What's new

The Official 'cool cars that you like n stuff" Thread

Tesla has a significant technological advantage over others though. It's not like Ford can just come out with a car that gets 200+ miles per charge, earn a 5 star safety rating, and win Motor Trend card of the year, and keep it under $70k. That's why demand for Tesla has exceeded their production capacity for the past couple of years. You might be right about it being a niche product, but that's only for the time being. EVs may be a few years away from becoming mainstream, but Tesla continue to building their charging infrastructure, and their reputation. I would be very surprised if they fail to gain traction with a more affordable product.

I know it's difficult to imagine things changing, but thing do change. And they change all the time. EVs offer many advantages over gasoline cars, and it's a matter of time before they catch on. And Tesla has a head-start on others.

But hey, who knows? You might be right. If a bigger company comes up with a comparable car for an affordable price, I'd buy that instead!

The biggest problem with this car becoming mainstream is the availability of lithium. I would place my money on hydrogen in the long run.

The biggest problem with this car becoming mainstream is the availability of lithium. I would place my money on hydrogen in the long run.

Lithium is abundant.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi...sCustomisedMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false

More importantly, lithium-ion battery technology is reaching its physical limits. Given the fact technology is forever-advancing, expect lithium to be replaced within 20 years at most. But in the long run, it's possible that hydrogen will prevail in the long run (say 50 years). There is a significant sector of futurists who think hydrogen will prevail, including David Brin, whose opinion I highly value.

Tesla has a significant technological advantage over others though. It's not like Ford can just come out with a car that gets 200+ miles per charge, earn a 5 star safety rating, and win Motor Trend card of the year, and keep it under $70k. That's why demand for Tesla has exceeded their production capacity for the past couple of years. You might be right about it being a niche product, but that's only for the time being. EVs may be a few years away from becoming mainstream, but Tesla continue to building their charging infrastructure, and their reputation. I would be very surprised if they fail to gain traction with a more affordable product.

I know it's difficult to imagine things changing, but thing do change. And they change all the time. EVs offer many advantages over gasoline cars, and it's a matter of time before they catch on. And Tesla has a head-start on others.

But hey, who knows? You might be right. If a bigger company comes up with a comparable car for an affordable price, I'd buy that instead!

Not the way I was approaching it at all. I'll give more details on the business side later on.

Lithium is abundant.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi...sCustomisedMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false

More importantly, lithium-ion battery technology is reaching its physical limits. Given the fact technology is forever-advancing, expect lithium to be replaced within 20 years at most. But in the long run, it's possible that hydrogen will prevail in the long run (say 50 years). There is a significant sector of futurists who think hydrogen will prevail, including David Brin, whose opinion I highly value.
Hmmm
https://large.stanford.edu/courses/2010/ph240/eason2/
I will (somewhat arbitrarily) base my analysis on the Nissan Leaf electric car, which has a 24 kW·h battery. [11] There are electric cars with smaller batteries than the Leaf (e.g., Chevrolet Volt) and larger batteries (e.g., Tesla Model S), so the Leaf's battery strikes a rough median.

If all other lithium industries suddenly evaporated, we could imagine using the entire world lithium production to make nothing but Nissan Leafs. At 2 × 107 kg of lithium per year, we can make 8.3 million of them. Using all 9.9 × 109 kg of the world's lithium reserves, we can make 4.1 billion Leafs; using all the identified lithium resources (2.55 × 1010 kg), we can make 10.6 billion Leafs.

This suggests to me that if all the world's cars are going to be made electric, it is likely that a mixture of battery technologies will be used. It is certainly possible to build millions of electric vehicles with lithium-ion batteries, but it may not be possible to make billions of them.

The production capacity depends on demand. If demand spiked, so would production. There is enough accesible lithium (according to your link) to produce 4 times as many EVs as the total number of cars in existence today. If we're talking about all proven lithium reserves, that's nearly 9x the number of total cars. And that doesn't take into account ANY advances in technology, from the simple increase of surface area of the graphite anode, to the more sophisticated lithium-air version of the technology. I can't predict the very long term prospects of EVs. I'm only speculating about the next 20 or so years. And it seems there is enough lithium for the foreseeable future.

The production capacity depends on demand. If demand spiked, so would production. There is enough accesible lithium (according to your link) to produce 4 times as many EVs as the total number of cars in existence today. If we're talking about all proven lithium reserves, that's nearly 9x the number of total cars. And that doesn't take into account ANY advances in technology, from the simple increase of surface area of the graphite anode, to the more sophisticated lithium-air version of the technology. I can't predict the very long term prospects of EVs. I'm only speculating about the next 20 or so years. And it seems there is enough lithium for the foreseeable future.

The batteries are already prohibitively expensive. There is not enough lithium for Evs to become mainstream not because it doesn't exist, but because it has other uses and EVs won't be able to bring the costs down low enough.(the more that are made the higher the costs will become)

Don't get me wrong. Evs that run on lithium batteries are an important part of the transportation future, but I don't see them ever breaking 25% of cars sold, and that's being generous.

Last edited:
What ever happened to Nikola Tesla's free power for everyone discovery?
Oh Yeah...... the FBI ceased all of that research after his death.
Imagine that.....

What ever happened to Nikola Tesla's free power for everyone discovery?
Oh Yeah...... the FBI ceased all of that research after his death.
Imagine that.....

Delete post before you are shipped to Guantanamo.

PS there are a lot of "free energy" sources out there. Problem is try running your car off an Earth Battery.