What's new

This site has jumped the tuna fish by turning on Hayward

Hayward is not more important to this franchise than Favors. Nothing more to say.

I think they are equally important, and Favors hasn't exactly been a model of consistency, but he gets a pass for some reason. He has up and down games as well. He goes from 21 pts and 18 boards on 54% shooting to a couple games later at 9 pts and 7 boards on 34% shooting. We talk more about Hayward because of 2 things, really. 1. he isn't signed to a long-term contract and we know we are "stuck" with favors (or blessed with him depending on). and 2. we know he can make or break the game, more so really than any other player except maybe Burke.

There will always be a "premium" for decent big men in the league because they're not very many good ones in the league. Favors is a top 10 center in the NBA...while this may sound ridiculous, name 10 centers in the NBA that are better than him? The only players I can think of that are better all-around centers than Favors are: Howard, Pekovic, Cousins, Marc Gasol, Hibbert, Pau Gasol...then who? I believe Favors contract is very reasonable for the position he plays.

There will always be a "premium" for decent big men in the league because they're not very many good ones in the league. Favors is a top 10 center in the NBA...while this may sound ridiculous, name 10 centers in the NBA that are better than him? The only players I can think of that are better all-around centers than Favors are: Howard, Pekovic, Cousins, Marc Gasol, Hibbert, Pau Gasol...then who? I believe Favors contract is very reasonable for the position he plays.

Horford and Duncan also make the list, but Favors is better than Pau at this point.

First game back from injury and he played true to his January average.

27, 5, 5 and 3 on 58% FG%. He is averaging (in January) 27, 5, 5, and 2 on 60% FG%.

If he continues these numbers how much do you all pay him?

Edit: I really want Hayward on this team next year. He is scary good and only appears to be getting better.

Brook Lopez. AKMVP thinks J Val is the best thing on the planet.

But yeah, Favors is probably top ten in the league as far as centers go, so his contract is definitely justifiable.

27, 5, 5 and 3 on 58% FG%. He is averaging (in January) 27, 5, 5, and 2 on 60% FG%.

Edit: I really want Hayward on this team next year. He is scary good and only appears to be getting better.

Before the season, when everyone was so down on Hayward getting more than 8 mil per year, I asked a question like this:

What will Hayward be worth when he goes out this year and gets 18, 6 and 5 on 45% shooting?

People freaked out, and said he would never get there.

His numbers on the season so far: 17.3 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 4.9 apg on 42.1% shooting. He will get to 18 points on 45% shooting, and will probably sign a max contract extension for 4 years.

Before the season, when everyone was so down on Hayward getting more than 8 mil per year, I asked a question like this:

What will Hayward be worth when he goes out this year and gets 18, 6 and 5 on 45% shooting?

People freaked out, and said he would never get there.

His numbers on the season so far: 17.3 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 4.9 apg on 42.1% shooting. He will get to 18 points on 45% shooting, and will probably sign a max contract extension for 4 years.

I think I even said he would get up to 18, 5, 5. Someone go look that stuff up.

Now granted this is only a span of about 5-6 games but it is very encouraging and it is proof that he can play at that level. He routinely gets better as the year goes on as well.

If he sustains his January averages til the end of the season, he's a max player (quite easily).

I don't think he does that, but Hayward is going to get paid, and he deserves it. He's very good.

If he sustains his January averages til the end of the season, he's a max player (quite easily).

I don't think he does that, but Hayward is going to get paid, and he deserves it. He's very good.

I realistically see him averaging 20, 5, 5 & 2 on 48% shooting. Keep in mind he is already at 3 out of 5 of those goals. He is closing in on the other two: 17.3 pps and 42% fg. Both of them are trending up over the last 10 games(23 ppg and 56% FG).

The idea that $2 million per year doesn't matter is funny. Maybe some context is important: $2 million (ANNUALLY) is a big deal to a team up against or above the LT (which ANY [hopeful] contender HAVE to consider). Furthermore, the Jazz are looking at trying to keep as many above-MLE/below max worthy players as possible which is dangerous territory. Paying one guy $2 million more than you should creates leverage for other good-but-not-great Jazz players to do the same. That extra money also creates an inevitably increased expectation at the time of the next negotiation for a player.

Building a roster with championship contention in mind isn't ever easy, and it's much harder for a team that can't operate above the LT for more than a year at a time. The Spurs - for example - are able to keep their core and even add a few small pieces because their core have been underpaid.

You have the OKC philosophy. That's a fine philosophy to have, but they stared right in Harden's face without budging. And lost. Hard.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];752389 said:
You have the OKC philosophy. That's a fine philosophy to have, but they stared right in Harden's face without budging. And lost. Hard.

I feel like they chose ibaka over harden..... bad choice

Yep. Even though he's a liability on defense, I'd have rolled with Hardin.

Durant, Hardin and Westbrook, and then tried to get a 4/5 to play with them.

Hardin/Adams >>>>>Perkins/Ibaka

Yep. Even though he's a liability on defense, I'd have rolled with Hardin.

Durant, Hardin and Westbrook, and then tried to get a 4/5 to play with them.

Hardin/Adams >>>>>Perkins/Ibaka

I agree. OKC would have three of the top ten players in the NBA.
Most teams should win titles with that.
Of course salary cap makes that impossible.
Seems unfair that you have to get rid of players you legitimately get through draft.