What's new

The Inevitable Favs Reunion

The Annual let's bring back a former Jazz player hoping that he is better but what happens is the player returns and then we quickly remember why we let him go. I love Favor and he would definitely help but he struggled in NO and still cannot hit the 3pt. At the right price I wouldn't mind a return but I don't think he is the answer to what ails the Jazz.
If it were purely a TB for Faves swap that's a win. Bring in favors over Bradley even in this last series and maybe we win that last game, or one of the others. But if he's coming as a major cog in the rotation to play alongside Rudy that's a mistake.

The trick is getting Clarkson, Favors, AND leaving the MLE for some defensive help on the perimeter.
Will put us in the tax and I don't see us going there. Your defensive help on the perimeter is likely to be Oni or Brantley in that scenario.

Will put us in the tax and I don't see us going there. Your defensive help on the perimeter is likely to be Oni or Brantley in that scenario.
We really need to go all-in on Porter. Give up our first if we have to. I don’t care.

The way I see it, Conley is closing games. We need someone who gives you the same spacing options as Conley but can be a net positive on the other end of the floor. You won’t find a closer in free agency, at least I don’t think so. And you won’t find one who’s a net positive enough to be closing over Royce, Joe, or JC. OPJ fits the bill. He allows you to essentially keep the same rotation as you would with Conley, except now Donovan is more ball dominant and you’ve got a much longer defender/rebounder.

We'd have to dump some salary to avoid the tax... and you can bet your *** we will avoid the tax.

Everyone can spare me the "but ownership has said they will pay the tax... yada yada". That is what ownerships always say and its usually qualified with "if we have a contender" or "if it makes us better". And then they always cheap out. Tillman Fertita said the tax didn't even factor into his thinking with the rockets a couple years ago... and every move he made somehow had them taking back less salary until they avoided the tax... while sitting on their full MLE. Just saying owners always say that ****.

People need to realize that the Miller's are rich on paper. They don't have a lot of cash lying around. They can't afford to pay the luxury tax. They are the equivalent of the neighbor in the ritzy neighborhood that is mortgaged to the teeth and even though they have a lot of nice toys, if they lose their job they are on the fast track to bankruptcy (not that bad, but you get the point). They won't pay the tax for someone like Clarkson if all it means is the Jazz go from a 6-7 seed and first round loss to 4-5 seed and second round loss.

Couldn’t we use just part of the MLE and stay under the tax? This assumes no Ed, Tony, and cutting lose one or more of the $1.5 Million guys.

Thanks for your help. Literally no time right now to get into the weeds on this.

I don't see any reason Oni can't be a rotational 3 and D guy next year.
Me either, but he can’t bang with the powerwings. I would like to sign a guy like Torrey Craig with part of the MLE to help with that. Then, you’d have Royce, Oni, Craig, and hopefully Brantley takes a step forward as a defender (but he’s so bulky that I wonder how good he’s going to be getting over screens... He’s looking like a 4-5 to me, not a powerwing).

If Royce starts, then we need a seasoned, powerful wing defender to complement JC and Conley (who, even if he ****ing has to start, will be running with this group a lot).

Couldn’t we use just part of the MLE and stay under the tax? This assumes no Ed, Tony, and cutting lose one or more of the $1.5 Million guys.

Thanks for your help. Literally no time right now to get into the weeds on this.
It depends on the CBA negotiations this summer.

If the cap was going to go up like it was suppose to you could sign and trade for Favs using Ed and Tony, sign JC to around 10M, and use MLE and avoid the tax barely.

The assumption is the cap will be flat, so using this year's luxury tax level those moves would put us about $9M in the tax. Maybe they keep the tax level where it was projected to be and lower the cap? Teams like Philly and GS gonna get murdered by the tax if they don't. Either way it is still a lot of money to spend and I think we get thrifty.

It would be a step back to sign Favors if we lost Clarkson.
It'd definitely be a step forward. A healthy Bojan makes the need for Clarkson much less.

Honestly I only really want to re-sign Clarkson if we get him for 12 or below so we can immediately trade him for a 1st rounder when allowed.

It didn't earlier this year. But if your point is that Bojan should come off the bench then I think I agree.

Clarkson saved our season. We do NOT go on that tear mid-season without him, and we don't even make the playoffs without that.
We probably do. Ultimately he isnt a guy you can rely on in the playoffs with his awful defense and how prone he is to awful possessions.

We probably do. Ultimately he isnt a guy you can rely on in the playoffs with his awful defense and how prone he is to awful possessions.
I didn't feel that his defense was awful, he definitely played more scrappy than he does in regular season. You can hide him if he is your only bad defender but the thing is the Jazz have only 2 plus defenders and Mitchell who is generally bad but can play ISO D when he has to.

It didn't earlier this year. But if your point is that Bojan should come off the bench then I think I agree.

Clarkson saved our season. We do NOT go on that tear mid-season without him, and we don't even make the playoffs without that.
I love how he can brush aside evidence like it ain’t no thang.

I love how he can brush aside evidence like it ain’t no thang.
JC is solid in his role and we relied on him a little too much in the playoffs because we were short handed. He did his thing... had some good games and some bad games. I'd like to keep him around at or around the MLE type of money.

JC was literally the exact same player in the playoffs he was in the regular season. Ended on a sour note but he also went on some heaters.

Per Tony Jones on his podcast. After reiterating that there is mutual interest "per league sources". His "sources" say that Favs knows he'd be the backup center only and he'd be fine with that.

Tony is buddies with Favs... so Favs is his source and you can take that **** to the bank.