What's new

The official: Please tank properly this year.

I am shocked that a poorly coached team has communication issues on crucial inbound plays.
Might be a consequence of putting a rookie in that situation.

Tanking is done by the FO /thread

We are not tanking this year. We have a couple guys (Including an all-star) that are too good to make that happen.
We are likely gonna be a middling team striving for a playoff spot.

BUT
That's what makes us special. We have a couple promising young guys + a **** load of picks.
We are "rebuilding" in a way we haven't before.
I agree with most of this... I will say that with how competitive the west is and how few tanking team there are that if we really struggle out of the gate we have some tanking options the front office and coaching staff could collaborate on. The opportunity is not as big as it was last year but who knows how the college and G League season plays out.

The tanking recipe looks like this... continue to struggle and then get hit with an injury. Maybe not even super serious but like a Lauri 2-3 week ankle. Then you get a trade offer for KO and JC that you like. Now we have Hendricks firmly in the rotation... we give JC's minutes to Ochai and tell him to cook. If you create holes in the rotation that are filled with negative or extremely negative nba players (young players generally are among the most negative) then you will lose games. Its a no lose situation because if those young players end up being positive... well then you are on to something.

So a proper bottom 4 tank nah... a bottom 6-7 tank maybe... bottom 10 might happen on accident. Obviously if you end up getting lucky and landing a top 4 pick this year I think its an okay trade off. If you stay at 6-8 I'm not sure its worth the "effort". If we play it straight and give the pick to OKC and its 12-14... shrug... its not ideal but I'm not salivating at the prospects in this draft thus far. Just pay your "stupid tax" and move on.

I agree with most of this... I will say that with how competitive the west is and how few tanking team there are that if we really struggle out of the gate we have some tanking options the front office and coaching staff could collaborate on. The opportunity is not as big as it was last year but who knows how the college and G League season plays out.

The tanking recipe looks like this... continue to struggle and then get hit with an injury. Maybe not even super serious but like a Lauri 2-3 week ankle. Then you get a trade offer for KO and JC that you like. Now we have Hendricks firmly in the rotation... we give JC's minutes to Ochai and tell him to cook. If you create holes in the rotation that are filled with negative or extremely negative nba players (young players generally are among the most negative) then you will lose games. Its a no lose situation because if those young players end up being positive... well then you are on to something.

So a proper bottom 4 tank nah... a bottom 6-7 tank maybe... bottom 10 might happen on accident. Obviously if you end up getting lucky and landing a top 4 pick this year I think its an okay trade off. If you stay at 6-8 I'm not sure its worth the "effort". If we play it straight and give the pick to OKC and its 12-14... shrug... its not ideal but I'm not salivating at the prospects in this draft thus far. Just pay your "stupid tax" and move on.
I agree with everything except handing OKC the '24 pick. There's obviously not a Wemby in the next draft but there could be 2-3 potential stars headlined by Sarr. There also look to be alot of really nice roleplayers that could be available. Conveying a 11-14 pick to OKC would be pretty bad especially when you consider they also own the Rockets FRP top 4 protected next draft. Thunder already have so much more young talent than the Jazz. They really missed their opportunity to tank last year but keeping the '24 pick should be a top priority nonetheless. If they can draft a legit top 5 guy and add a few other pieces thru trade/FA I do believe it's not out of the question their pick could be closer to late teens/ 20's by 2025 where they would already own both the Minn and Cle picks as well.

I've watched a bit of Wemby and also OKC this season and there is quite a talent gap between them and the Jazz. I personally would prefer them to develop the kids this season while trying to keep their '24 pick. Considering the current landscape of the WC, that seems to me the smarter path for the long term future.

If we can go 0-3 on the rest of this road trip then we are set up nicely. Odds are we would then look to make a win now move though rather than do the smart thing and focus on a youth movement.

I'm intrigued by Cleveland's potential to give the Jazz a lottery pick as soon as the '25 draft. They need to convince Mitchell to extend with them, or they'll trade him to another team as just a short-term rental. Jarrett Allen hasn't been healthy consistently. Garland isn't going to carry their perimeter offense. They'll also need to pay Evan Mobley and have a lot of money tied up in Garland, Mobley and Allen.

Below is what our competition has been doing. It's Sam Hinkie-style "Trust the Process" kind of stuff.

OKC
2021 - Drafted Josh Giddey (#6)
2022 - Drafted Chet Holmgren (#2), Ousmane Dieng (#11), Jalen Williams (#12)
2023 - Drafted Cason Wallace (#12)
They're loading up with lottery talent. No playoff appearances those seasons. They added 5 lottery talents around SGA.

HOU
2021 - Drafted Jalen Green (#2)
2022 - Drafted Jabari Smith (#3)
2023 - Drafted Amen Thompson (#4)
They're loading up with Top 5 picks. No playoff appearances those seasons.

SAS
2020 - Drafted Devin Vassell (#11)
2021 - Drafted Joshua Primo (#12)
2022 - Drafted Jeremy Sochan (#9)
2023 - Drafted Victor Wembanyama (#1)
They're loading up with lottery talent. No playoff appearances those season.

Last edited:
That's the main point. Getting talents through drat is mandatory for a small market. OKC was bad many years to allow them to get high pick. SA did tank hard only last year because they wanted to have Victor and get lucky. This is why i think we may wait another 4-6 games and if we still bad, tank as hard as we can.

Below is what our competition has been doing. It's Sam Hinkie-style "Trust the Process" kind of stuff.

OKC
They're loading up with lottery talent. No playoff appearances those seasons. They added 5 lottery talents around SGA.

HOU

SAS
I hate the fact that SAS gets huge credit for getting lucky 1 year. Like everyone been praising them in the media for being some sort of geniouses.

Anyone with half a brain realizes that Rockets or Pistons were the REAL tryhard tankers. And if either gets Wemby its much more of a "game over" situation.

Like imagine Green/Duren/Smith/Wemby? Or Cade+Wemby as a duo?

Reactions: CVJ
I got so much **** from people here for wanting to lose games last year after the 10-3 start. Looks like I was right. And since we couldn’t tank properly we now have to get a top 3-5 pick and trade Markkanen in the off-season. Obviously it would be better to trade Markkanen as soon as possible but then you tend to get less value for in season trades.

I guess the good part is that the West is so strong this year, and since there isnt a generational talent on the line, just being the worse wont really take all that much effort.

We are riding a bunch of vets and somehow still find ourselves down big at home against a Magic team that's running their young guys
That’s what happens when a team features mediocre guards, and freezing out your number one option because of it. And we aren’t running hardly any action for him inside the 3pt line. He’s basically become a volume 3pt shooter. Yes he’s a great 3pt shooter but it’s making our offense and him easy to defend.
Oh now that I see the replay Keyonte was drifting to the 3pt like and Kelly threw it like he would go for 2. Kelly was right. Jazz only need one and Kelly wa throwing into a wide open middy

I hate the fact that SAS gets huge credit for getting lucky 1 year. Like everyone been praising them in the media for being some sort of geniouses.

Anyone with half a brain realizes that Rockets or Pistons were the REAL tryhard tankers. And if either gets Wemby its much more of a "game over" situation.

Like imagine Green/Duren/Smith/Wemby? Or Cade+Wemby as a duo?

San Antonio also gets Toronto's pick this year. So San Antonio could be adding two more lottery picks. Assume that they'll get a quality PG with one of them.

OKC

HOU

SAS

We can add Detroit and Orlando...

DET
2021 - Drafted Cade Cunningham (#1)
2022 - Drafted Jaden Ivey (#5)
2023 - Drafted Ausar Thompson (#5).

ORL
2021 - Drafted Franz Wagner (#8)
2022 - Drafted Paolo Banchero (#1)
2023 - Drafted Anthony Black (#6)

Jazz have one top-5 pick on their roster, and it's...... Kris Dunn.