What's new

This is the Year

The Jazz were right to treat Hayward like a borderline star. He _was_ a borderline star.

Did Hayward get pissed and try to screw the Jazz? Yep.

Who had to flip the bill for Hayward's last two years? Not the Jazz, thank God.

Mitchell is smarter than that. But even if he wasn't, he's never going to be asked to go out and establish his market value. Because he's not a borderline star.

Does anyone seriously think he's going to look around at other early extensions and get butt-hurt? Dude knows he's going to get paid. He's smart enough to want the team to be as competitive as possible at the same time.

Pretending that he has the mentality of a guy like Westbrook is just stupid.
Its still not going to happen.

There is nothing analogous to Mitchell’s and Hayward’s situation and it says a lot about your position that you think there is.

But to be clear, I’d offer the extension and say, “it’s important you know how much we value you, but know we’re also serious about putting the best team around you,” then promise he’ll get his max money if he decides to forego the extension, but still have the extension out there. 2021 is going to be the last chance to get more serious help and that would be the most integral component of having space since it essentially generates space instead of just opening it.

Not trying doesn’t do anyone a service and the track record of the organization working for a players wishes instead of with them is rather poor.
Still not happening. It's not just Donovan who's going to want the guaranteed money in place ASAP, his agent will as well. Sorry, cap space is going to be gone. Booker, KAT, Simmons, Embiid, Murray, etc. They all signed it. Every player has. They could have had cap space another year too. Didn't matter. Just the reality of it. Donovan's great, Donovan's done a lot of great things for the franchise already. Donovan is going to care more about locking in his big pay day as soon as he can just like every other player. I'll say this though, if he is in fact willing to wait a year and allow for cap space that shows a Stockton/Malone type commitment to the franchise and winning.

Its still not going to happen.

Still not happening. It's not just Donovan who's going to want the guaranteed money in place ASAP, his agent will as well. Sorry, cap space is going to be gone. Booker, KAT, Simmons, Embiid, Murray, etc. They all signed it. Every player has. They could have had cap space another year too. Didn't matter. Just the reality of it. Donovan's great, Donovan's done a lot of great things for the franchise already. Donovan is going to care more about locking in his big pay day as soon as he can just like every other player. I'll say this though, if he is in fact willing to wait a year and allow for cap space that shows a Stockton/Malone type commitment to the franchise and winning.
Mitchell isn’t KAT, Booker, Embiid, or Simmons and I’m quite pleased about that. Furthermore, in most of those situations, stalling the extension wouldn’t open a max slot or they’re not in a position to be seriously approaching all-stars to sign. The Jazz are in a unique position right now and they’d be foolish to not at least entertain seizing it.

Gobert and Mitchell are going to have to have that type of commitment to winning if we’re to seriously entertain the idea of winning a ring. This team is geographically (that includes regional culture) disadvantaged more than just about any in the NBA outside of having home court at altitude. We need to eke out every possible advantage.

Back to the initial point, things are likely to change for the worse next year and could worsen far more the year after and following years. This is the year.

Last edited:
Mitchell isn’t KAT, Booker, Embiid, or Simmons and I’m quite pleased about that. Furthermore, in most of those situations, stalling the extension wouldn’t open a max slot or they’re not in a position to be seriously approaching all-stars to sign. The Jazz are in a unique position right now and they’d be foolish to not at least entertain seizing it.

Gobert and Mitchell are going to have to have that type of commitment to winning if we’re to seriously entertain the idea of winning a ring. This team is geographically (that includes regional culture) disadvantaged more than just about any in the NBA outside of having home court at altitude. We need to eke out every possible advantage.

Back to the initial point, things are likely to change for the worse next year and could worsen far more the year after and following years. This is the year.
I agree this is the year. Going forward Jazz are going to have to hit on a few draft picks that will give them control on the cheap, or find more Royce's of the world to fill in the roster.

I agree this is the year. Going forward Jazz are going to have to hit on a few draft picks that will give them control on the cheap, or find more Royce's of the world to fill in the roster.
We agree on that. I think all the work they’ve done on the fringes has set them up to keep digging out valuable players every so often. Whether Mudiay pans out or not, that he signed here because of the Jazz’s reputation signals that.