What's new

The Royce O'Neale Thread

Career - Royce Pts - 5.2, TRB - 3.5, FG% - 45.7, 3% - 37.8, FT 78.8. Joe Pts - 8.0, TRB - 3.1, FG%- 44.7, 3% - 40.8, FT - 74.1.

They seem pretty even to me and that's not even considering defense where O'Neale really flourishes. Considering that they have totally different roles and Joe controls the ball a lot more, assists are naturally going to favor Ingles. Stats are one thing but O'Neale is more clutch - better in big game situations. And your argument concerning our superstar, Mitchell is not valid because everybody knows he's getting max - different set of rules. My argument stands, O'Neale's measly contract should have been extended before Ingle's bloated contract with an extra year left on it!
It isn't unilateral. It takes two sides to agree to an extension. I'm sure Utah made a decent offer to Royce. But he must have turned it down, choosing to bet on himself. IMO, he would have been an absolute fool to sign an extension. He can get more this summer in a weak free agent class.

People do realize we have the entire season to sign Royce to an extension, right? I know there were a lot of players that had a deadline of October 21 to get an extension done but with Royce there was no deadline, we can still extend him at any time.

Royce is able to do what he does because of Rudy. The entire Jazz defensive scheme is built around Rudy. Royce does a good job taking advantage of it, but he doesn’t impact the game like Rudy.

Just another example of people not valuing Rudy’s impact on a game.

Royce was great, Rudy was better.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app
Royce is a good defender no matter what.

Rudy is having the worst statistical year of good entire 7 year career by far.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

[QUOTE="Jack Strop, post: 1834999, member: 5147"]It isn't unilateral. It takes two sides to agree to an extension. I'm sure Utah made a decent offer to Royce. But he must have turned it down, choosing to bet on himself. IMO, he would have been an absolute fool to sign an extension. He can get more this summer in a weak free agent class.[/QUOTE]

Understood, but I'm almost certain he'd accept ten or more per. If players like Mario Hezonja are any indication, he'd be a fool not to. Which underscores my point comparing him with Ingles, because they must not be offering him anywhere close to Ingles money. Truth is, we grossly overpaid the first time for Ingles and now we've done it again IMO.

Understood, but I'm almost certain he'd accept ten or more per. If players like Mario Hezonja are any indication, he'd be a fool not to. Which underscores my point comparing him with Ingles, because they must not be offering him anywhere close to Ingles money. Truth is, we grossly overpaid the first time for Ingles and now we've done it again IMO.
Are you his agent or a family member? How can you be certain he'd accept ~$10M? He likely views himself as a decent 3&D player capable of starting. In a lousy free agent market, maybe he sees his potential at $60M/4 yr.

Are you his agent or a family member? How can you be certain he'd accept ~$10M? He likely views himself as a decent 3&D player capable of starting. In a lousy free agent market, maybe he sees his potential at $60M/4 yr.

Well one of us is certainly out of touch with free agent market values. Considering what our own Jeff Green, Mudiay and Ed Davis are making as well as Hezonja and Alec Burks to name a couple others, I think we'd be very foolish to assume that O'Neale sees his free market value anywhere near as high as you suggest.

Royce is looking good so far. Last year he was great on defense but on offense was highly likely to drive the ball into traffic and turn it over instead of taking the open shot. There's absolutely no comparison between Ingles' contributions up to last year vs. Royce's up to last year. Maybe this year Royce evens things up. He'll definitely get a Payday. But some people just want to blame race for everything.

Sent from my SM-G930V using JazzFanz mobile app

Royce is looking good so far. Last year he was great on defense but on offense was highly likely to drive the ball into traffic and turn it over instead of taking the open shot. There's absolutely no comparison between Ingles' contributions up to last year vs. Royce's up to last year. Maybe this year Royce evens things up. He'll definitely get a Payday. But some people just want to blame race for everything.

Sent from my SM-G930V using JazzFanz mobile app

I mean, that's still what he's doing. I think he's taken one non-wide open 3 (and that 3 was still "open" but someone actually bothered to attempt a close out) and he clanked it pretty hard. At one point in the Sac game he got two open potential attempts on the same possession and he swung the ball to covered players.

If the "blender" offense isnt in affect and he drives into traffic, he has put up ugly attempts or turned it over. He just hasnt shown the ability to drive and make a move to react to good defense. Right now he can beat one man or he can drive and kick to continue the "blender".

I mean, that's still what he's doing. I think he's taken one non-wide open 3 (and that 3 was still "open" but someone actually bothered to attempt a close out) and he clanked it pretty hard. At one point in the Sac game he got two open potential attempts on the same possession and he swung the ball to covered players.

If the "blender" offense isnt in affect and he drives into traffic, he has put up ugly attempts or turned it over. He just hasnt shown the ability to drive and make a move to react to good defense. Right now he can beat one man or he can drive and kick to continue the "blender".
And none of this is a deal at all if Bojan, Conley, and Mitchell are playing well, but he certainly isnt making a good case for starter-level payday playing that cautiously.

I have the fact one got paid by the team that amount and gave him his raise 1st. You have an opinion that numbers don't back up.

"I have the fact one got paid by the team that amount and gave him his raise 1st."
Wait....................................................................What?:confused:

Last edited:
And none of this is a deal at all if Bojan, Conley, and Mitchell are playing well, but he certainly isnt making a good case for starter-level payday playing that cautiously.
Or it is since that is exactly what a 5th option is supposed to do.

One of the best arguments for his starting is that he's only going to take open shots which matters since Gobert's job is to set screens and be the biggest lob target in the league, which sets up playmaking opportunities for three players that at least last year were premier scorers. His precise role is to take the shots no one else gets because the defense is over-committed to the other threats.

Walking the line he is walking is not very common. By the way, another perfect night from the field.

Last edited:
"I have the fact one got paid by the team that amount and gave him his raise 1st."
Wait....................................................................What?:confused:
Ingles got paid by the Jazz because they thought he was better. And gave him a raise this year. Royce got paid far less, and still hasn't received a raise.

Ingles got paid by the Jazz because they thought he was better. And gave him a raise this year. Royce got paid far less, and still hasn't received a raise.
Ingles got paid when he was a restricted free agent, he wasn’t extended.

Royce hasn’t been a restricted free agent yet.

I’m not sure I understand this post but I’m sure I don’t understand what @gregbroncs is ranting about.
The Jazz had their chance to give Royce some Ingles money back in 2017 but they decided only to give Ingles the Ingles money and give Royce the Royce money.