What's new

The Holy War 2017

Hell, one good reason is that ute fans think byu should go to a g5 conference. That right there is reason enough to want to stay independent. Ute fans don't typically want what's best for byu lol.

lol byu fans willing to settle for being bitchmade through and through. gotta love you guys.

There are good reasons. It's pointless to have the discussion with you about it though as I know that whatever good reason I have won't be a good reason in your eyes.

Hell, one good reason is that ute fans think byu should go to a g5 conference. That right there is reason enough to want to stay independent. Ute fans don't typically want what's best for byu lol.

I think the utes should join back up with the mtn west lol.

So... against joining a conference because of Utah. yeah that's what I thought.

I think if you could get BYU fans to be 100% honest, the reason they don't want to go to a G5 is that it makes it look as if Indy didn't work and quite honestly, that's a bad look.

I get it. You'd have Ute fans lining up from here to Christmas crowing about the fact that you guys had to pull the plug on independence. The sad thing is, if it's pride keeping BYU from going back to the G5, that's probably a big mistake. I'd like to think of myself as a pretty rational sports fan and I just can't see the downside to BYU getting back in a conference, still playing 4 P5 games per year, and getting a shot at a conference crown and better bowls.

P5, Independence, G5... it should be all about the money, but secondarily (and almost co-primarily) it should be about exposure.
Is BYU exposing their program on a consistent basis in large markets?
Notre Dame, because of the prominence of the Catholic religion in the U.S., doesn't need to be CONSISTENTLY shown to geographic areas.
BYU does, though.
While monetarily Independence makes sense right now, I'm not sure it makes total sense for exposure and building a consistent non-LDS fan base.

So... against joining a conference because of Utah. yeah that's what I thought.

No. I was making a joke that you are not smart enough to get apparently.

I will give you some reasons they should stay independent. Then you will predictably bash those reasons and it will have been a waste of time like I knew it would be.

They can always go to a G5 conference. That's the easy way. No need to rush to get into the mtn west before it's too late.

If there is an expansion it's easier to go into a p5 conference without any contract or conference to get out of.

Some p5 conferences have said that they won't schedule G5 teams..... but that they will schedule byu as they are not considered G5 by some p5 conferences.

More of their games are nationally televised as independent.

Any money they make is theirs alone. No sharing with unlv or New Mexico or whoever.

Their fans prefer independence (whether ute fans do or not doesn't really matter to byu I reckon). The lds church also prefers independence.

I heard the guys on 700 home of the utes on my way home today discussing whether byu is one of the haves or have nots and they were saying that byu is in a grey area. That's how many non ute fans see it too. If they go G5 then there is no grey area. They would be have nots without question. Again, they can always go G5 whenever they feel independence isn't worth it to them anymore.

Just a few reasons to stay independent over G5 off the top of my head.

Now what would typically happen is you (or another ute fan) would quote my post and argue why I'm wrong and you are right, then I would quote that post and argue why I'm right and you are wrong....and back and forth until the end of time. but I'm done doing that lame **** and don't have time for it so I won't be responding any further. (I already regret wasting my time with this post lol)

Sports Jeopardy

During the 2016 season this russet loving FBS program had more games televised on national TV than BYU.

Exposure shouldn't factor into the G5/Indepence equation. BYU is a big enough entity, that it could tell a conference like the AAC: "Look, we'd like to join your conference but we won't do it if we can't keep our ESPN deal and tvBYU rights".

So in a nutshell:
-TV money stays the same
-Nationally televised games stays the same
-Conference schedule + 4 P5 games
-Conference Title possibilities
-Better bowl tie-ins
-Access to the NY6
-Chance to build new conference rivalries

The one argument that I will concede to Fish is that as long as BYU stays Indy, they're flexible to bolt to a P5 conference should an opening come available. That being said, Utah was able to get out of the MWC relatively easy and BYU has deeper pockets. Plus, how long do you wait for a call that might never come?

Unlike most Ute fans, I would applaud BYU for making such a move as opposed to mocking it. Sadly, I think it's a silly argument because I see no way BYU ever allows themselves to go back. Pride is one helluva drug...

Ute fans continuing to prove just how over this rivalry they are.

I just love when BYU fans play that card. I'm interested in all things college football within the state of Utah (even Weber State). It's funny that if you have an opinion on something like this, you're not "over" your rival. Like it or not, as the 2nd biggest football program in the state, people are going to have opinions on BYU.

I get it though. When you've lost 6 in a row and 9 outta 12, you pretty much lose any scoreboard type of argument so you have to get creative with your smack talk.

Ute fans continuing to prove just how over this rivalry they are.

As I said your henchmen on Capitol Hill publicly threatened Utah's athletic department and then launched a spiteful fishing expedition. If we are going to have to play this game then yeah I want BYU to try to be relevant. Utah could be scheduling a P5 team or a Florida G5. Both would be great for recruiting. Instead we're playing 30 miles from home against a program going nowhere.

I get it though. When you've lost 6 in a row and 9 outta 12, you pretty much lose any scoreboard type of argument so you have to get creative with your smack talk.

This is true, scoreboard is pretty impossible to counter.

Bigb does have a valid point though, many Ute fans say they are done with the rivalry and don't care about BYU, but seem to chime in on most BYU topics. I don't think the rivalry is over even if it's pretty one sided right now. If you are over it and don't care, you don't click on the thread or come in and kick while we are down. I honestly don't blame you after how smug some Y fans were in days of yore when the shoe was on the other foot. Enjoy it while you can, because I can tell you from experience, nothing in the world of sports lasts forever. Fair is fair.

As I said your henchmen on Capitol Hill publicly threatened Utah's athletic department and then launched a spiteful fishing expedition. If we are going to have to play this game then yeah I want BYU to try to be relevant. Utah could be scheduling a P5 team or a Florida G5. Both would be great for recruiting. Instead we're playing 30 miles from home against a program going nowhere.

Or a University of North Dakota or San Jose State.

You do realize that Utah has a 9 game Pac 12 schedule after ooc, right?

Yes, which is why I mention those. Plenty of P5 schools go with all patsy games because of the rough conference season. Just saying I didn't necessarily think your front office would drop BYU to schedule someone rough. As I look back though to the only history we have I suppose the Y game was replaced with Michigan, so your point stands.

Exposure shouldn't factor into the G5/Indepence equation. BYU is a big enough entity, that it could tell a conference like the AAC: "Look, we'd like to join your conference but we won't do it if we can't keep our ESPN deal and tvBYU rights".

So in a nutshell:
-TV money stays the same
-Nationally televised games stays the same
-Conference schedule + 4 P5 games
-Conference Title possibilities
-Better bowl tie-ins
-Access to the NY6
-Chance to build new conference rivalries

The one argument that I will concede to Fish is that as long as BYU stays Indy, they're flexible to bolt to a P5 conference should an opening come available. That being said, Utah was able to get out of the MWC relatively easy and BYU has deeper pockets. Plus, how long do you wait for a call that might never come?

Unlike most Ute fans, I would applaud BYU for making such a move as opposed to mocking it. Sadly, I think it's a silly argument because I see no way BYU ever allows themselves to go back. Pride is one helluva drug...

I personally don't think it's a pride thing. Could be wrong. I think administration is content with how independence is working. Also, waiting for another round of P5 expansion. Don't want to get tied into some buy out agreement.
Personally, I prefer independence to AAC. Obviously, P5 over all of it.

This is true, scoreboard is pretty impossible to counter.

Bigb does have a valid point though, many Ute fans say they are done with the rivalry and don't care about BYU, but seem to chime in on most BYU topics. I don't think the rivalry is over even if it's pretty one sided right now. If you are over it and don't care, you don't click on the thread or come in and kick while we are down. I honestly don't blame you after how smug some Y fans were in days of yore when the shoe was on the other foot. Enjoy it while you can, because I can tell you from experience, nothing in the world of sports lasts forever. Fair is fair.

I just think the "They're still talking about us!" smack talk is a weak, cop-out. There's BYU fans in this state that LOVE college football. If Utah is having a good year, I expect them to talk about it. If Utah is having a down year and getting beaten up by everybody in the PAC 12, I expect them to talk about it. It doesn't mean they're hung up on Utah or can't get over them.

One thing that I can agree with you on: BYU fans are reaping what was sewn back during the dominance of the 70's and 80's. I was on the other side of that then, and while BYU fans will insist that they weren't as nasty, I would say you guys were current Ute fan, ten fold. The major difference is that your reign didn't happen during the height of social media. I could litter this thread with examples (including fans as well as people that were affiliated with BYU) but I think we can both agree that would be an exercise in futility.

As far as your argument that all rivalries are cyclical, obviously history shows us that to be true, but those cycles came when the schools were playing in the same conference and had similar resources. I think the future of this rivalry will be different. Obviously BYU will win more games in this series, but barring a major shift (such as a P5 invite for BYU), I'd be willing to bet that we never see a 10 year span in which BYU finishes 5-5 vs Utah. I certainly don't think Utah will go 9-1 or 8-2 every decade moving forward- the gaps not that big. I could however, easily see Utah being good for 6 or 7 wins every decade. There's probably a bit of homerism in that forecast, but there's also tangible evidence that supports the theory.

I agree with everything you said, except them being my henchmen. That whole thing was just retarded.
It also doesn't disprove what I said. Ute fans are, and will continue to be, obsessed with BYU.

I just love when BYU fans play that card. I'm interested in all things college football within the state of Utah (even Weber State). It's funny that if you have an opinion on something like this, you're not "over" your rival. Like it or not, as the 2nd biggest football program in the state, people are going to have opinions on BYU.

If you think that's smack talk, I feel sorry for you. But the truth remains, Ute fans are not over the rivalry.

If you think that's smack talk, I feel sorry for you. But the truth remains, Ute fans are not over the rivalry.

I was pleased as peaches when Michigan was on the schedule and I think I speak for a ton of Ute fans who'd be happy to see the game go away forever. If you're still hung up on somebody or still feel like you've got something to prove, that probably wouldn't be the case. Fact of the matter is, if we're going to be forced to play the game, I'm gonna embrace the rivalry aspect of it for all that it's worth, but if it ended tomorrow, I'd be rather content. We can just agree to disagree.