What's new

The Stretch 4 Discussion Thread

Detroit will have to fit Tolliver in at less than 4M to duck the tax... and still might not be able to do it... they need to move off some money.

He gets it off pretty quickly too. He is a defensive liability, but so are Anderson et al. Jonas tries really hard on defense and hustles, but he is not great there.
His career DBPM is -.8, so it's not like he's a huge liability, at least not much more than what Jerebko is (who is a career -.3)

We ended up getting Jae, but it was annoying seeing Houston pick up PJ when I've been clamouring for him for the last few years while he was in Phoenix. It was very obvious that he'd play a big role on a contending team.
He was *** in Toronto. He looked good playing with two of the best PG's of all time.

He was *** in Toronto. He looked good playing with two of the best PG's of all time.

Most of his shots were wide *** open.

I think Houston regrets the back end of that deal. That seems like a guy who might gain 20lbs in an offseason and become unplayable.

Thabo is going to be the starter next year, besides the first 5 games, which will be Jae Crowder. There isnt anyone good enough on the free agent market to be the starting 4 given the Jazz's available money (all they have is the MLE at 8.6 million).

I would love to get Anthony Tolliver. The guy is one of the true shooting big men, not just a big guy who learned to be a shooter. He is a true marksman.

He would definitely be one of my top targets in free agency.

There is a connection...

His career DBPM is -.8, so it's not like he's a huge liability, at least not much more than what Jerebko is (who is a career -.3)

I just remember watching him and seeing him struggle... mostly in Sacramento, but they don't play defense anyway.

As a starter this year Tolliver shot over 50% from three. He is a volume guy... that would be a low key sneaky move. I like adding guys that can get nuclear hot to our mix. Our defense will win games in which role players have nuclear games.

You opened the door so... For AG we would have to cut ties with Thabo, Jerebko, and Udoh... but I don't see them as game changers. As for Favors, Exum, and Neto: as long as they are not signed in the first few days of free agency the Jazz could still pick them up if Orlando matched. Of them, only Exum would hurt. Maybe there is a way to move Alec instead and keep Exum's rights.

Favors, Exum and Neto have cap holds. We would have to renounce those to have the money under the cap to sign Gordon.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/utah-jazz-team-salary/

One of the interesting parts of this offseason would be if the Knicks consider offloading the #9 pick and Noah for salary cap relief. Assuming they want to be players in FA, they don't seem to be in the mood for a long rebuild.

There are some good stretch 4's in this draft, but we'd have to climb into the top ten to have a fighting shot at one.

When factoring age into this equation, it makes a ton of sense to valiantly go after Tobias Harris. He's 25, just had his best season shooting from 3, proven fit at the PF, not someone who seems like they want to be "the man". We really need to go after him.

From there, it's a drop-off-- it's mainly us going after good defensive 6'9" SFs.

1) Chandler 2) Harkless 3) Carroll 4) Barnes (YUCK at that contract though)

From there, I don't see how any of them will be better than Derrick Favors if he manages to develop the 3 this offseason.

--

But yeah. At this juncture it makes a ton of sense to go for Tobias. I think we buzzsaw the Rockets if we had a healthy him and Rubio.

Rubio
Mitchell
Ingles
Harris
Gobert

^ That's a contender.

Exum
O'Neale
Sefalosha
Crowder
Udoh

Neto
Burks
Jerebko

--

If Favors leaves, we just need to figure out backup-5 if Udoh doesn't cut it.

If Tolliver is our target, almost everybody would be disappointed. I would take him to a Jerekbo type deal, but the guy isn't going to move the needle over Golden State.

And for the record, I think Houston is done after this year. If and when I think Golden State beats them, they simply won't have the ability to keep Capella, Paul, Mbah a Moute AND Ariza. Even if they do, I think we would beat them if we were healthy.

If Tolliver is our target, almost everybody would be disappointed. I would take him to a Jerekbo type deal, but the guy isn't going to move the needle over Golden State.

And for the record, I think Houston is done after this year. If and when I think Golden State beats them, they simply won't have the ability to keep Capella, Paul, Mbah a Moute AND Ariza. Even if they do, I think we would beat them if we were healthy.

Tolliver would be a smart target though. If you can get a guy cheap that does 90% of what you need why risk spending more or giving a longer term deal to someone that could be a bit more.

Tolliver went crazy the last five games... surprised he didn't get more interest last offseason. Get undervalued guys in FA... stay away from the middle stuff... then when you have lots of space go for the big ticket stuff.

Tobias Harris has one year left on his deal. No reason to have a George Hill 2.0 situation.

He could be extended though. I think there is a window or some limitation on an extend and trade though. I'd give up a 2019 pick for him but nothing else.

One of the interesting parts of this offseason would be if the Knicks consider offloading the #9 pick and Noah for salary cap relief. Assuming they want to be players in FA, they don't seem to be in the mood for a long rebuild.

There are some good stretch 4's in this draft, but we'd have to climb into the top ten to have a fighting shot at one.

Nice! That is my lowkey move of the offseason too. It would be wise to target either Noah and #9 (http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y88p2s5n) or Marvin and #11 (http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7r7s9c9).

Ingles, Mitchell, Gobert, O'Neale, Crowder and Bradley are all signed through the next two seasons at least (the length of Marvin and Noah deals). We would have to worry about Rubio, but we would have his rights and maybe go over the luxury for one year.

If we could use Burks, #9 or #11 and #21 to get Tobias Harris, we are set. Or we draft somebody we like which is fine too. A bad two year contract like Noah, Marvin, Deng, etc. doesn't really cripple us. And we would have a guy who would form tackle Capella in the paint if we had Noah....

He could be extended though. I think there is a window or some limitation on an extend and trade though. I'd give up a 2019 pick for him but nothing else.
You mean when he is having a career year and only wants the max then declines all the great extensions we throw his way only to lose him to the Sacramento Kings?

Yeah, no thanks.

Tolliver would be a smart target though. If you can get a guy cheap that does 90% of what you need why risk spending more or giving a longer term deal to someone that could be a bit more.

Tolliver went crazy the last five games... surprised he didn't get more interest last offseason. Get undervalued guys in FA... stay away from the middle stuff... then when you have lots of space go for the big ticket stuff.

I'm not against Tolliver. He would be a good addition and an asset for this team. I would just be a little more ambitious when prioritizing assets. In a perfect world, we add Tolliver this year and sign Harris as an unrestricted free agent in 2019. However, that's freaking risky. I would rather lock in the Harris cog now if we can.

You mean when he is having a career year and only wants the max then declines all the great extensions we throw his way only to lose him to the Sacramento Kings?

Yeah, no thanks.

Sure. Sac does have cap space next year, but most FA just use them as leverage to get more from the destination they really want to go to. I know you are talking about Hill.

With Harris he could be extended by the clips and then traded 6 months later... so maybe by the trade deadline. If not just wait until FA... I don't want to do the midseason dance. Plus we could get in on Middleton or another FA.

Table Harris for now... revisit later.

What happens if the Lakers pitch to Lebron/Paul George works and LA is suddenly faced with having to cut some major salary, fast?

In that scenario I think a team willing to take on Deng’s deal can steal a nice, young piece from LA.

Yes, the Lakers love Kuzma, but Magic Johnson isn’t walking away from Lebron/PG just for the sake of holding onto him. This is obviously just one “what if” scenario but as usual, there will be a couple of teams going “All In” on some new version of a super team and that will free up some pieces a team like the Jazz can swoop in and pick up for cheaper than we expect.