What's new

The Inevitable Favs Reunion

Per Tony Jones on his podcast. After reiterating that there is mutual interest "per league sources". His "sources" say that Favs knows he'd be the backup center only and he'd be fine with that.

Tony is buddies with Favs... so Favs is his source and you can take that **** to the bank.

Makes sense... he's got back issues, and coming off the bench would probably extend his career.

Makes sense... he's got back issues, and coming off the bench would probably extend his career.
Yeah... I'm still not sure its a great idea for us to pay top dollar for a center when most teams aren't and also pay top dollar for a backup when other teams are not. They both have similar limitations too.

It makes sense for Favs and I think he basically won't get more than the MLE.

Yeah... I'm still not sure its a great idea for us to pay top dollar for a center when most teams aren't and also pay top dollar for a backup when other teams are not. They both have similar limitations too.

It makes sense for Favs and I think he basically won't get more than the MLE.
He is premium but he kind of deserves it if it's around MLE and he also can play 4 for different looks. It's just that we won't have to olay him 12 minutes next to Rudy which is pretty ****ing big tbh.

That would be huge but why would Favors want to be purely a backup? I think there at teams that with pay him $10mm+

I think some of his injury issues may mean that he's best off playing around 25 mins tops per game. Carrying the load as a starting center who plays 30+ minutes may be more than he wants to do. If he can get a deal for 3 years around $36M, that might be a good move for him.

Yeah... I'm still not sure its a great idea for us to pay top dollar for a center when most teams aren't and also pay top dollar for a backup when other teams are not.

We also play a different style of defense (because of Rudy) that really requires our center to be an elite rim protector... so it makes more sense for us to go in on that concept more than it would make sense for other teams to do it

I’d prefer Conley for OPJ.

if the kid can finally get healthy (monster if), he might be exactly what we need. Then draft the lost talented/athletic 2/3 in the draft and ****ing nail it.

This saves us some money (gets rid of Conley which I think is good for team chemistry) and if OPJ is healthy, gives us a legit stretch 4 for once. Potentially.

Chicago can draft Halliburton or some other pg and let Conley start and mentor him for a year. It makes sense since they sort of badly need vet leadership. Plus Conley’s from Indiana and went to OSU (neither too far away) and his dad was born in Chicago and I presume grew up there, so there’s some local nostalgia there.

Do that and re-sign Clarkson, and imo, Udoh, and I love what we have.

Apart from sentimental reasons, I think Favs would help quite a bit. It would be huge if the defense wouldn’t fall off so drastically when Rudy is off the floor. We don’t really have a reliable rebounder other than Rudy either. His lack of shooting wouldn’t be as much of a problem with Conley and Bojan on the team and he’s a reliable option in the p&r and on alley oops for some easy points here and there. People may also have forgotten he’s won quite a few games for us with critical offensive rebounds and put backs late in games. He may not be cheap for the minutes he would play, but it would be worth it to close the huge gap in production between our starters and our bench.

Favors would no doubt help a ton, but does he really want to come back?

I just wonder what his decision process is going to look like. Does he want most minutes, best chance to win, most money, best personal situation?

Utah can't pay him much and I bet Golden State would love to sign him. Would he really want a few more million to play in Utah vs Golden State where he could sign a 1 year deal and be a starter/20+ minutes rotation on what will likely be a contender? In Utah he is probably looking at 16 mpg at most, unless there is some kind of long-term injury to Gobert.

Favors would no doubt help a ton, but does he really want to come back?

I just wonder what his decision process is going to look like. Does he want most minutes, best chance to win, most money, best personal situation?

Utah can't pay him much and I bet Golden State would love to sign him. Would he really want a few more million to play in Utah vs Golden State where he could sign a 1 year deal and be a starter/20+ minutes rotation on what will likely be a contender? In Utah he is probably looking at 16 mpg at most, unless there is some kind of long-term injury to Gobert.
I'll bet GS does not sign any free agents other than minimum guys. They are in luxury tax hell which could be made worse unless the NBA keeps this year's luxury tax threshold... even then they are looking at big bill and owners leveraged themselves a bit with the new arena... that has been empty.

Overall point is still valid. Specifically GS I think goes super cheap until they know their guys are healthy and they are a contender.

I'll bet GS does not sign any free agents other than minimum guys. They are in luxury tax hell which could be made worse unless the NBA keeps this year's luxury tax threshold... even then they are looking at big bill and owners leveraged themselves a bit with the new arena... that has been empty.

Overall point is still valid. Specifically GS I think goes super cheap until they know their guys are healthy and they are a contender.
They will have the tax payer exception at 6 milly a year (roughly from what I can tell). So they could give Favors some of that. Most Utah can really pay him is what, 8 milly a year? And I dont think Utah wants to do that for a backup center.

They will have the tax payer exception at 6 milly a year (roughly from what I can tell). So they could give Favors some of that. Most Utah can really pay him is what, 8 milly a year? And I dont think Utah wants to do that for a backup center.

Would we be able to start 1st/3rd quarters with Gobert/Favors/Bogdanovic/Mitchell/Conley? That would bring Favors up to 24mins/game, even if he subs out early.

Golden State will do something like sign Udoh at the minimum and he’s going to look like Bill Russell and everyone will be all “OMG Udoh!” and then we’ll have the cadre of JFC pacifiers saying “calm down, he wasn’t this good with us” and other excuses.

K, but at a certain point money itself is real.

Right... I'm saying the warriors won't offer their TP - MLE to anyone. That 6 M could cost them an additional $20M+ in tax and salary.

Golden state will be in the repeater tax in the season after next season... so they will also likely avoid multiyear deals. If they use their taxpayer MLE it will be on a guy like Boogie... a one year potential home run on a guy that couldn't get the deal he really wanted so he will wait a year.