What's new

The Jazz are much worse than I thought

oldtimer

Count me among the few that thought the Jazz would surprise the NBA this season. I really believed the young guys would compete hard and win more games than everyone expected (kinda like the suns are). I didn't expect the playoffs but I had no idea we'd suck so bad. I've watched every game and I am concerned that the Jazz are not competing better. I'm concerned that losing so bad is going to permanently damage the confidence of the young players. In my opinion this comes down to three primary issues:

1. Our point guard play is atrocious. It cannot continue or it will destroy the confidence of the young team. Tinsley and Lucas have to go as they have no business on any NBA team. Statistically they are the worst in the league. I blame Lindsey for not bringing over Neto this season and for not getting a point guard who can shoot. I blame Corbin for sticking with these guys instead of admitting complete failure and just playing Burks full time at point until Burke comes back.

2. Corbin's decision making is bizarre. Although he's got young guys he insists on limiting minutes and is stuck in rigid substitution patterns. Let the play of the players determine time on the court.

3. Selfishness of the players. When this team was constructed it had too many players who are playing for their futures in the NBA. Now that were losing everyone knows this team will be totally rebuilt next year. Everyone is trying to prove they have value not just to the Jazz but to the rest of the NBA. I can't tell you how many times I've seen guys take shots with another guy wide open. Hayward (who is by far the team's best passer) is trying to prove he is worth a huge contract and in my opinion he is failing. While his stats are improving from the beginning of the year he is also proving he is not a legitimate no. 1 or no. 2. If he was we would not be losing every game. Burks is trying to play acrobat and design highlight plays instead of making open 10 footers. Favors looks like he spent the whole offseason trying to bulk up and lost quickness. Half the time I catch Favors standing around waiting for a pass that never comes. Kanter who has played well on offense looks like he forgot how to play tight defense. It almost looks like he is trying not to foul out and is playing soft defense. Don't save yourself big guy play hard, but try to play smart. I could go on but I'm just depressed.

Count me among the few that thought the Jazz would surprise the NBA this season. DITTO I really believed the young guys would compete hard and win more games than everyone expected (kinda like the suns are). I didn't expect the playoffs but I had no idea we'd suck so bad. I've watched every game and I am concerned that the Jazz are not competing better. I'm concerned that losing so bad is going to permanently damage the confidence of the young players. In my opinion this comes down to three primary issues:

1. Our point guard play is atrocious. It cannot continue or it will destroy the confidence of the young team. Tinsley and Lucas have to go as they have no business on any NBA team. Statistically they are the worst in the league. I blame Lindsey for not bringing over Neto this season and for not getting a point guard who can shoot. I blame Corbin for sticking with these guys instead of admitting complete failure and just playing Burks full time at point until Burke comes back.

2. Corbin's decision making is bizarre. Although he's got young guys he insists on limiting minutes and is stuck in rigid substitution patterns. Let the play of the players determine time on the court. DITTO

3. Selfishness of the players. When this team was constructed it had too many players who are playing for their futures in the NBA. Now that were losing everyone knows this team will be totally rebuilt next year. Everyone is trying to prove they have value not just to the Jazz but to the rest of the NBA. I can't tell you how many times I've seen guys take shots with another guy wide open. Hayward (who is by far the team's best passer) is trying to prove he is worth a huge contract and in my opinion he is failing. While his stats are improving from the beginning of the year he is also proving he is not a legitimate no. 1 or no. 2. If he was we would not be losing every game. Burks is trying to play acrobat and design highlight plays instead of making open 10 footers. Favors looks like he spent the whole offseason trying to bulk up and lost quickness. Half the time I catch Favors standing around waiting for a pass that never comes. Kanter who has played well on offense looks like he forgot how to play tight defense. It almost looks like he is trying not to foul out and is playing soft defense. Don't save yourself big guy play hard, but try to play smart. I could go on but I'm just depressed. I was kinda expecting this leadership from the coach but to no avail
good post.

Count me among those who never expected the Jazz to suck this bad. I anticipated that we'd win about 30 games or so, but now I'm wondering (like others) just who we are actually going to beat. I certainly didn't anticipate that we'd be historically bad, which is where we are heading if they can't turn things around here soon. I'm not giving up yet and still keeping the faith (after all, this is what I asked for), but I'm a bit shellshocked things have gotten so bad so quickly. Step 1, in my opinion, is that Corbin's gotta go, and probably the sooner the better. If we go 2-15, or something like that, how can the FO not fire him at some point and even pretend they care about winning?

I knew it would be bad. I knew we were going to lose a lot. I just didn't think that the players would give up on the coach so quickly. Who can blame them though? Corbin hasn't given me anything positive about his rotations, play calling or identity for the last
3 years.
I'm sure the players are more frustrated than I am.

Hey guys we don't have a point guard. With all the Wiggins talk around here i didn't think people would panic this fast.

Sent from my HTC One using JazzFanz mobile app

Last night I was dreaming about what life would be like if they were laying 10 ft off our point guard and that point guard was, say for example, Jimmer.

Oh no. Here we go again.

Hear him out dude. Jimmer is not a long term answer at all.. he's not a savior. But if they're going to leave our perimeter players wide open, why not throw in someone that can actually sink a shot?

And at the same time, drive up merchandise sales?

How bad a the Jazz? Heck this team without Burke could not even win Euroleague.

I thought we would be the best looking of all the tank teams. I was wrong about that. But I also thought we wouldn't realistically get a top 3 pick. Glad that I was wrong about that.

The Jazz are really bad...

They are like "Heisenburg" bad
They are "Ishtar" bad
They are "72' 76er's" bad
They are "Twilight" bad
They are "Norbit" bad
They are "Battlefield Earth" bad
They are "10,000 BC" bad
They are "Deuce Bigelow" bad
They are "Dinner for Schmucks" bad
They are "Lindsay Lohan" bad
They are "Miley Cyrus" bad

They are just really really bad

Last edited:
The Jazz might be bad, but at least its not because of the core four.

Hayward struggled a little early, but he is averaging 19/4.5/6. His 3 point percentage is down, but his FG percentage is a decent 46 %. He is playing about as well as we could have hoped for being a number 1 option. If he keeps it up, he will have earned himself a lot of money by waiting for free agency.

Kanter has been pretty good also. He is averaging 16 points on 50 % shooting. He is struggling rebounding though. Only about 7.5 rebounds in 34 minutes. He needs to get that back up by doing better on the defensive end. I have every reason to believe he will.

Favors has been up and down. But when he's down, it hasn't been that bad actually. He has scored double figures in every game except 1. His shooting percentage isn't great for a PF/C, but he has been getting to the line almost 6 times a game. He is still young, and when he plays like he did last night, we got a steal at 4/49. I expect him to have more and more games like that as the season progresses, and as he gets a PG to play with.

Burks has been inconsistent too. He isn't shooting great, but he doesn't have a lot of help when he is on the floor leading the second unit. He has been able to get to the line. His shooting percentage needs to come up, and I think it will.

Jefferson is the only other player on the team that has showed that he should get regular playing time in the NBA. If you are a casual fan, then it sucks to watch the Jazz this year. But if you understand that the pieces that are in place are actually valuable pieces, and that they are bad at the right time and can get a very good player in the next draft, then its awesome to watch.

This team can still turn it around with Burke and Rush healthy. It will take a month or two, but they will win some games this year. I expect 20-25 wins at least. Hopefully thats still at the bottom of the league.

For the OP, I agree that the team is bad, but you are asking 3 guys who have been on the bench to take over the team with only 1 decent role player (Jefferson) and no pg (what might be the most important position on the floor). Hayward isn't a number 1 guy, but he isn't doing too bad for impersonating one. I agree on Corbin. He hasn't proven anything as a coach. Hopefully something changes there. Get these kids some help before you critique them too much. Its a long season, they will figure it out.

Last edited:
Count me among the few that thought the Jazz would surprise the NBA this season. I really believed the young guys would compete hard and win more games than everyone expected (kinda like the suns are). I didn't expect the playoffs but I had no idea we'd suck so bad. I've watched every game and I am concerned that the Jazz are not competing better. I'm concerned that losing so bad is going to permanently damage the confidence of the young players. In my opinion this comes down to three primary issues:

2. Corbin's decision making is bizarre. Although he's got young guys he insists on limiting minutes and is stuck in rigid substitution patterns. Let the play of the players determine time on the court.

3. Selfishness of the players. When this team was constructed it had too many players who are playing for their futures in the NBA. Now that were losing everyone knows this team will be totally rebuilt next year. Everyone is trying to prove they have value not just to the Jazz but to the rest of the NBA. I can't tell you how many times I've seen guys take shots with another guy wide open. Hayward (who is by far the team's best passer) is trying to prove he is worth a huge contract and in my opinion he is failing. While his stats are improving from the beginning of the year he is also proving he is not a legitimate no. 1 or no. 2. If he was we would not be losing every game. Burks is trying to play acrobat and design highlight plays instead of making open 10 footers. Favors looks like he spent the whole offseason trying to bulk up and lost quickness. Half the time I catch Favors standing around waiting for a pass that never comes. Kanter who has played well on offense looks like he forgot how to play tight defense. It almost looks like he is trying not to foul out and is playing soft defense. Don't save yourself big guy play hard, but try to play smart. I could go on but I'm just depressed.

C4 playing well for the most part. It's the rest of the team talent, that provides 000 relief.