What's new

the secret value of Trey Burke

NAOS

Dennis Lindsey is hired by the Utah Jazz and steps into an organization with a power vacuum. This vacuum is the accumulation of (a) the sudden retirement of Jerry Sloan, (b) the death of LHM and the rise of Greggy, (c) the trade of Deron Williams, and (d) the partial retirement of Kevin O'Connor. In the face of this vacuum, the powers that be show every sign of hesitance and conservativeness: sticking with interim Ty Corbin, sticking with botched-Al-Jefferson experiment, re-acquiring washed-up former jazzmen (Mo Williams), etc. And in steps Dennis Lindsey, who is asked to spend his first year observing.

In other words, Dennis isn't invited to seize the reins. He's asked to work with a coach he didn't hire -- who, as we can now see very clearly, plays a different style than Dennis desires. Operationally, Dennis is asked to be an assistant GM to an old-school GM with different connections and philosophies. And, I'm sure he has to learn how to placate to Greggy, a man who has been given everything and is probably worried about fumbling his assets during a challenging transition.

So, Dennis plays the long-game. He lets Kevin get further into retirement on his own terms. And, he lets Corbin make his own bed to lie in. When Corbin can't pass muster, who's left to grab the reins? Dennis.

It's on record that Trey is Corbin's pick. TREY'S FAILURE FURTHER CEMENTS DENNIS PLACE IN THE GAME OF THRONES. That's his secret value. Trey isn't Dennis' mulligan; he's the last sacrifice to the old order. Dennis is now king!!!!!!

THE END!!!!!!!!

EDIT FOR THE HATERS!!:
I'm not saying that DL knew Trey was a bust and was, therefore, throwing away a top-10 pick in a power grab. A senationalist would read my OP in that way. But I do think he was placating with that pick, which he could afford to do because there weren't any other selections that were screamingly obvious at that spot. So, he lets other interests take the 'win' or the 'loss' on that issue and moves his attention elsewhere (Gobert, Neto). It's obvious why he'd do it this way: he can't lose. If Trey is good, then he has a good asset; if he's bad, then he further cements his influence. How many times did he give Ty credit for Trey?!?!?!

I think this kind of story should resonate with anybody who has been a new guy within an organization... Specifically, a new guy who is supposed to have influence, but who is supposed to step into that influence slowly and purposefully, without 'throwing the baby out with the bathwater' so to speak. My Game Of Thrones reference is playful, but not without value... Those dynamics happen!!!!

EDIT FOR ZULU

Last edited:
The secret value in Trey Burke is that his ineptitude will (hopefully) flame the competitive spirit in Exum.

I get the point of it, but they really shoud have stayed at #14 and #21 and trust their scouts. I don't think that DL did that. Would he have picked Antetokounmpo? Probably not. They were picking for need. I think that means that they end up with either Muhammad or Schroeder. Both would be upgrades over Burke. Draft for size or speed vs. intangibles or college success.

Imo, it was a rookie mistake. And a minor one at that. But you have to realize your mistake and move on. They have to bench Trey Burke. Right now, he hurts the team more than he helps.

I get the point of it, but they really shoud have stayed at #14 and #21 and trust their scouts. I don't think that DL did that. Would he have picked Antetokounmpo? Probably not. They were picking for need. I think that means that they end up with either Muhammad or Schroeder. Both would be upgrades over Burke. Draft for size or speed vs. intangibles or college success.

Imo, it was a rookie mistake. And a minor one at that. But you have to realize your mistake and move on. They have to bench Trey Burke. Right now, he hurts the team more than he helps.

does this mean you're advocating for starting Exum? Aren't you worried about that?

This makes one of Stifle's posts look realistic.

Thanks.
Outside of disagreeing about DL drafting Trey to put the final nail in the coffins of KOC and Corbin, it's all true.

Just go back and read the papers from the July 1-10th period. And before that, from when DL was signed. Lindsey came in as the heir apparent, but KOC was still fully in charge. Lindsey only received the GM title because a promotion is the only way they could rightfully steal him away from SA. There was a HUGE divide in the FO over what form the rebuild should take. KOC was always a proponent of "retooling" and he and the Millers were leaning towards keeping Millsap (and I assume that would have meant DMC and probably Foye). Big Al and Mo were never candidates to return.

Dennis "don't skip steps" Lindsey wanted a rebuild. Actually, let me backtrack. Read what he said prior to free agency: he said the Jazz would be value shoppers. I'm not sure DL was fully in the "tear this **** down" phase until the GS deal presented itself. And then Greg ultimately had to side with either DL or KOC. And we know which side won the battle. Then we hear KOC has retired, but not really. He still has his title but will now work out of his home in South Carolina, scouting and providing other assistance to Lindsey.

I will admit to franklin/boobs Ty was set up to fail. Although I think had he approached the season as Quin has done, he may have been able to save his job. But Ty is not that type of coach - and DL knew that. Lindsey is responsible for the Burke pick, not Ty. But honestly, it was going to be Trey or MCW. And MCW isn't exactly an upgrade. He's as poor a shooter with even less range.

Last edited:
Thanks.
Outside of disagreeing about DL drafting Trey to put the final nail in the coffins of KOC and Corbin, it's all true.

Just go back and read the papers from the July 1-10th period. And before that, from when DL was signed. Lindsey came in as the heir apparent, but KOC was still fully in charge. Lindsey only received the GM title because a promotion is the only way they could rightfully steal him away from SA. There was a HUGE divide in the FO over what form the rebuild should take. KOC was always a proponent of "retooling" and he and the Millers were leaning towards keeping Millsap (and I assume that would have meant DMC and probably Foye. Big Al and Mo were never candidates to return).

Dennis "don't skip steps" Lindsey wanted a rebuild. Actually, let me backtrack. Read what he said prior to free agency: he said the Jazz would be value shoppers. I'm not sure DL was fully in the "tear this **** down" phase until the GS deal presented itself. And then the FO divide, with Greg ultimately siding with DL. And after that, reports that KOC had retired, with the later rebuttal by the Jazz FO that he was remaining on as a "consultant." DL clearly won the fight and KOC lost power.

I will admit to franklin/boobs Ty was set up to fail. Although I think had he approached the season as Quin has done, he may have been able to save his job. But Ty is not that type of coach - and DL knew that. Lindsey is responsible for the Burke pick, not Ty. But honestly, it was going to be Trey or MCW. And MCW isn't exactly an upgrade. He's as poor a shooter with even less range.

It could have been Giannis the Greek or Schroderer. I am sure I misspelled both of their names.

does this mean you're advocating for starting Exum? Aren't you worried about that?

No. I think that they should look to pick up a veteran reserve on an expiring contract or sign Gal Mekel (veteran international player) or Seth Curry (performing well in the D league and a former Duke guy) to push Burke down and play in the system while not pushing Exum into the starting lineup too soon. I like how they're developing him. I think yu have to look outside the organization to solve this issue, and I don't spend quality assets to do it. Look for the diamond in the rough instead of trading for an expensive bandaid.

The idea that DL drafted a player that he knew wasn't up to par, and not just drafted, but traded up for, simply to get a coach fired is absolutely asinine. If DL actually did do that (and he didn't), then that alone shows that he isn't a GM.

Simply put, DL isn't going to ruin his draft record reputation by trading up for a player that he knew would fail. He gambled, he lost. End of story.

No. I think that they should look to pick up a veteran reserve on an expiring contract or sign Gal Mekel (veteran international player) or Seth Curry (performing well in the D league and a former Duke guy) to push Burke down and play in the system while not pushing Exum into the starting lineup too soon. I like how they're developing him. I think yu have to look outside the organization to solve this issue, and I don't spend quality assets to do it. Look for the diamond in the rough instead of trading for an expensive bandaid.

Seth Curry couldn't play PG in college, I highly doubt he can play it in the NBA. Slow, not a good defender, and worse at creating for others than Burke.

And, he lets Corbin make his own bed to lie in. When Corbin can't pass muster, who's left to grab the reins? Dennis.

It's on record that Trey is Corbin's pick. TREY'S FAILURE FURTHER CEMENTS DENNIS PLACE IN THE GAME OF THRONES. That's his secret value. Trey isn't Dennis' mulligan; he's the last sacrifice to the old order. Dennis in now king.

I'd say DL made Corbin's bed and set him up to fail. And where is it on record that Trey was Corbin's pick? It's just silly to assume that DL would allow Ty to run his draft. DL put the roster together, DL traded up for Trey when he should have stood pat, and DL failed to secure future assets for Jefferson and Millsap when it was obviously time to move on.

I'd say DL made Corbin's bed and set him up to fail. And where is it on record that Trey was Corbin's pick? It's just silly to assume that DL would allow Ty to run his draft. DL put the roster together, DL traded up for Trey when he should have stood pat, and DL failed to secure future assets for Jefferson and Millsap when it was obviously time to move on.
I'll give you that DL should have stood pat in the draft, and not reached to fill a need wit Burke, but I don't think that losing Millsap and Jeffersonis on him at all. 2012 he was it given full control of the team. The powers that be wanted to try reloading and remaining relevant, and that effort failed. They barely missed the playoffs, but it wouldn't have mattered. Had they gotten in AND advanced to the 2nd round, I'd be shocked if DL would have gotten the okay to tear down and rebuild.

Burke is our place holder thats his value. I think there is some truth in NAOS OP though. I think Burke would be a decent backup, but he is in a role much larger than it should be and he's now the rookie QB who's afraid to get hit and has developed bad habits. We need to keep him until we have a decent vet to shelter Exum. He isn't ready yet... I think mid year next year he'll be ready to start.

My only qualm with DL is the Novak trade. If I was a gm and Massai called me I'd just let it go to VM. That guy is using some Jedi mind tricks or voodoo or something.

My only qualm with DL is the Novak trade. If I was a gm and Massai called me I'd just let it go to VM. That guy is using some Jedi mind tricks or voodoo or something.

I didn't like the trade up for Burke, but I can understand why they would make that move. The Novak trade made no sense at all. I understand assuming salary to buy assets, but his contract seemed too much for two years for just a 2nd round pick. I'd have much, much, much rather had them take on Jeremy Lin's contract for a 1st and 2nd. Plus, it would have given the Jazz a fallback in case Burke/Exum wasn't ready to start this year. Not a great option, but I'd have much rather gone this route instead. Trading for Novak, not re-signing DMC and not using their early 2nd round pick this past year are the only three moves that I didn't care for. Other than that, I'm perfectly happy with DL's performance.