What's new

The Holy War 2017

guis,

I'm not even watching this game, fwiw. Going camping instead. I just like watching zoobs squirm on JFC.

guis,

I'm not even watching this game, fwiw. Going camping instead. I just like watching zoobs squirm on JFC.
Right on man. Have fun.
Wish I was going camping this weekend (i have to work though), weather is looking nice. A little cooler.

His brother Kai was a hard-hitting, ball-hawk safety with BYU, and now on the Cleveland Browns' practice squad. Samson said he did receive some advice from Kai going into his first rivalry game.

"He said just going across the middle catch the ball and just go down," Samson Nacua said. "He said they're coming to clean my head off, so be ready for that. I was like, alright I'll be ready."

http://fox13now.com/2017/09/06/nacua-bringing-his-name-and-game-from-provo-to-salt-lake-city/

What's the o/u on the number of targeting calls?

Last edited:
Isn't there a BYU guy missing the first half this week due to targeting? Was he a starter?
Yes and yes. A 3 year starter named Micah hanneman. It was a pretty violent hit. Deserved the targeting call imo.

Yes and yes. A 3 year starter named Micah hanneman. It was a pretty violent hit. Deserved the targeting call imo.

I missed that play and haven't seen a replay.
He's a repeat offender. I wonder how long until stiffer penalties are put in for repeaters.

I missed that play and haven't seen a replay.
He's a repeat offender. I wonder how long until stiffer penalties are put in for repeaters.
It was a bit different than most in that it wasn't a defenseless target. It was a hit on lsu's star running back. It was violent and dangerous. Which is all I think should really be looked at for these type of calls.

Imo they should throw out the current rule book on targeting.
Just look at helmet to helmet hits based off intent, violence of impact, danger to player safety. For offensive players as well as defensive players. If it's determined that there was a violent, high impact, dangerous helmet to helmet hit then determine who initiated/caused the contact and assess the penalty.

Imo both byu targeting calls and ejection in last year's rivalry game should not have qualified as targeting. The 1st one all the announcers and 100% of byu fans and probably 95% of ute fans would say wasn't targeting.
The 2nd one I understand why it was called as the rule currently stands but to me a player making a hit with his head up who lightly touches another players helmet with his face mask is not what the rule was put in place for.
I also think that if defensive player is going to make a tackle on a ball carrier and aims at the ball carriers chest or waste or whatever and the ball carrier lowers and aims his head/helmet at the defensive player causing a violent collision of helmets then they should get called for targeting too but rarely if ever are. I can't ever remember seeing it called anyway. Maybe they do call it and I just haven't seen it or can't remember it though.
Rant over.

Anyway, the one against lsu's running back last week was violent and dangerous and deserved the call.

gonna spend my Saturday night watching this game. better be worth it! please make it close BYU

Nobody forgets 54-10 and gets away with it. Not on my watch.
I didn't forget it lol. Wish I could though.

I actually was lucky for that one though. I was camping at diamond fork campground sitting around the campfire listening on the radio. Turned it off at halftime and enjoyed the rest of the night.

I didn't forget it lol. Wish I could though.

I actually was lucky for that one though. I was camping at diamond fork campground sitting around the campfire listening on the radio. Turned it off at halftime and enjoyed the rest of the night.

Maybe it was all your fault then. Was still pretty close at halftime.

Can't wait til byu shuts down football and Fish can become a Utes fan. Fun guy to go to games and tailgate with.

Maybe it was all your fault then. Was still pretty close at halftime.
My hope is that it was my fault that I went camping in the first place.

Hopefully naos camping trip has the same affect on the game for the utes that my camping trip had on the cougars.

Did anybody else see Brady Poppinga's twitter meltdown last night? It was actually very sad.
I didn't see it but heard he said something about hating someone's kid or something.