What's new

The Player's "STAND"

Kingju1ce

I am not a person that gets riled up very easily, but I find myself jumping on my soap box when it comes to the players making a "stand" against the owners in the collective bargaining agreement negotiations.

I work in the international shipping industry and I deal everyday with union workers at the ocean terminals. The Port of New Jersey has a terminal name Maher Terminals that is the oldest unionized ocean terminal in North America. The union workers at this terminal are financially taken care of and they have retirement benefits that are unheard of in most industries. To give you an idea, some senior dock workers make upwards of $200,000 a year. Those who are "junior" workers are also compensated handsomely. It is difficult to get in the union and most only get in by having family or other tight connections The dock worker unions are the most powerful unions in the world. They can cripple a country's import/export revenues if they decide to go on strike.

So I want to draw a parallel of these dock union workers to the players union in the NBA. The dock workers work at odd hours/weekends and work outside in all kinds of weather. They do the same monotonous work each day and they receive no public praise or honor for doing so. However, whether the economy is bad or not, they get paid the same and they get their annual increases, but recently they have pushed back their increases to assist the industry. Gee, thanks...at least you are not pushing for an increase while the rest of us in the industry bleed money (in the area of a billion dollars a piece).

Many of the NBA's players have started from humble beginnings, but when they are being drafted in the NBA it is an automatic shift into the upper class. A functioning/normal brain whose memory is intact would remember the hard times and the difficulties of the majority of americans who have been impacted by this extended economic downturn. Certainly they can take a substantial hit in their pockets to keep NBA teams from losing money. NBA players have thousands of fans urging them to succeed, red carpets are rolled out and their pockets get filled by simply traveling to play a game. A GAME. Because they are the best of the best, we come to watch them play and where ever the public shows interest, the companies/corporations come to leech away our hard earned money. I love the NBA and I love to watch the players and I love having a home team even in a small market. The player’s insisting to continue to grow their millions and their selfish justifications of making as much money as they can during their primes is threatening to force smaller market teams to move or go away altogether.

So the rich owners meet with the rich players and they talk. The owners of 22 of the 30 teams are losing money on their investments. Players offer a 3% deferment on some revenues…3%!! The two parties are far apart because while the rich owners understand and share the player’s desire to roll around in fresh hundred dollar bills, one half of this arrangement should not have great success while the other struggles to get by. The reason the owners are willing to have a lockout is most of them will actually save money by doing so! There needs to be a balance in this league.

My dock workers are not seen on commercials selling deodorant or fast food, a job that was able to handle Shaq’s living expenses alone while his NBA salary grew by hundreds of thousands each game. As an NBA fan I am fed up. The players can still be rich under the owner’s proposal and will make more money in one game than I have ever seen in real life. They have the best job in the world. If there is a lockout I propose that the owners hold a draft for players who didn’t quick make in the league. I would watch athletes of a lesser caliber and let our stars try to find their money in Europe. It’s not like they can survive with their lifestyles for long before screaming “UNCLE!”. Selfish babies. Makes me wish I could hold a meeting between the players and the fans on this issue.

For example, have a single mother of four step forward and ask if her sons will be able to afford to buy their nosebleed seats if the agreement doesn’t change in a drastic way. How can someone who makes thousands (and sometimes hundreds of thousands) of dollars a game look at someone who is hurting in this economy and say…”sorry I gotta get mine, don’t take away my raises!”?

Am I alone on this? Is there a fan out there that is taking the side of the players and thinks the owners should just shut up and keep cashing the checks as they dive into the red?

The players have the right to take their stand. This isn't a public union. If the owners choose to lock them out, fine. The players should know what they stand to gain/lose. No need to get butt hurt.

And how would the billionaire owners respond to these single mothers demanding reasonable prices for nosebleed tickets? That argument cuts both ways.

Is it your contention that labor unions should always concede? I don't get it.

You are right. I am pretty much always on the side of the owners in every league. If players dont like it, get a dif job.

Should the owner shut up and keep cashing the checks as they dive into the red? Should they sign Joe Johnson to a 100M+ contract? Rudy Gay to a max deal? AK to a max deal? The blame is both ways here. It's a broken system obviously.

I agree that some teams have been irresponsible with the contracts that they have handed out.

I am on the owners side on this and I am for a very very selfish reason. I am worried that if things don't change then salaries will continue to rise and then the Jazz will not be able to stay in the Millers hands. If the Millers cannot keep the team then there is a chance that they get moved. If that happens I will be devesated.

The players have the right to take their stand. This isn't a public union. If the owners choose to lock them out, fine. The players should know what they stand to gain/lose. No need to get butt hurt.

And how would the billionaire owners respond to these single mothers demanding reasonable prices for nosebleed tickets? That argument cuts both ways.

Is it your contention that labor unions should always concede? I don't get it.

Public union? What are you talking about? The billionaires need to make money on their investment or they determine that it isn't fruitful and the team gets moved/sold. Sure the owners bear some of the blame but who needs to make the concession? The players talk about how interest is at an all time high and products are still sold, etc. Owners/NBA have had to price their products to maintain the amount of products sold but guess what happens when the teams are losing money? Either the prices of the products (tickets/merchandise/etc.) have to go up or the players have to make less money. So its us or them if the teams are going to be sustainable.

And please don't misinterpret what I wrote. If the owners' numbers are at all accurate, the players are going to have to concede a lot more than they're reportedly willing to concede at this point...

But (a big "but") they don't owe anyone- the fans, the owners, their country, etc.- their services as professional basketball players. It's more than a little disingenuous to call the players "spoiled" and then assert that you're entitled to NBA basketball.

what makes me mad is when players come out and say they are just trying to make money to feed there family.come on if they can`t feed there family on the kind of money they are making now some thing is wrong. just my two cents.

Either the prices of the products (tickets/merchandise/etc.) have to go up or the players have to make less money. So its us or them if the teams are going to be sustainable.
This is overly simplistic. You can't just raise prices indefinitely to increase revenue. People will stop purchasing your goods if the price is too high, and revenue will fall. The parties will eventually come to some sort of agreement (although it's a real possibility we lose a season), as both the players and the owners stand to lose a lot (as is generally the case in the sports/entertainment industry).

Also to address if my contention is that labor unions should always concede, I will say that if everyone in the industry is hurting except the unions...then they should come out from behind their locked-in increases and throw everyone a bone at least. If they are the only ones making real money, why not?

This is overly simplistic. You can't just raise prices indefinitely to increase revenue. People will stop purchasing your goods if the price is too high, and revenue will fall. The parties will eventually come to some sort of agreement (although it's a real possibility we lose a season), as both the players and the owners stand to lose a lot (as is generally the case in the sports/entertainment industry).

Exactly, if you can't control your costs and not enough money is coming in as a franchise then you will fail...and it is that simple.

Also to address if my contention is that labor unions should always concede, I will say that if everyone in the industry is hurting except the unions...then they should come out from behind their locked-in increases and throw everyone a bone at least. If they are the only ones making real money, why not?
Except they are conceding. Just not to the degree the owners are demanding.

I WANT MY BASKETBALL!!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!! SILLY ******* RUIN IT FOR EVERYONE!

And please don't misinterpret what I wrote. If the owners' numbers are at all accurate, the players are going to have to concede a lot more than they're reportedly willing to concede at this point...

But (a big "but") they don't owe anyone- the fans, the owners, their country, etc.- their services as professional basketball players. It's more than a little disingenuous to call the players "spoiled" and then assert that you're entitled to NBA basketball.

I pay for it...how does it make me spoiled?

In my mind this is an issue that directly impacts the small market teams...which team do you root for?
You do realize that the players want the owners to include a better revenue sharing system as part of the current CBA negotiations, right? The big market owners aren't budging. They're demanding cost certainty (at a level where all/almost all teams make a profit), while not guaranteeing revenue sharing (so the rich teams make loads of money at the expense of the players).

I pay for it...how does it make me spoiled?
Just because you've paid for it in the past, doesn't make you entitled to it in the future. I'm calling a spade a spade: You just don't want to lose one of your primary sources of entertainment. Completely understandable.

I will also admit that part of me is acting with "misery likes company" philosophy. All I see is people suffering around me and even the billionaires are losing money in investments, stock markets, etc. Aside from the players having to pay rising fuel costs and grocery costs like we do, they are making a "stand" that they should keep the same system which is ballooning salaries. Which is the owners issue too, but they are fighting over talent and the player's salaries are just going up...they both need to figure this out. I am just not seeing the owners standing in a press conference and wearing shirts that say "STAND" on them. Give me a break.

You do realize that the players want the owners to include a better revenue sharing system as part of the current CBA negotiations, right? The big market owners aren't budging. They're demanding cost certainty (at a level where all/almost all teams make a profit), while not guaranteeing revenue sharing (so the rich teams make loads of money at the expense of the players).

Yeah I don't like the big teams either in this thing (they are the minority)...freakin' Lakers!

I am just not seeing the owners standing in a press conference and wearing shirts that say "STAND" on them. Give me a break.
No, instead you have the NBA commissioner talking about knowing "where the bodies are buried" in an address to the players. Give me a break.