What's new

The only way to save the season...

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
Gilbert Gottfried is on Cameo. He’s always comfortable saying some really vulgar stuff. Need to do a Cameo message from JFC to the Jazz. Since we can’t make phone calls for DL, and we can’t call timeouts and stop iso for Quin, and we can’t change the officiating, and we can’t make the roster play hard and get loose balls, yet we can spend money on the whole enterprise that makes this thing go round, may as well throw some of that cash at Gilbert Gottfried to do some dirty work and tell everyone, from DL to the ball boys, to wake the **** up. Who’s with me? Should go viral. Do I need to open a gofundme?

https://www.cameo.com/gilbertgottfried?cc=1

That's funny, but its not the answer... there is no answer now. That time has passed. I think the best we could do this season is realize that Mike isn't some magic key that is going to click and open some magic basketball formula that makes us a super team. We are an "analytics" team that is ignoring the fact that the starting lineup is broke AF, but we have very good... no... actually great options to adjust.

I just can't hear "For this team to be great Mike has to be Mike..." "The best version of this team is with Mike starting..." well the data points to the fact that we are great without Mike in the starting group... and that if we are going to start him then Joe should come off the bench... but if Joe comes off the bench we lose some production from Rudy... so you have to play them all even though it leads to a much worse net result... because of the potential that maybe it could be great... and the cycle continues.

We likely beat up on a couple ****** teams again and people will think we solved something. 1st round exit is coming... we can pivot this offseason, but then watch Mike get hurt right before the playoffs and DL gets to go to press conferences like "well we didn't get to see it in the post season like we originally designed for" and we kick the can forward.

Other entertaining train wreck possibilities are:

Lenny Dykstra - $95
Jose Canseco - $150 (he stutters which is an added bonus!)
Corey Feldman - $202
Flavor Flav - $250
Dennis Rodman - $350

That's funny, but its not the answer... there is no answer now. That time has passed. I think the best we could do this season is realize that Mike isn't some magic key that is going to click and open some magic basketball formula that makes us a super team. We are an "analytics" team that is ignoring the fact that the starting lineup is broke AF, but we have very good... no... actually great options to adjust.

I just can't hear "For this team to be great Mike has to be Mike..." "The best version of this team is with Mike starting..." well the data points to the fact that we are great without Mike in the starting group... and that if we are going to start him then Joe should come off the bench... but if Joe comes off the bench we lose some production from Rudy... so you have to play them all even though it leads to a much worse net result... because of the potential that maybe it could be great... and the cycle continues.

We likely beat up on a couple ****** teams again and people will think we solved something. 1st round exit is coming... we can pivot this offseason, but then watch Mike get hurt right before the playoffs and DL gets to go to press conferences like "well we didn't get to see it in the post season like we originally designed for" and we kick the can forward.
This is my worst nightmare and also most likely scenario.

This is my worst nightmare and also most likely scenario.
DL and JZ's first priority is to stay employed. Take big swings and you risk that. So risk mitigation is key. Make as few substantial bets as you can and live to fight another day. You can ride a couple successful draft picks and signings a long way in that game.

I think they've made some great moves. I think they've had some missteps. I don't think they've been as bold as they could/should be. Massai is the best example of this... dude is not afraid to trade a franchise pillar for a one year run at a title. It could have blown up in his face, but now he's a god who can write his own ticket. DL wouldn't have done it... There are lots of examples of those bold moves turning out to be stupid and GMs getting fired.

TLDR... 90% GMs are more concerned about self preservation than winning a title. The longer you can kick the can down the road the longer you can stay employed.

Unfortunately this is probably a certainty. Even if Conley doesn't get hurt I think the Jazz will likely run it back for the sake of "continuity" or "chemistry" or whatever... I mean we have seen this very thing done with PG rentals for some time in Jazzland. I think we should know the routine by now. The latest one being the most expensive and costly.

Unfortunately this is probably a certainty. Even if Conley doesn't get hurt I think the Jazz will likely run it back for the sake of "continuity" or "chemistry" or whatever... I mean we have seen this very thing done with PG rentals for some time in Jazzland. I think we should know the routine by now. The latest one being the most expensive and costly.

Its ironic too because the system Quin runs doesn't require a true pg... DM/Joe would be just fine. Too bad Hill was an asshat, because his overpriced *** would still be a really good fit even on the 4/80M we wanted to give him... size, shooting, and low turnover.

Its ironic too because the system Quin runs doesn't require a true pg... DM/Joe would be just fine. Too bad Hill was an asshat, because his overpriced *** would still be a really good fit even on the 4/80M we wanted to give him... size, shooting, and low turnover.

Yup it takes a dump on the chest of some of the greatest assets the system allows- allowing for more length, tougher defense, spreading the ball around, exploiting mismatches ect.

DL and JZ's first priority is to stay employed. Take big swings and you risk that. So risk mitigation is key. Make as few substantial bets as you can and live to fight another day. You can ride a couple successful draft picks and signings a long way in that game.

I think they've made some great moves. I think they've had some missteps. I don't think they've been as bold as they could/should be. Massai is the best example of this... dude is not afraid to trade a franchise pillar for a one year run at a title. It could have blown up in his face, but now he's a god who can write his own ticket. DL wouldn't have done it... There are lots of examples of those bold moves turning out to be stupid and GMs getting fired.

TLDR... 90% GMs are more concerned about self preservation than winning a title. The longer you can kick the can down the road the longer you can stay employed.

If Conley doesn't get much better doesn't this have to be one of the worst trades in franchise history? I don't want to overstate it, but the jazz simply haven't made many splashes. Certainly if this had the potential to be bigger than the trade for Horney the opposite must be true too.

If Conley doesn't get much better doesn't this have to be one of the worst trades in franchise history? I don't want to overstate it, but the jazz simply haven't made many splashes. Certainly if this had the potential to be bigger than the trade for Horney the opposite must be true too.
In the modern era I think it would be... not coming up with too many that are obvious bad trades.

Way back in the day we traded Dominique Wilkins and the pick that became Magic Johnson... there were other circumstances and they were different times, but those would be the worst "in history".

The good news is all is not lost imo… we've found individual pieces like Bojan and JC that appear to work well. If we have the guts... and opportunity to get something solid for Mike and add some stuff in FA or the draft it might not be a lost year. If we also try and play Brantley/Morgan/Oni and they show promise then you have another good cheap rotation piece going into next year. Even just as an expiring vet Mike has some trade value, but you'd have to be willing to cut your losses... as Dante Exum experiment has shown us they'd likely rather down or triple down.

If Rudy demands supermax and we don't give it to him then we may be doing a full pivot, but I really don't see that happening. I think Rudy kind of knows the deal with bigs right now... he strikes me as a guy that has a good amount of self awareness. I think they get something done.