What's new

The Jazz Organization Should Be Greatful

?? you think KOC makes the decision to hire anyone without consulting with the guy who's going to be paying the salary?

He may run it by him, but I'm sure Greg is just following his lead. Not the other way around. Greg isn't making the suggestions. KOC is. In fact I bet Greg has very little input.

He may run it by him, but I'm sure Greg is just following his lead. Not the other way around. Greg isn't making the suggestions. KOC is. In fact I bet Greg has very little input.
Greg is the CEO; he approves the monetary decisions. The Jazz have been in cost-saving mode since trading Harpring and Maynor for tax relief. Hiring and keeping Corbin saved them a ton of money (vs bringing in an established coach). Whoever is to blame...the decision needs to be corrected this summer with Ty's firing.

The funny part of Corbin's interview is that he says he is 'proud' of his players, they 'hung in there', bla bla bla...

This guy is an idiot. Not a competitor. Not a winner. He still only sees positive things despite not making it to the Playoffs.

It was a completely wasted season.

Especially stoping the growth of the young players for two horrible seasons is what gets me so frustrated.

When will the Corbin era finally end?!

The funny part of Corbin's interview is that he says he is 'proud' of his players, they 'hung in there', bla bla bla...

This guy is an idiot. Not a competitor. Not a winner. He still only sees positive things despite not making it to the Playoffs.

Especially stoping the growth of the young players for two horrible season is what gets me so frustrated.

When will the Corbin era end?!

That's the right question.

Especially stoping the growth of the young players for two horrible seasons is what gets me so frustrated.

When will the Corbin era finally end?!

I know we all want his head, but don't blame the dude for trying to sound positive. There's no shame in that, even though we all know it's complete ********!

Why do people always skip right over KOC and go straight to blaming Greg? This baffles me.

Simple. Greg signs off on the checks not KOC. You would never know how creative KOC can be unless he works for a owner who has deep pockets like a Paul Allen or Cuban and how gives more freedom to KOC. That doesnt mean KOC can be absolved of criticism. He definitely has to take a good part of the blame. But it also has to be shared by Greg.

In fact I find your observation quite contrary to the usual happenings on this board, where everyone forgets about Greg and criticizes only KOC or the coach most of the time.

The big picture, the problem with the Jazz not winning a championship yet has more to do with ownership limitations than anything else.It always has.

But hey, we all have to be grateful to the Millers eternally, you know. Because things could be worse. Atleast we have a team here. So lets drink to that and look forward to another long summer.

The guiding philosophy for a Jazz fan has always been - Keep your expectations modest enough, and you wouldnt be disappointed

In all fairness, the Millers could probably sell the Jazz franchise for a profit north of $100 million to a new owner who might move the franchise to who knows where.

Why would a new owner move the team? The Jazz have been top 10 in attendance for as far back as I can find the attendance data. And since the DC/ESA was built they've averaged a minimum of 18,332 people a game. For comparison sake that would rate 12th this year. Their average for the 22 seasons here is 19,442 per game, which is 5th best this year, though this year they did dip for the Jazz's standards and only averaged 18,680.

Salt Lake City is one of the best NBA markets in terms of attendance by far. Out of all the arenas that sit 19K or more people only Portland and Charlotte have a metro area about the same size as the Jazz do, and only Portland fills their arena up (and Portland also happens to be one of the best NBA markets for attendance).

Come to think of it, has an NBA team ever moved that has had such long term support? The Sonics are the closest I can think of but they played in a very small outdated arena and even then would only get 90% capacity in their later years. The Jazz's worst year at ESA was in line for the average year in terms of capacity for the Sonics in the 2000s.

Last edited:
Why do people always skip right over KOC and go straight to blaming Greg? This baffles me. People around here have some weird like and trust for him.

I wouldn't put any blame on Greg at this point. He has put all his trust in KOC. Thats who is making the decisions. Not Greg.

Is everyone around here really that against throwing some blame KOC's way?

I think KOC is trying a great many things. This year what did we need? 3 point shooting, defense on the wing and a PG. So he went out and got 3pt shooters one of who is a PG. He also brought in Marvin who is a great defender to go along with Favors and Hayward. KOC is trying to find players that fit the specific needs of the Jazz.

Corbin is the one who decides how to use them.

So in short I have a good opinion of KOC. Is he perfect? No, but I think he is good.

Why would a new owner move the team? The Jazz have been top 10 in attendance for as far back as I can find the attendance data. And since the DC/ESA was built they've averaged a minimum of 18,332 people a game. For comparison sake that would rate 12th this year. Their average for the 22 seasons here is 19,442 per game, which is 5th best this year, though this year they did dip for the Jazz's standards and only averaged 18,680.

Salt Lake City is one of the best NBA markets in terms of attendance by far. Out of all the arenas that sit 19K or more people only Portland and Charlotte have a metro area about the same size as the Jazz do, and only Portland fills their arena up (and Portland also happens to be one of the best NBA markets for attendance).

Come to think of it, has an NBA team ever moved that has had such long term support? The Sonics are the closest I can think of but they played in a very small outdated arena and even then would only get 90% capacity in their later years. The Jazz's worst year at ESA was in line for the average year in terms of capacity for the Sonics in the 2000s.

Attendance at the Utah Jazz ticket prices aren't a huge money earner. Local TV contracts are where the money is made and in merchandise. Salt Lake City is the 33 largest TV market in the US. There aren't 33 NBA teams. As long as Seattle doesn't have a team everyone should be concerned.

The Millers won't sell the team unless financially they have to and they would be very strategic about who'd they sell to. Can you imagine the local backlash if they sell the team and they move? Let's say Joe Schmoe is out to buy a car and he was a casual Jazz fan. He can buy a Toyota from Ken Garff or the company that sold the Jazz. Where's he gonna go?