What's new

The official "let's impeach Trump" thread

Blah blah blah. Yes your feelings are hurt.

Meanwhile, the world is passing you by.

Byeeeee
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hope he enjoys being a Trump Troll for a little more than 4 more months.

As we deal with a neofascist president, here is a synopsis of the history of fascism in the United States:

https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2020/06/22/american-fascism-it-has-happened-here/

As militarized police in riot gear and armored vehicles barreled into peaceful protesters in cities across America, and its president emerged from a bunker to have citizens tear-gassed on his way to a church he’d never attended, holding a Bible he’d never read, many people recalled a famous saying often misattributed to Sinclair Lewis’s 1935 novel It Can’t Happen Here: “When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.” Because Lewis’s novel is the best remembered of the many warnings against American fascism in the interwar years, he has latterly been credited with the admonition, but they are not Lewis’s words.

The adage probably originated instead with James Waterman Wise, son of the eminent American rabbi Stephen Wise and one of the many voices at the time urging Americans to recognize fascism as a serious domestic threat. “The America of power and wealth,” Wise cautioned, is “an America which needs fascism.” American fascism might emerge from “patriotic orders, such as the American Legion and the Daughters of the American Revolution… and it may come to us wrapped in the American flag or a Hearst newspaper.” In another talk that year, he put it slightly differently: American fascism would likely come “wrapped up in the American flag and heralded as a plea for liberty and preservation of the constitution.”

An American fascism would, by definition, deploy American symbols and American slogans. “Do not look for them to raise aloft the swastika,” Wise warned, “or to employ any of the popular forms of Fascism” from Europe. Fascism’s ultra-nationalism means that it works by normalizing itself, drawing on familiar national customs to insist it is merely conducting political business as usual......
It’s (a) in the elevation of some (illusory) conception of a “folk” way of life, (b) in the myriad of ways where that conception is naturalized within public consciousness (i.e. wherever the model of reality that is produced in the initial illusory concept is accepted as reality itself; wherever the model falls into empiricism), and then followed by (c) a myriad of ways wherein that folk is placed above other folks in racist heuristics.

America has always had a fascism problem.

Reactions: Red
It’s (a) in the elevation of some (illusory) conception of a “folk” way of life, (b) in the myriad of ways where that conception is naturalized within public consciousness (i.e. wherever the model of reality that is produced in the initial illusory concept is accepted as reality itself; wherever the model falls into empiricism), and then followed by (c) a myriad of ways wherein that folk is placed above other folks in racist heuristics.

America has always had a fascism problem.

That was an excellent article. I recommend it to anyone who wants to better place Trump in an historical context. Understanding the past informs the present. There’s nothing new under the sun.

One of the most disappointing things I’ve seen in the last two years (and there have certainly been a lot) has been the lack of oversight that House Democrats have provided. They’re bringing plastic knives to a gun fight. I honestly don’t know why they aren’t impeaching everyone in this administration on a weekly basis. Heck, they got even more tips from John Bolton’s nightly interviews on Colbert and others. Who cares what the Senate does? That’s on them. It’s on the House to hold this administration accountable and reveal its crimes to the American public.

Trump, Barr, Pompeo, etc all need to be prosecuted when this is over. I honestly don’t care much about actual legislation under Biden. It would be nice to provide universal health care and get something done about gerrymandering and mail in voting. I do care passionately about restoring competence and integrity back to our federal government. If this administration isn’t prosecuted then I fear that in 2024 or 2028 we’ll see something far worse than Trump.
LOL. Do you even read your own posts? By your measures how could anything far worse than Trump possibly exist. There is not a single thing he has ever done that you believe has the slightest redeeming quality.

Retweeted a video where some dude was saying White Power 15 seconds in quite cleanly.

The whole video is pretty toxic in showing extremes and making us all look ridiculous.
This. I care less about the white power part than I do that president just likes tweeting videos showing how sucky our society is right now while he is running the show.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

LOL. Do you even read your own posts? By your measures how could anything far worse than Trump possibly exist. There is not a single thing he has ever done that you believe has the slightest redeeming quality.
Good post. Trump is the worst. There will never be someone worse in his position. Come on thriller

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

This morning on Morning Joe. David Ignatius said Pentagon officials were “pounding down the door”, trying to get Trump to do something about Putin paying bounties for killing American servicemen: