What's new

The Official Trade Paul Millsap Thread

Way too early to talk about trading Sap? More like it is way to late. Should have traded him at the draft to move up and get Lillard. I still believe that a deal with Sacrament could have and should have been done. Sacramento didn't need a PG... what they needed was to surround Cousins with a true pro who is a starter at PF... thats Sap. With Sap they then have 2 consummate pro's in Sap and CHuck Hayes. The offer would have been simple: Millsap and GSW pick for #5 plus we take on the final year of Garcia. I don't see how they don't do that deal... they get Millsap at his prime from 27-33 on a reasonable contract, they get a lottery pick and all they give up on is another lottery pick that won't be good because they are Sacramento and it was a bad draft. Also, T Robinson will take time to develop and has Derrick Williams written all over him....Sacramento needed maturity and a pick...

Too soon to trade Sap? With Sap slumping it may be too Late!

Way too early to talk about trading Sap? More like it is way to late. Should have traded him at the draft to move up and get Lillard. I still believe that a deal with Sacrament could have and should have been done. Sacramento didn't need a PG... what they needed was to surround Cousins with a true pro who is a starter at PF... thats Sap. With Sap they then have 2 consummate pro's in Sap and CHuck Hayes. The offer would have been simple: Millsap and GSW pick for #5 plus we take on the final year of Garcia. I don't see how they don't do that deal... they get Millsap at his prime from 27-33 on a reasonable contract, they get a lottery pick and all they give up on is another lottery pick that won't be good because they are Sacramento and it was a bad draft. Also, T Robinson will take time to develop and has Derrick Williams written all over him....Sacramento needed maturity and a pick...

Too soon to trade Sap? With Sap slumping it may be too Late!

We are on the same page.

Sometimes you have to make bold moves to move forward. At this point going after Gasol is bold or trading Jeff/Sap for picks and going young is bold. I would take on Perkins in OKC if it got us all those good picks too... thats bold with huge upside. Resigning either Jeff/Sap is giving in to wanting butts in seats, and mediocrity. In my mind the funnest season of the last 10-12 was the AK, Bell, Harpring year of 41 and 41 when everyone thought we would lose the most games in one season all time and we were a scrappy fun team to watch. But the truth is we have no star, and until we get one to pair with our near star or upcoming star (Favors) and our good players (Hayward, Burks, Kanter) we will stay mediocre. Gasol is that. If we can't land him I say trade Sap for the best picks possible or if possible Bledsoe/Odom for Sap. Then sign and trade Jefferson in the off season for the TPE. The TPE may be the most valuable thing we can get for Sap if he doesn't cut it for the Lakers to get Gasol, or if Houston isn't willing to give up Parson or Patterson/Morris etc. I would love to trade Sap/Tinsley for Perkins/Tor pick/Dallas Pick/Maynor. My preferred trade is Sap/Mo Williams/Raja for Gasol.

We can like Millsap and Jefferson all we want, but both are the kind of guys we can always get if we want to. We got Jefferson because Minnesota had another up and coming star in his position and didn't want to pay the last $42M of his deal. We can sign and trade Jefferson like we did Boozer and then find a player who fits the TPException, same with Millsap.

Sometimes you have to make bold moves to move forward. At this point going after Gasol is bold or trading Jeff/Sap for picks and going young is bold. I would take on Perkins in OKC if it got us all those good picks too... thats bold with huge upside. Resigning either Jeff/Sap is giving in to wanting butts in seats, and mediocrity. In my mind the funnest season of the last 10-12 was the AK, Bell, Harpring year of 41 and 41 when everyone thought we would lose the most games in one season all time and we were a scrappy fun team to watch. But the truth is we have no star, and until we get one to pair with our near star or upcoming star (Favors) and our good players (Hayward, Burks, Kanter) we will stay mediocre. Gasol is that. If we can't land him I say trade Sap for the best picks possible or if possible Bledsoe/Odom for Sap. Then sign and trade Jefferson in the off season for the TPE. The TPE may be the most valuable thing we can get for Sap if he doesn't cut it for the Lakers to get Gasol, or if Houston isn't willing to give up Parson or Patterson/Morris etc. I would love to trade Sap/Tinsley for Perkins/Tor pick/Dallas Pick/Maynor. My preferred trade is Sap/Mo Williams/Raja for Gasol.

We can like Millsap and Jefferson all we want, but both are the kind of guys we can always get if we want to. We got Jefferson because Minnesota had another up and coming star in his position and didn't want to pay the last $42M of his deal. We can sign and trade Jefferson like we did Boozer and then find a player who fits the TPException, same with Millsap.

Gasol is 32. He's not going to be a star for much longer.

Are we really at the overanalyst point of comparing Millsap to Brandon Bass? At the time they got their contracts everyone was saying how cheap Bass was had for. Then Bass played like Bass played and Millsap played like Millsap plays.

Bass is a role player and Millsap is a tweener. Any team who gets Millsap for Bass money is lucky as ****.

Are we really at the overanalyst point of comparing Millsap to Brandon Bass? At the time they got their contracts everyone was saying how cheap Bass was had for. Then Bass played like Bass played and Millsap played like Millsap plays.

Bass is a role player and Millsap is a tweener. Any team who gets Millsap for Bass money is lucky as ****.

And anyone that pays 9+ million for even one year is overpaying.

Lot of good in this.

The problem with OKC trading that Toronto pick and Perk for Jeffy is salary and defending Howard. They have to give up Thabo to get it done & going 2 for 1 leaves them a man short of a championship. If Peking Duck goes down with a career threatening injury before the trade deadline then it will be a pick toward the best offer's way. Can't root for that but it is a possibility.

And anyone that pays 9+ million for even one year is overpaying.

Bass made six IIRC. Last year & offseason everyone was giving Sap a clean 10-12.5+. Hard to see 18 games knocking $4mm or more off his value. Shows how dumb we are as fans I guess.

He's been worth every bloody cent of this contract.

Amen brother. The Sap bashing on here is shameful of fans. No need to vent our frustrations on real humans for being what they are.

The Perk deal is Sap for Perk, not Jeffy

If OKC is doing that it takes the Toronto pick and they could land Varejao with that, who's a much better defender & fit.

Millsap & Foye for PJIII, Perk & the TOR pick works after Dec. 15. If I'm OKC I want Varejao without dropping PJIII into it. I don't see Foye as an absolute need for them.

If OKC is doing that it takes the Toronto pick and they could land Varejao with that, who's a much better defender & fit.

Millsap & Foye for PJIII, Perk & the TOR pick works after Dec. 15. If I'm OKC I want Varejao without dropping PJIII into it. I don't see Foye as an absolute need for them.

I would take that trade even if the Toronto pick is not included.

my opinion of current player value:

Mo: 5 mil, maybe 6

Foye: 4 or 5. More than he's getting, but he is proving to be a pretty darn good 3 point shooter. Value goes down because of his lack of size though.

Hayward: Right now, 4.5. Shows promise but lacks consistency. Typical for young players.

Burks: 3 mil. Needs to learn the game, but right now value is about 3.

Marvin: 7.5. Yeah, I'd be fine if he keeps his last year, he's a good all around player.

Millsap: also 7.5 I can't see much in his game that is any better than marvin.

Al: 9 mil. He's getting a lot more than that but even with his offensive power, he has too many weaknesses to be paid
like a star.

Kanter: Right Now? actually he really deserves about 5 mil, with his size and energy. That could go up as he learns the game.

Favors: Still pretty raw, but valuable to the team, he gets about 6 as he is right now. Again, that could go up as he gets better.

Demaree Carroll: Probably about 3.5 to 4, he is getting better and is a good energy guy.

Everyone else gets less than 3 mil, just filler players.

That puts us a roughly 65 million, which is pretty close to the tax threshold. Now I understand that half of these players won't take contracts that low, which is why there is no way that the team stays together after this offseason, but this is again what I think they are worth.

lol @ favors with 6 mil. He'd start at C or PF for over half the teams in this league.

I think the Jazz are prepared to lose Millsap as a free agent. They're still in the process of bringing along the young players and looking for other assets and probably aren't too worried about competing this year. A bunch of players are uncommitted after the end of the season--Al, Sap, Mo, and Foye. I honestly think they're playing Paul a) as a favor to keep his value up for his impending free agency, and b) to keep his value up for a potential trade. I think Millsap knows he's the odd man out, and that's why he's half-stepping it.