What's new

The official: Please tank properly this year.

This is a tanking team. We have to do nothing more. Just start the rookie guard asap and built the chemistry with him and our bigs. Get the 1st rounder in the summer and be active in the FA and trade market - find veteran mentors and some wing that can pass a bit. I thats not the plan then sell Lauri high so he does not have to waste his whole prime with this...

If the Jazz put forth many more efforts like yesterday, it's time to let all three rookies play big minutes along with Kessler and Ochai.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up that we are going to do a proper tank. It sucks that we are wasting the end of these blowout losses by not having Hendricks or Sensabaugh with the team. They could be getting a decent amount of minutes.

Ainge already told us last year that he loves this upcoming '24 draft. The '23 draft looked better to me but it is what it is.

I see no way in hell he's conveying the pick to OKC next June.

I am definitely not the tank guy….but whatever we gained for holding on last and keeping the vets so long probably wasn’t worth it. I don’t think it will be worth it this year either. I feel like people think tanking is the fail proof universal plan that always works. I am not in that camp, but I recognize that whatever the Jazz are doing now is hairy. It does feel like they are just riding off the good vibes of last year’s overachievement.

Feels like Lauri is drowning. I do believe that having 1 star is almost always better than having zero. But you can’t extend the period you have one star year after year.

I know we all think Lauri is gonna stay and we can renegotiate+extend….but we are still a mediocre at best team with their star player about to hit FA. I’m positive that if we were fans of other teams we’d be chomping at the bit to get Lauri and see it as a possibility.

I am definitely not the tank guy….but whatever we gained for holding on last and keeping the vets so long probably wasn’t worth it. I don’t think it will be worth it this year either. I feel like people think tanking is the fail proof universal plan that always works. I am not in that camp, but I recognize that whatever the Jazz are doing now is hairy. It does feel like they are just riding off the good vibes of last year’s overachievement.

Feels like Lauri is drowning. I do believe that having 1 star is almost always better than having zero. But you can’t extend the period you have one star year after year.

I know we all think Lauri is gonna stay and we can renegotiate+extend….but we are still a mediocre at best team with their star player about to hit FA. I’m positive that if we were fans of other teams we’d be chomping at the bit to get Lauri and see it as a possibility.
Saying tankers think it’s a fool proof plan is layering on an absolute that any tanker with half a brain would tell you is incorrect. There is no fool proof strategy… it’s all selecting from low probability strategies. Tanking is a mixed bag like any strategy… but of the low probability strategies it’s one of the best. We absolutely hosed ourselves last year. This year the rewards for tanking seem less good but at this point we either burn assets to win a bit more now or ride the combo guard bus to tank town. We don’t have control on trades as it takes 2 to tango…

Every year there are 29 failures… gotta have top end talent… we are so far away it seems that considering trade proposals for Lauri might be more likely than trading for star 2. Apparently there was a lot of fools gold last year.

No need to tank.

Draft Bronny. Sign Lebron. Win Championship.

That is our only path forward.

P.S The profanity laced speech at the Championship parade on South Temple will be epic. I can't wait!

Last edited:
Saying tankers think it’s a fool proof plan is layering on an absolute that any tanker with half a brain would tell you is incorrect. There is no fool proof strategy… it’s all selecting from low probability strategies. Tanking is a mixed bag like any strategy… but of the low probability strategies it’s one of the best. We absolutely hosed ourselves last year. This year the rewards for tanking seem less good but at this point we either burn assets to win a bit more now or ride the combo guard bus to tank town. We don’t have control on trades as it takes 2 to tango…

Every year there are 29 failures… gotta have top end talent… we are so far away it seems that considering trade proposals for Lauri might be more likely than trading for star 2. Apparently there was a lot of fools gold last year.

There was a little hyperbole in my statement for sure….but I guess what I mean is that I still think some think it’s the only way to proceed or they are biased that way because they are hooked on a dream. Even now, it feels like a lot of the “we should have tanked for Wemby” guys are speaking from a place where we would actually have Wemby if we had only tanked. It doesn’t work that way, and the decision to tank is more nuanced than flipping a switch.

We can both agree that holding on the vets was kinda pointless, but I think you and I are both rational enough to understand that we were not deciding between half a year of Conley+Vando+Beasley or having Wemby. I don’t think the more nuanced approach to tanking you presented reflects how all pro-tank people think….or at act.

Last edited:
I put all of the blame so far this year on Danny, and I don't actually believe this is what he was going for.

I do. What do you expect a guard rotation of Jordan Clarkson, Colin Sexton and THT are going to do? And after trading out most of our talent from the previous roster, what assets did Danny trade to bring in a talented, starting-level player?

I do. What do you expect a guard rotation of Jordan Clarkson, Colin Sexton and THT are going to do? And after trading out most of our talent from the previous roster, what assets did Danny trade to bring in a talented, starting-level player?

Personally, I expected us to be bad, maybe not quite this bad, but Ainge said his expectations were the playoffs. We were obviously interested in adding talent, but Ainge was too cheap to pull the trigger. We re-signed Clarkson and added Collins, taking on his large contract in the process. I believe that Ainge felt like Hardy would figure it out and work miracles like he did last year. There were a lot of people that felt like we were a shoo in for the play in this year. There have also been multiple reports indicating we wanted our pick to convey this year.