What's new

The Ultimate Best Elite World-Class Jazz Off-Season Guide

I have no idea if someone has stayed or not on a situation like this. But the team would have a lot more control of that player due to salary cap situations. But in this situation you are adding a finals MVP player. That is much better than Hill or Cousins and better than PG. I think he would give us a legitimate chance at winning it all. Taking that chance is worth it to me. I would hope he would sign an extension or re-sign with us but I would even do it for 1 year and 1 shot.

Although I think we can keep kawhi on his opt in for year 2 if we are as good as I think we could be. By next year Donovan will be the only all star we currently have on this team. Rudy will always be borderline cause his lack of offense. Mitchell is gonna average 27-29 puts a night, after the experience he has had this year he might even be 30pts a game. That’s only one more three and a couple free throws a night better.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Although I think we can keep kawhi on his opt in for year 2 if we are as good as I think we could be. By next year Donovan will be the only all star we currently have on this team. Rudy will always be borderline cause his lack of offense. Mitchell is gonna average 27-29 puts a night, after the experience he has had this year he might even be 30pts a game. That’s only one more three and a couple free throws a night better.

Gobert is already a star. He impacts the game at a top 20 player level. He impacts on defense more than anyone in the NBA and on offense he is still very impactful with his screens and rolling ability. He does not create for himself and isnt a jump shooter (nor should he focus on that) but that doesnt mean he does not help on offense.

Kawhi isn't going to opt in. He will renegotiate for a substantial raise (his opt in is just over 20 mil), regardless of where he is playing. Even if he did want to stay in Utah, he would still opt out and renegotiate a 1+1, or something. But again, all signs point to him moving to a big market.

The only possible exception to this is if his injury issue ends up getting weirder and he misses next year, too, in which case the trade is even more regrettable.

Kawhi is either signing a super max extension and either:
-staying, or
-using that as leverage to get traded to a destination of his choosing

OR

He's not signing a super max extension, at which point, he's taking the quicker money earlier by re-upping ASAP (unless he's actually ****ed up), OR YOU CAN JUST GO AFTER HIM IN FREE AGENCY.

In basically no case (except that things are very, very bad) does he just plum and dumb opt-in.

Kawhi is either signing a super max extension and either:
-staying, or
-using that as leverage to get traded to a destination of his choosing

OR

He's not signing a super max extension, at which point, he's taking the quicker money earlier by re-upping ASAP (unless he's actually ****ed up), OR YOU CAN JUST GO AFTER HIM IN FREE AGENCY.

In basically no case (except that things are very, very bad) does he just plum and dumb opt-in.

He never hits FA whether he’s traded or not. This injury is potentially more serious and he wants his money before risking anything.

I think this is a great fit... pray the T wolves don't make a QO and then we can sign him as an unrestricted FA. When healthy I think he is as good as Niko. Not a LT solution because of age, but next couple years as a stretch 4.

Minnesota has a ton of cap space committed and they'll have to deal with KAT soon - Belly's played his last game for them . Almost no doubt.

Minnesota has a ton of cap space committed and they'll have to deal with KAT soon - Belly's played his last game for them . Almost no doubt.
Kind of makes you wonder if Mitchell was given marching orders by someone in the organization. I've never gotten the impression the players know a lot about the particulars of the salary cap, logistics thereof, and how other players fit with in that.

I think this is a great fit... pray the T wolves don't make a QO and then we can sign him as an unrestricted FA. When healthy I think he is as good as Niko. Not a LT solution because of age, but next couple years as a stretch 4.
Im sure they will offer him the QO. They arent going to have cap-room to do anything either way so his cap-hold wont be an issue.

Kind of makes you wonder if Mitchell was given marching orders by someone in the organization. I've never gotten the impression the players know a lot about the particulars of the salary cap, logistics thereof, and how other players fit with in that.
No, Mitchell is doing an European promo tour for Adidas. They were in Serbia. Bjelica is a Serbian Adidas athlete (I would assume the best/most popular one), hence the picture.

Im sure they will offer him the QO. They arent going to have cap-room to do anything either way so his cap-hold wont be an issue.

Probably true... at $4-5M if he accepts that they would gladly retain him.