What's new

The Non-Jazz NBA Thread in the Jazz Section

Speaking of Lebron… the quote last night about “why haven’t y’all asked me about the Jerry Jones photo… y’all asked me about Kyrie but not that?!?!?”

I’m normally a Lebron apologist… can look past him passing on speaking out against China when given the chance… but this is dumb. They asked you about Kyrie cuz you are like pretty close with the guy… not cuz they trying to get your opinion on every effing thing that happens. Trying to do some weird gotcha here is cringy.

Assuming it means they have a move in mind ready to go and are doing him a solid to get on another team? Or maybe they are cheap bastards?
They cheap… I wonder when his guaranteed date is. I doubt they have something lined up for 12/15 that they are this sure about but maybe.

For them that’s basically Steph level. I get that he’s not amazing but it’s hard to shoot high percentages in limited court time and he was probably their best spot up guy… he’ll they were calling end of game plays for him when they needed threes. Ryan will find a home.
He is not a very good player. I think odds are that he heads to the gleague rather than finding a spot on another teams roster.

Speaking of Lebron… the quote last night about “why haven’t y’all asked me about the Jerry Jones photo… y’all asked me about Kyrie but not that?!?!?”

I’m normally a Lebron apologist… can look past him passing on speaking out against China when given the chance… but this is dumb. They asked you about Kyrie cuz you are like pretty close with the guy… not cuz they trying to get your opinion on every effing thing that happens. Trying to do some weird gotcha here is cringy.

This Jerry Jones photo thing is crazy to me. He is literally standing at the back of the picture just watching and it happened at his school. I bet pretty much the entire school was outside watching what was going on.

This Jerry Jones photo thing is crazy to me. He is literally standing at the back of the picture just watching and it happened at his school. I bet pretty much the entire school was outside watching what was going on.
Nah, he was definitely not just there to see what happened. There's writing about that day from local papers and personnel accounts. The people who werent with it stayed home.

• Dislike
Reactions: sip

I'd agree with that, but I do agree with Bron that the media is very selective about what gets big. Granted that has a lot to do a lot with what gets clicks, so it's kind of a circle. Still think the Brett Farve story should have been way bigger than it was.

Nah, he was definitely not just there to see what happened. There's writing about that day from local papers and personnel accounts. The people who werent with it stayed home.
Was it on a normal school day? Also to say that people that weren't with it just stayed home is most likely not true at all. My understanding is that this was pretty historic moment so there were probably a lot of people wanted to see what was going on.

Oh gawd. I didnt know about this Jerry Jones thing until now that I googled it up. Are they really judging some 1950s event based on 2022 standards?

Oh gawd. I didnt know about this Jerry Jones thing until now that I googled it up. Are they really judging some 1950s event based on 2022 standards?
I agree a bit, of course people can change and what not, but it's still important to call balls and strikes. Just because it was 1950 doesnt give you a pass for siding with the racist majority.

I think completely villainizing someone over something they may or may not have done in high school based on a single picture is ridiculous in the extreme, especially given the time elapsed. What have you done for me lately is what matters. None of us are the same people now we were in high school. I sure as hell have things I don't want to see dragged out into public display, because I was a stupid kid, as were most of us at one point or another, and many still are, no matter their age, and I did dumb and embarrassing things back then. Hell, I do dumb things all the time. We have entered a bizarro world where the slightest hint of imperfection, from decades ago, are enough to draw the ire of the cancel crowd and have your current reputation dragged through the mud over **** like that no matter how long ago it was. It is so stupid and juvenile. Was he racist then? Does this picture prove it? Is he racist now? Do his actions and words now support the allegation of racism or not.? And no, I am not talking about the inevitable apology theater, hand-crafted statements from his PR team. I mean what he does and how he acts in daily life. That is what matters. Not what mistakes we made in the past, but did we learn from them and are we better now for it. This mob mentality around this **** just has to stop. Different times had different norms and lead inevitably to....today, and hopefully to us all learning and growing and becoming better people from those experiences. We can't go back and change it. Today is what matters, not 60 years ago. Barring straight up illegal and horrible ****, like murder or rape or messing with kids or whatever, the things we said and did 30, 40, 50, and 60 years ago should not matter RIGHT NOW.

Hell my white Mormon friends and I rode around in my car singing out loud to 2 Live Crew, because that was the most rebellious we would really get. Sometimes with a few black kids from school or from the basketball team as well. Look out, I am swearing dad! So I said the N-word out loud, sang it out loud, in my car, along with 2 Live Crew and that group of friends. So should I now be canceled despite the fact that I have grown and become a completely different person since then who feels ridiculous and stupid thinking about it now, and do my very best to not just mitigate but correct racism and bigotry wherever I can? Or does nothing matter except the fact that I sang that word out loud in my car when I was 16 and stupid,? Do I need to start cataloging everything stupid I ever did, admit to it, then issue apologies since inevitably someone somewhere will be traumatized when they hear I said or did something offensive 40 years ago? How stupid.

Good hell this **** really needs to stop.

Along these same lines, does anyone want to guess what the #1 insulting thing you could call another boy, from one boy to another, was in the 80's? What was the 1 thing at least 90% of young boys at that time called each other, that we felt sounded bad but not bad enough to get us in huge trouble if an adult overheard us? Any guesses?

I agree a bit, of course people can change and what not, but it's still important to call balls and strikes. Just because it was 1950 doesnt give you a pass for siding with the racist majority.
But what does a "pass" mean in this context? That he is allowed to live the life he is living without being judged for something stupid he did 50 years ago? So he deserves to be raked over the coals for that so he doesn't get a proverbial "pass"? That accomplishes what exactly? That kind of thinking is just so stupid.

I think completely villainizing someone over something they may or may not have done in high school based on a single picture is ridiculous in the extreme, especially given the time elapsed. What have you done for me lately is what matters. None of us are the same people now we were in high school. I sure as hell have things I don't want to see dragged out into public display, because I was a stupid kid, as were most of us at one point or another, and many still are, no matter their age, and I did dumb and embarrassing things back then. Hell, I do dumb things all the time. We have entered a bizarro world where the slightest hint of imperfection, from decades ago, are enough to draw the ire of the cancel crowd and have your current reputation dragged through the mud over **** like that no matter how long ago it was. It is so stupid and juvenile. Was he racist then? Does this picture prove it? Is he racist now? Do his actions and words now support the allegation of racism or not.? And no, I am not talking about the inevitable apology theater, hand-crafted statements from his PR team. I mean what he does and how he acts in daily life. That is what matters. Not what mistakes we made in the past, but did we learn from them and are we better now for it. This mob mentality around this **** just has to stop. Different times had different norms and lead inevitably to....today, and hopefully to us all learning and growing and becoming better people from those experiences. We can't go back and change it. Today is what matters, not 60 years ago. Barring straight up illegal and horrible ****, like murder or rape or messing with kids or whatever, the things we said and did 30, 40, 50, and 60 years ago should not matter RIGHT NOW.

Hell my white Mormon friends and I rode around in my car singing out loud to 2 Live Crew, because that was the most rebellious we would really get. Sometimes with a few black kids from school or from the basketball team as well. Look out, I am swearing dad! So I said the N-word out loud, sang it out loud, in my car, along with 2 Live Crew and that group of friends. So should I now be canceled despite the fact that I have grown and become a completely different person since then who feels ridiculous and stupid thinking about it now, and do my very best to not just mitigate but correct racism and bigotry wherever I can? Or does nothing matter except the fact that I sang that word out loud in my car when I was 16 and stupid,? Do I need to start cataloging everything stupid I ever did, admit to it, then issue apologies since inevitably someone somewhere will be traumatized when they hear I said or did something offensive 40 years ago? How stupid.

Good hell this **** really needs to stop.

Along these same lines, does anyone want to guess what the #1 insulting thing you could call another boy, from one boy to another, was in the 80's? What was the 1 thing at least 90% of young boys at that time called each other, that we felt sounded bad but not bad enough to get us in huge trouble if an adult overheard us? Any guesses?
A gay slur? 3 letters long? Thats my guess

But what does a "pass" mean in this context? That he is allowed to live the life he is living without being judged for something stupid he did 50 years ago? So he deserves to be raked over the coals for that so he doesn't get a proverbial "pass"? That accomplishes what exactly? That kind of thinking is just so stupid.
"Something stupid"

There is racism in todays world as well. Digging up photos from a racist era (with 2022 standards, we should probably imprison 50% of white population over the age of 80) and having these conversations dont really bridge the gap and heal the world, it just stirs up more ****, creates new wounds and feeds the hate that exists.

The idea that calling stuff what it is and holding people accountable for past actions is calling to cancel them is ridiculous. No one is "cancelling" a billionaire.

A gay slur? 3 letters long? Thats my guess
bingo

you know, as in you got it right....not that bingo is a slur. Although in today's world. who knows? Someone will find a way to be offended by it.