What's new

The Serial Podcast

This American Life and Serial might seem easy to replicate but the people behind those shows are masters of narrative storytelling. There are many podcasts SERIAL-ish. And many public radio shows clearly trying to be TAL. They aren't. They simply aren't on that level.

Wasn't aware of any other serial-ish podcasts, may be I should try them out to get my fix.

I'm with you, though. It's a long wait. I hope season two lives up to the expectations set by season one.

I donated money to the show. I also generally donate money to NPR.

I'm with you, though. It's a long wait. I hope season two lives up to the expectations set by season one.

I donated money to the show. I also generally donate money to NPR.

I know it is a lot of effort but TAL could have 2 more producers (and their own team) producing their own cases. Each team is assigned 1 case each per year. That would give you 3 cases per year running one after the other. I think that should be feasible considering how popular they are now with the following they've amassed.

I think that's doable & they should explore it.

SERIAL season two has arrived!

This season they explore the Bowe Bergdahl case. I listened to the first episode and I wonder where this thing could possibly go? I mean, from everything presented there seeme like there can only be one conclusion. I'll avoid spoilers for now, but I can't see this providing the same questions the first season did. That said, it seems like an interesting story. I'm just not sure it's 10 episodes worth of interesting story.

SERIAL season two has arrived!

This season they explore the Bowe Bergdahl case. I listened to the first episode and I wonder where this thing could possibly go? I mean, from everything presented there seeme like there can only be one conclusion. I'll avoid spoilers for now, but I can't see this providing the same questions the first season did. That said, it seems like an interesting story. I'm just not sure it's 10 episodes worth of interesting story.

Just finished S01E01

Haven't heard about this Bowe guy so it's pretty much all new to me. Found it quite interesting, not as exciting or gripping as Season 1, but interesting nonetheless. But I thought all this military stuff would be right up your alley Gameface, since you were in the Navy???

Anyway, to your point about there can only be 1 conclusion, I'm not so sure, may be if they make a surprising discovery or evidence or witness account that contradicts what this Bowe guy is saying then that might make it a bit more 'exciting'?

Kinda surprising to me that they picked this story instead of another gripping 'whodunit' mystery type. I have a feeling this Mark Boal guy is sponsoring this season hence they had to go with this story?

Just finished S01E01

Haven't heard about this Bowe guy so it's pretty much all new to me. Found it quite interesting, not as exciting or gripping as Season 1, but interesting nonetheless. But I thought all this military stuff would be right up your alley Gameface, since you were in the Navy???

Anyway, to your point about there can only be 1 conclusion, I'm not so sure, may be if they make a surprising discovery or evidence or witness account that contradicts what this Bowe guy is saying then that might make it a bit more 'exciting'?

Kinda surprising to me that they picked this story instead of another gripping 'whodunit' mystery type. I have a feeling this Mark Boal guy is sponsoring this season hence they had to go with this story?

Gonna talk about episode one content... Nothing too spoiler-ish, but figure I'll leave it up to the reader if they want to see it.

I don't think what BB (Bowe Bergdahl) is saying is false. I just think the guy is nuts. I went into the Navy with stupid romanticized notions of what the military was going to be like. I got over it. We all pretty much got over it. It's a job. None of us were going to be Jason Bourne. BB says he had problems with his leadership starting with basic training. Everywhere he went. I get that. He thought the Army was going to be something different than it was. Apparently he never gave up on that notion and figured the "real" Army was just over the next hill (so to speak) and that it was just the leaders he encountered that were ****ing it all up and ruining his chance to be a hero. I really don't see another option than him being delusional. Maybe he had bad leadership. Maybe things were going on that were not standard and did put his unit at additional risk. That doesn't change my assessment of him based on what he said in that first episode. He had a fantasy of what it was going to be like serving as an enlisted man in the Army and he allowed that fantasy to control his actions, even when his actions were beyond stupid and beyond dangerous, not only to himself but the rest of his platoon. He deserted his post and put his fellow soldiers at additional risk, at least as much additional risk as poor leadership.

Gonna talk about episode one content... Nothing too spoiler-ish, but figure I'll leave it up to the reader if they want to see it.

I don't think what BB (Bowe Bergdahl) is saying is false. I just think the guy is nuts. I went into the Navy with stupid romanticized notions of what the military was going to be like. I got over it. We all pretty much got over it. It's a job. None of us were going to be Jason Bourne. BB says he had problems with his leadership starting with basic training. Everywhere he went. I get that. He thought the Army was going to be something different than it was. Apparently he never gave up on that notion and figured the "real" Army was just over the next hill (so to speak) and that it was just the leaders he encountered that were ****ing it all up and ruining his chance to be a hero. I really don't see another option than him being delusional. Maybe he had bad leadership. Maybe things were going on that were not standard and did put his unit at additional risk. That doesn't change my assessment of him based on what he said in that first episode. He had a fantasy of what it was going to be like serving as an enlisted man in the Army and he allowed that fantasy to control his actions, even when his actions were beyond stupid and beyond dangerous, not only to himself but the rest of his platoon. He deserted his post and put his fellow soldiers at additional risk, at least as much additional risk as poor leadership.

OK.. I see what you're saying, but where there's smoke there's fire? That stuff about his dad who started growing a beard and speaking Pashto and Urdu? I wonder if there's more to the story... (hopefully there is).

https://serialpodcast.org/season-one/adnan-syeds-hearing

[h=1]Season 1 Update from Baltimore[/h]
Hello Serial listeners! Sarah Koenig here. This week I’m going to do something I haven’t done before, which is duck back into Adnan Syed’s case for a few days, to report on a court proceeding that’s happening in Baltimore. If you have no idea what I’m talking about: quick: go listen to season one of Serial, and then come back to me in...roughly 10 hours.

What’s happening this week is not a new trial. It’s a hearing. It’s actually a continuation of Adnan’s petition for post-conviction relief - something you try only after you’ve exhausted your regular appeals. Kind of a last-ditch effort. He first filed that petition...wow...in 2010, I think. Long before I got interested in this case. In fact I think the very first time I talked to Adnan, was right when the court had ruled against him, had denied his petition.

For the next few days, producer Dana Chivvis and I will discuss what happens at the hearing, day by day. You'll find our updates on the Serial site, iTunes, podcast apps, and Pandora.

And look for our new Episode 6 of Season 2 this morning, about why Bowe Bergdahl walked off his post.

More later today and Friday,

Sarah K. and the Serial Team

This is cool.

That's really cool. Season 2 is boring me to death.

It has been a bit up and down for me. But this weeks episode, I hope, is the one i have been waiting for.

And also I could quite happily listen to Sarah commentate on a wall of paint drying and I'd be satisfied. Her voice is just so soothing.

It has been a bit up and down for me. But this weeks episode, I hope, is the one i have been waiting for.

And also I could quite happily listen to Sarah commentate on a wall of paint drying and I'd be satisfied. Her voice is just so soothing.
Too soothing for me though... she has put me to sleep a couple of times this season.

+++Zombie bump!+++

+++Zombie bump!+++

Adnan has been released from prison.