What's new

Third center

Couple of players (I think Booker was one of them) talked about how sometimes it's just a matter of a player going to the right team and situation that separates that guy as a NBA player from another who doesn't get a chance in the league. I think Withey is in a PERFECT situation to excel. He can be Gobert-lite. Utah is one of the few teams bucking the trend of going small. And they're building their defense around a tall, shot-blocking center. Great opportunity for him to showcase his skills.

Burke, Neto and Cotton are good depth. All are (or should be, in Neto's case) very good backup PG's. So the depth is there, we just don't have that #1 guy.

I'm curious to what a good backup player is to you? I'm thinking a solid back up player to you is a guy on the team that shows up and puts a jersey on before the game. You say the Jazz have a good back up with depth even though we're rated to be 29th in the league for the 2nd year in a row. I think (and I think most fans can follow me) that a good back up player is one that contributes numbers similar to that of a player at the starting position or role above him. Even if it's for a short time period. Look at the Clippers for example. Pierce, J Smith, both great role players. Compare that or anything to two guys like Neto and Cotton,the jazz don't have good back up role players. I'm not being unfair with saying that, you just need to watch basketball outside of the Jazz.

I'm curious to what a good backup player is to you? I'm thinking a solid back up player to you is a guy on the team that shows up and puts a jersey on before the game. You say the Jazz have a good back up with depth even though we're rated to be 29th in the league for the 2nd year in a row. I think (and I think most fans can follow me) that a good back up player is one that contributes numbers similar to that of a player at the starting position or role above him. Even if it's for a short time period. Look at the Clippers for example. Pierce, J Smith, both great role players. Compare that or anything to two guys like Neto and Cotton,the jazz don't have good back up role players. I'm not being unfair with saying that, you just need to watch basketball outside of the Jazz.

Pierce is no role player -- he's just an OLD player. And the comparison is unfair. These are vets, and Cotton and Neto are more or less rookies at the start of their careers. A more fair comparison would be Ingles, and sure J.R. Smith is better, but is he better overall to team chemistry and other things that don't show up on the stat sheet -- maybe not.

I think if DL and QS were as pessimistic about the point guards they would already have done something about it. I feel like this year may be similar to last year where Burke starts but Neto (like Exum) takes over at some point.

Those are 6th men. And I'm not saying we have those guys. Booker is a good backup, but his numbers are not anywhere near Favors'. Ingles is a decent backup, but he can't come close to Hayward.

Burke was a good backup last season. Even though he struggled shooting-wise, his numbers were FAR better than Exum. Cotton ran the team well during the last few weeks. He played with pace. Shot 42%/35%. I'd say those are pretty solid numbers, even though he played just 15 games. Neto was a good PG in the best non-NBA league.

I stand by my statement that we have depth. IMO, we'll have 3 PG's who could be 2nd-string on a lot of teams. That's depth. Cut any of them and I guarantee another team would quickly sign them. I think multiple teams would vie for Burke and Neto. As BACKUPS; I never claimed otherwise. Do we have a starting-caliber PG? I don't think so. And therein lies the problem.

Withey's proven? At what, sucking?

Ouch, that is harsh accusation. True, Withey is not a franchise player, he wouldn't be available as a discount FA if he was. But he is a young 7 footer who has shown some ability and still has upside. I like the signing and his prospects.

Looking at his stats the one thing that stood out to me is the minimal differences in his on/off stats. I like to look at on/off for an end of the bench guy, because I want to see how they impact the game. For a 2nd or 3rd center Withey does pretty well. He does not give up a bunch of easy points,or turn the ball over at a high rate. It appears that Withey keeps the ortg down about 1.1 when he is on the court and only increases his own teams turnovers minimally.

He didn't shoot a lot of shots from range, but the few he took he made at a high percentage. He also converted near the basket at a high rate. He was terrible from 3 to 10 ft away. But that is okay because he is a garbage man, he will come in like Jarron Collina and muck the game up for the other team without making a lot of mistakes.

*cough* point guard *cough*

Burke, Neto and Cotton are good depth. All are (or should be, in Neto's case) very good backup PG's. So the depth is there, we just don't have that #1 guy.

I think Burke has shown that he is a decent back up, Cotton is a great third stringer. So I don't think Stifle is that far off the mark tbh.
I would counter argue that there is zero depth because there is no #1 guy.

Gobert is the clear starter. Not even debatable. Pleiss will be on the team due to his contract, so his spot is secure.

I think Cooley and Withey will directly compete for that final spot. 3 spots and 4 men. 2 spots and 2 men are secure.

Pleiss is a rookie the Jazz intentionally brought over. Withey is a proven NBA player, a potential defensive presence. Cooley is neither. He's the odd man out.

For the most part, good posts.

It's exciting to be able to see Go!bert playing all year.

Pleiss is a rookie the Jazz intentionally brought over. Withey is a proven NBA player, a potential defensive presence. Cooley is neither. He's the odd man out.

Bing-Go!!!! As in correct take on the situation. Not an add for Bing or an endorsement for Bingo the game. Thought I should make that clear being a senior citizen and all.