I'm not getting any further into this discussion.

Basically byu fans think that ute fans, players, coaches, program are the bad guys/jerks/whatever and utah fans think the same of byu fans, coaches, and players.

I hate that the rivalry does what it does to people. Myself included.
Like a ute fan in this thread said earlier (jazzman maybe), I too wish the rivalry game would go away and I also wish the fans of each team would stop hating each other.

kinda weird cuz provo is only 1 hour away from slc. I hope you enjoy the game fish!

even if BYU lose.... just remember Burks is 100 % lol

sensitive zoobs up in here. I jut got a total ******** warning. Yeah, but Ute fans, amiright?

You're right about the Utah D-lineman that stirred up ****. He was exactly who I was thinking about when I said the Utes have been guilty of it from time to time. As far as my opinion being slanted towards the Utes, history proves me right and all the information is there to see if anybody cares to actually look into it. And while Utah may have had a D-lineman say some dumb **** before a bowl game, I find it interesting that BYU has so many former players that are total nutjobs on social media and seriously try to spread as much hate as possible. Go read through Poppinga's and Stevensen's twitter feed and then show me a former Ute player who can ever compare to the absolute nonsense that those guys say on a daily basis. Show me a Ute player that talks about how badly he hates BYU and its fans like Max Hall does about Utah anytime there's a camera in his face. Go look up all the ******** guys like Lenny Gomes and Austin Collie have said about Utah.

Urban Meyer came to Utah wanting to treat the rivalry like Michigan and Ohio State do. Yes, he took some things in the locker room up a notch and hurt the BYU fans fragile feelings but he's never publicly went after BYU or attacked its fan base. Cougar fans have short memories. You guys and your players cornered the market on being holier than thou, elitist, douche bags for decades prior to what we're seeing with Ute fans now. The current climate is nothing more than the comeuppance that your program deserves and now that the shoe is on the other foot, you want to ignore decades worth of horrible fan and player behavior and coaches running up scores, only to plead for the rivalry to be civil, even though your alumni is out there leading the hate charge. My biggest regret is that BYU didn't have their glory years during the social media days so more of the nonsense could be documented.

I'm sure it's pretty easy for BYU fans to demonize Ute fans and claim that the rhetoric needs to die down considering the script has flipped. Your fan base and program had zero interest in acting civil when it was your time on top.

Based on my experience in this thread, this awesome post might be ban-worthy. RIP jazzman

There are good reasons. It's pointless to have the discussion with you about it though as I know that whatever good reason I have won't be a good reason in your eyes.

Hell, one good reason is that ute fans think byu should go to a g5 conference. That right there is reason enough to want to stay independent. Ute fans don't typically want what's best for byu lol.

I think the utes should join back up with the mtn west lol.

lol byu fans willing to settle for being bitchmade through and through. gotta love you guys.

[MENTION=422]jazzman12[/MENTION]

I got a warning to RESPONDING to fishonjazz. Please see above.

fishonjazz later admitted that he was telling a veiled joke in the post I quoted above. In other words, he was trolling. Here's the admission:

No. I was making a joke that you are not smart enough to get apparently.

I will give you some reasons they should stay independent....

good little insult put into that trolljob, too.

BYU has managed to win one thing: stacking the mod panel on JFC.

grats, guis.

Jason=Utes
Colton=Cougars
Bronco70=Utes
JazzSpazz=Cougars
Stoked=Don't know for sure, but probably more Utes than Cougars
Moevillini=Neither (Illinois)
One Love= New Zealand
You could even add kicky if you wanted. Though with his anti-Mormon leanings, it won't help your cause.

Pretty stacked mod panel. Bitch harder, please.