What's new

This is the end

Possible custom chip designs.

This would be a cash oriented set of chips. This is just a place holder inlay. I'd have to come up with my own inlay.

$0.25 chip
quarter_chip.png

$1 chip
1_chip.png

$5 chip
5_chip.png

$25 chip
25_chip.png

anyone interested in messing around with their chip design tool, it's here: http://www.pokerchipdesigntool.com/

I'm probably one of those guys who didn't want to play for a lot of money. To start, I have no problem with anything said. But then again, if $20 flew out of my car, I would absolutely turn around for it. Also, I wouldn't have a problem playing every once in a while for higher stakes, but I absolutely have no interest in doing a league where the buy-in was $50+ every time.
It's great that you'll make money on your set up. Good for you. It all comes down to get the most enjoyment out of your money. If something isn't fun anymore, move on.

I was never into higher stake tournaments even when I was playing the $100-$200 cash tables on a daily basis. I pretty much only play tournaments for the social aspect of them, and most don't want to sit down with a couple hundred bucks, the ability to rebuy at any time, and the ability to walk away anytime you want.

I don't blame anyone for the stakes they want to play at. No one owed me higher stakes.

But for me, what I want out of poker, it is not entertaining for me to play a social poker tournament. Well, that's not true. It is. But that's not what scratches that deeper itch.

A big reason I've hosted poker games, and I've said this before, was a sort of self help thing. I'm not very social. I don't delude myself into thinking that's healthy. I had enough of a passion for poker to get myself out of my comfort zone and invite strange people into my house. And despite being the host and everything else, many times I still managed to be the most awkward person in the room.

I have been greatly enriched by the experiences I've had hosting poker games. And besides the game I ran on the USS Nimitz, the jazzfanz games are my most cherished. I've met many awesome people. I've also benefited from those interactions far beyond poker. It has been well worth it. I hope all of you who have come know that. I've gotten everything out of hosting that I could have hoped for.

But as far as poker is concerned... I have never set out to host a social poker game. I have always endeavored to host a poker game that serious poker players would appreciate. Little things. I've said many times "I want to host a game that I would want to play in." I've done that.

Funny enough, the games that got sidetracked the most were the ones I enjoyed the most. But it was always a guilty pleasure because I knew there were people waiting to get back to poker, and I had committed to hosting a tightly ran poker game.

Poker, for me, is deeply interesting because people are placed in stressful situations and they need to make decisions under pressure with several eyes on them. That's what I love most about poker. I don't have to be in the hand. I love to watch someone struggling to decide what they should do. The stakes have damn near everything to do with how that works. Now for me, if I put $100 on a poker tournament, I care enough to get stressed about the decisions I'm making. At $20? Not really. And people willing to pay $20 because they enjoy the social aspect and don't care so much about poker? Yeah, the stress level isn't there for the really juicy stuff I crave. And that's what it comes down to, ultimately.

I'm kind of bouncing around in my own head right now, but I hope to host fun get together stuff at my house in the future. I've considered buying a shuffleboard table, or hosting a board game night, or a spades league. Stuff that isn't based on money to make the game interesting. Without sufficient stakes poker is just a card lotto. If no one cares about winning or losing enough to get worked up about it there is nothing intriguing about poker.

Anyway, bottom line, I love you guys. This isn't me telling BigB or anyone else they suck because they don't want to play at the stakes I want them to play at. I just don't think I'm interested in hosting poker tournaments anymore. I never built the player base for the game I wanted. The irony is that I could have played at the stakes I wanted and had players ready to play in that game... but they would have been players playing down to my game, players who normally played higher stakes than I was comfortable playing in. So I kind of was just in the wrong place as far as that's concerned.

I'm gonna end this, but the conflict between wanting to play poker and wanting to be a quality host could keep me going for several more paragraphs. It was just not right for me anymore and I couldn't figure out how to make it right.

I for one really dislike Poker. I played competitively for a little bit for higher stakes and realized I didnt enjoy it. It took a bit to come to your poker parties but I ended up having a blast. I only play poker to hang out with people and drink some beers but I understand if you want a competitive higher stakes game that can be frustrating to play social games.

I didn't find you awkward, GF. Maybe a tiny bit but I found you just to be more quiet and observant and didn't think you stood out in any awkward way. Me on the other hand...

It was kind of painful, but after a few months I checked back.

Not sure how he split it up, this was the only listing I could find and I'm 100% sure they are my old chips. You can see in the "additional chips" breakdowns that match what I sold him. He made a good margin based on what I sold them to him for, and considering I bought them from him in the first place.

https://www.apachepokerchips.com/product/500-national-poker-series-paulson-poker-chips-copy/

Okay so...

I just got in on a group buy for some nice tournament chips

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/pcf-promo-tourney-set-ordering-closed.26801/
pcf_bcc_tour_set1g-png.150693

stacks_proof-jpg.151307

It'll be awhile before I get them. I have some other things I'm going to do. I'm going to remove the huge chip tray from my nicer table, which will mean I'll have to re-felt it. The armrest vinyl has cat claw damage so I'll reupholster that as well. I'm not 100% sure, but I may upgrade my kegerator as well. The one I have now is getting old and I didn't do a great job on it in the first place so I'd like a bigger one with improvements that I have in mind. So it'll be poker room V2.0 soon. Probably host a game in April.

The game I have in mind will be a $50 buy-in bounty tournament, $40 to the prize pool $10 bounty.

BP's game hosting and the atmosphere he's able to gather around is what really got me into poker.

Thank you!

I'm hoping that ~2 times a year I can do a bigger game with huge deep stacks 50K in starting chips.

BTW good choice with the Volvo, those cars are robust like mofos.
You think Volvos are robust? I drive a Ford truck, my wife drives a Volvo SUV. There is no question which is the more robust vehicle, and I will give you a hint, the brand does not start with a V.

Without going into comparisons, the chassis in a Volvo is as tight and solid as they come.
The electronics are whack. The repair costs are ridiculous. The local service is a joke (if you know of a decent repair shop I'd love the name). Maybe ours is a lemon. I sure hope so, because if they are all like this then Volvo is on the way out.

And despite being the host and everything else, many times I still managed to be the most awkward person in the room..

I honestly believe that if you have 15 people in a room at some social event, 12 people feel exactly like this, and the other 3 are only confident because they started drinking early.
A big reason I've hosted poker games, and I've said this before, was a sort of self help thing. I'm not very social. I don't delude myself into thinking that's healthy.

My theory is if it stops you from killing people, then isolation is completely healthy. Most of the regulars on Jazz fans are probably at least a little bit introverted. That's why we do so much of our socializing through a computer screen.

I’ve only ever been to one GF hosted tourney and it was a fundraiser for trout. It was a fun night and the brews he had on tap were ****ing delicious! Going by the old adage: “if you can’t spot the fish, you are the fish”. The only reason I didn’t play again(and I’m an hour south). Haha!