What's new

the secret value of Trey Burke

I get the point of it, but they really shoud have stayed at #14 and #21 and trust their scouts. I don't think that DL did that. Would he have picked Antetokounmpo? Probably not. They were picking for need. I think that means that they end up with either Muhammad or Schroeder. Both would be upgrades over Burke. Draft for size or speed vs. intangibles or college success.

Imo, it was a rookie mistake. And a minor one at that. But you have to realize your mistake and move on. They have to bench Trey Burke. Right now, he hurts the team more than he helps.
I could be mistaken, but I thought there was a rumor the Jazz were interested in a big, but heard he'd be gone before they picked. If that's the case, they would have been targeting Adams or Olynyk. Had they gotten either of those two, they probably would not have drafted Rudy. I originally wanted Adams and Schroder, but saw both were rated higher in the mocks than where the Jazz would be picking. So I switched allegiance to Gobert with the 2nd pick and let several others convince me Giannis should be the selection at #14.

It's all good, though. By shooting and defending so poorly, Trey has been a major part of the tank last year and this one. Jazz got Exum last summer and every game Trey can shoot us out of this year may boost us a spot higher in the draft.

My only qualm with DL is the Novak trade. If I was a gm and Massai called me I'd just let it go to VM. That guy is using some Jedi mind tricks or voodoo or something.

Why? We got a second rounder out of it(and if the Knicks keep struggling it will be a good one)? We are not losing anything for lending 3M of our capspace in a year we are not fighting for anything...

Someone's been watching too much Game of Thrones lately..... (step away from the ledge NAOS).

The idea that DL drafted a player that he knew wasn't up to par, and not just drafted, but traded up for, simply to get a coach fired is absolutely asinine. If DL actually did do that (and he didn't), then that alone shows that he isn't a GM.

Simply put, DL isn't going to ruin his draft record reputation by trading up for a player that he knew would fail. He gambled, he lost. End of story.

That's not what I said. I'm shocked that you took massive liberties in interpreting what was written.

I do think Dennis placated to the old order on that pick. I think he chose to do so because there weren't any obviously better picks in that class at that spot. And, he knew they had the permission/funds/deal to buy another pick later.

I could be mistaken, but I thought there was a rumor the Jazz were interested in a big, but heard he'd be gone before they picked. If that's the case, they would have been targeting Adams or Olynyk. Had they gotten either of those two, they probably would not have drafted Rudy. I originally wanted Adams and Schroder, but saw both were rated higher in the mocks than where the Jazz would be picking. So I switched allegiance to Gobert with the 2nd pick and let several others convince me Giannis should be the selection at #14.

It's all good, though. By shooting and defending so poorly, Trey has been a major part of the tank last year and this one. Jazz got Exum last summer and every game Trey can shoot us out of this year may boost us a spot higher in the draft.

Giannis and Rudy in one draft would have been killer. Even still, I am pretty happy about us getting Rudy. 28 other teams didn't get either. Pretty good draft overall if you ask me! :cool:

I'd say DL made Corbin's bed and set him up to fail. And where is it on record that Trey was Corbin's pick? It's just silly to assume that DL would allow Ty to run his draft. DL put the roster together, DL traded up for Trey when he should have stood pat, and DL failed to secure future assets for Jefferson and Millsap when it was obviously time to move on.
Please tell me who was available for Big Al? Please make sure a) the deal makes sense for both teams; b) the trade fits within the parameters of the rules; and, c) ensure that the contract Utah receives is either expiring or brings Utah a significant player in return. You may want to reference the value Philadelphia received for trading their starters last year. Also reference the assets Boston got for Rondo. UFA's don't command a ton. Also consider the type of player AL is - a team has to completely alter their sets to utilize Jefferson. That's not something most contenders would likely want to, or could do at the deadline. For example, as desperate as the Cavs are right now for a big, would they go after Jefferson if he were available? Yeah, I could really see him fit in with other players who want the ball.

I'll concede your point on Millsap. He had a smaller deal, is a more useful player, and there was a better market out there (more "garbage" players contenders could shed to match salaries). But also remember it was not a given Utah's rebuild would exclude keeping Millsap. KOC and the Millers reportedly were very torn over letting him go.

But to say we got "nothing in return" is simply false. There's an opportunity cost to everything we do. Had the Jazz gotten back players on non-expiring deals, they would not have had that cap room in free agency. By not having salaries on their books, they were able to shop for free agents. Instead of signing FA's (the retool strategy of KOC), they used that cap space for the GS trade (the complete rebuild model of DL). The first return on that trade is Hood. There are other picks coming. Also, don't forget rookies are cheaper than players we'd likely have gotten and Utah essentially controls their rights for 7-8 years (rookie + 1st RFA contract).

So I agree with Naos on few points of speculation.

It is true Lindsey pointed at Ty Corbin for the reason they got Trey, but I don't remember if the credit (or blame) came immediately after the draft or later when the first issues arose, or later when they saw him struggle in summer league. It sees possible to me that Lindsey seeing their collective mistake tried to cya by publicly crediting Ty.

It also seems possible to me that DOL knew that Trey was short, slow, bad shooter, strange family/ agent situation, and baby daddy but got him anyway because Dennis believed that Jazz needed a pg and Treys limitations meant the Jazz would have better chances of keeping him long term. Dennis might have believed a pg needs only be serviceable not a superstar.

It also seems possible to me that realizing Treys limitations, the Jazz thought they might let him play one season as the starter with a bunch of up and coming players with hopes that Trey would shine, and could be used as trade bait to move up in the next draft where they coveted Parker. Sort of like what Spurs did with Pacers, George Hill and Leonard.

It also seems possible the Jazz Draft War room was split. Perhaps Lindsey wanted someone else, but Ty wanted Trey. The owner sided with Ty. And the draft happened. Then Lindsey went to work getting the guys he wanted...Gobert and Neto. If this was the case, Lindsey won himself a huge chunk of power, it might be years before Greg dares override him again.

The whole thing is strange, and we may not know the truth of it until after Trey is gone and Locke gets a little loose lipped on the radio one afternoon.

Please tell me who was available for Big Al? Please make sure a) the deal makes sense for both teams; b) the trade fits within the parameters of the rules; and, c) ensure that the contract Utah receives is either expiring or brings Utah a significant player in return. You may want to reference the value Philadelphia received for trading their starters last year. Also reference the assets Boston got for Rondo. UFA's don't command a ton. Also consider the type of player AL is - a team has to completely alter their sets to utilize Jefferson. That's not something most contenders would likely want to, or could do at the deadline. For example, as desperate as the Cavs are right now for a big, would they go after Jefferson if he were available? Yeah, I could really see him fit in with other players who want the ball.

I'll concede your point on Millsap. He had a smaller deal, is a more useful player, and there was a better market out there (more "garbage" players contenders could shed to match salaries). But also remember it was not a given Utah's rebuild would exclude keeping Millsap. KOC and the Millers reportedly were very torn over letting him go.

But to say we got "nothing in return" is simply false. There's an opportunity cost to everything we do. Had the Jazz gotten back players on non-expiring deals, they would not have had that cap room in free agency. By not having salaries on their books, they were able to shop for free agents. Instead of signing FA's (the retool strategy of KOC), they used that cap space for the GS trade (the complete rebuild model of DL). The first return on that trade is Hood. There are other picks coming. Also, don't forget rookies are cheaper than players we'd likely have gotten and Utah essentially controls their rights for 7-8 years (rookie + 1st RFA contract).

Where did I say we got "nothing in return"? If you're going to quote me at least try to be accurate. I think I said we didn't get assets, meaning draft picks, exceptions, or other considerations. Not going to waste my time speculating on possible deals and no doubt moving Jefferson would have been tough. But I think Boston did ok. They got Jameer Nelson (player option for 2015), Jae Crowder (expiring), Brandan Wright (expiring), a 2015 first, and a 2016 second. So they got a first, a second, and two expiring contracts for Rondo. Since the point of moving Jefferson would have been to accelerate the growth of Kanter and Favors, I would have been happy with a first or couple of seconds. I have no idea if that deal was out there or how hard the Jazz tried, but I don't think you can be sure there wasn't a possible deal to be made.