What's new

The Move Forward Plan - NO TANK DISCUSSION IN THIS THREAD

Definitely go after Bridges in free agency. Beyond that, the only name that really sticks out to me is KAT. Already has interest from the Knicks and Minny has indicated that they want to run it back with their core. But they have tax issues and I’m sure they’d love to get a pick or two back along with Collins and Hendricks.

What do you mean?

I mean that if John Collins had the exact same year for another team, we might take him into our cap space just like we did last season. I'm not sure the Jazz have much better use of the cap space. John Collins was always an opportunity cost proposition and unsurprisingly Utah Jazz cap space does not have a ton of value.

Put it another way, if John Collins did not exist....our options would likely be taking on other unwanted contracts or trying to sign someone to a Bruce Brown type of contract. Maybe those options are slightly preferred, but cap space options aren't great for the Jazz even if we had $25M extra.

I mean that if John Collins had the exact same year for another team, we might take him into our cap space just like we did last season. I'm not sure the Jazz have much better use of the cap space. John Collins was always an opportunity cost proposition and unsurprisingly Utah Jazz cap space does not have a ton of value.

Put it another way, if John Collins did not exist....our options would likely be taking on other unwanted contracts or trying to sign someone to a Bruce Brown type of contract. Maybe those options are slightly preferred, but cap space options aren't great for the Jazz even if we had $25M extra.
So, I guess what you're saying, is that he's been able to maintain his value of Rudy Gay and a second round pick (and a willing taker).

68525abd-33c9-47ab-ae37-6dda07c08117_text.gif

I can't be sure what the Jazz are thinking, but they reportedly are wanting to trade Collins, and so I think they would disagree with you.

Personally, I can think of a lot of better ways to use the cap space.

I can't be sure what the Jazz are thinking, but they reportedly are wanting to trade Collins, and so I think they would disagree with you.

Personally, I can think of a lot of better ways to use the cap space.

This would be the thread to name those better ways.

This is the move forward with our current roster that has John Collins on it thread, not the hypothetical if we never signed John Collins last year thread.

I don't think John Collins has to be part of the move forward plan. That was never part of the instructions. This is where we are all talking about all options moving forward. If you think we can sign a max FA for example, that would require trading Collins/Clarkson but would also be moving forward. Keeping John Collins and having him take up the cap space is just one way to move forward.

Now, if all your ideas are just to use potential cap space in a tanking manner, I think you are proving my point that if the Jazz were using that cap space to move forward.....John Collins would absolutely be an option for them. I'm going through the options of any use of cap space in this thread and they are not great. I think the only FA that is realistic that JC/JC is preventing us from getting could be Hartenstein....but it's possible we get him anyways.

I brought up the hypothetical to show that whether we have $20M in cap space or $45M in cap space after Lauri....there's not much of a difference. Clearing Collins doesn't open up a lot of options for us to get better.

I mean some people wanted him after a worse season the year prior, so yeah, most likely he'd be a favorite among some

Back