What's new

this team might just suck.

We are 30 games into the season so the excuses have left the building. We have no reliable scoring other than DM. We can’t shoot the ball - it’s apparent to everyone.

I think we need to probably need to build around Rudy and DM and let everyone else expire.

Start Exum and let's see what he can bring on the table, at this point there is nothing to lose in starting Exum.
I'm an Exum homer and I think it's worth trying out Exum with the starting unit a little bit more when the schedule lightens to see what he can do with them, as in very limited minutes (like 15) the lineup of Exum/Mitchell/Ingles/Crowder/Gobert is a +18.2 per 100, but I don't think he should be starting or getting to play anywhere near starters minutes right now. I'd be willing to wager that these minutes have only come from when Exum closed some games early in the season when he was playing well. The Favors/Gobert lineups aren't that great, but the Jazz' most played lineup of Rubio/Mitchell/Ingles/Crowder/Gobert is a +13.7 per 100 in 216 minutes this season. That's a pretty ****ing good differential, it's just that when the Jazz have to dip into their bench unit or try to play Favors and Gobert together that they really struggle, the starting lineup with Crowder in is pretty elite.

Fun fact though in Exum's defense; Raul Neto doesn't feature in a single lineup that has a positive +/- differential per 100. The best lineup he's in has a zero point differential and that is Neto/Exum/Ingles/Crowder/Favors.

Unfortunately we can say that the team played somewhat great yet still lost, many times this season. At what point do you say well that's not enough to run a pretty weave at the top, find a decent shot, but cannot finish the play. We lack the talent to do what is probably one of the most important things in basketball. Put the damn ball in the basket. I will not be praising anybody tonight outside of Favors. Nobody should be happy with the performance tonight. Especially when you have more free throws, significantly more shots, half the turnovers. They had 22? Holy...

We don't suck but we are a major disappointment. The silver lining to this latest disappointing loss is that we should see that we have to upgrade Rubio. I hate picking on him, but the guy simply isn't good enough to take us where we all expect to be.

He was not good at any aspect of basketball tonight. That's pretty freaking hard to do.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Start Exum and let's see what he can bring on the table, at this point there is nothing to lose in starting Exum.

When a player is inconsistent and plays poorly for different games, he should lose his starter status.
An atom sized brain

Unfortunately we can say that the team played somewhat great yet still lost, many times this season. At what point do you say well that's not enough to run a pretty weave at the top, find a decent shot, but cannot finish the play. We lack the talent to do what is probably one of the most important things in basketball. Put the damn ball in the basket. I will not be praising anybody tonight outside of Favors. Nobody should be happy with the performance tonight. Especially when you have more free throws, significantly more shots, half the turnovers. They had 22? Holy...

So they played really good besides hitting shots but no one should be happy with their defensive effort, their effort on rebounds, and their aggressiveness getting to the FT line?

OK.

So they played really good besides hitting shots but no one should be happy with their defensive effort, their effort on rebounds, and their aggressiveness getting to the FT line?

OK.

Yet with all that, we couldn't crack 90 points, and lost by 7. Don't you think that it is concerning? We won in probably all statistical categories except scoring/winning. However you want to spin it, this type of play hasn't produced on anywhere near the consistency required. Also, it's a nightmare watching Rubio's Matador Ole defense.

'Besides hitting shots'. Sounds like groundhog day this season. It basically means, besides winning.

DM is going to have to evolve his game or he’s simply a nicer version of Monta Ellis.

It can be done, but it’s going to require work.

He needs to realize just how many defenders collapse on him, leaving our guys open. If he starts actually stopping his one-track mind, he will see them open. It might also open up his lanes more if defenders are hesitant to close in for fear of the dish out.

Yet with all that, we couldn't crack 90 points, and lost by 7. Don't you think that it is concerning? We won in probably all statistical categories except scoring/winning. However you want to spin it, this type of play hasn't produced on anywhere near the consistency required. Also, it's a nightmare watching Rubio's Matador Ole defense.

'Besides hitting shots'. Sounds like groundhog day this season. It basically means, besides winning.
Not really. They played a great game outside of hitting shots in an arena that has ridiculous altitude. Every player was missing shots short.

Like I said, they shot terribly. The Jazz are a bad shooting team. They don't usually shoot that bad. That was an outlier game in terms of shooting. The effort was there and the defense was locked in and elite. Why should we/they feel bad about that? Give that effort and focus every game on defense and the Jazz are a top 5 defense again and that's how they win games. The Jazz have a below 100 defensive rating in a game, they are typically going to win. They just had some bad luck tonight with shots.

And WTF are you talking about with Rubio's defense? Yeah, he had a couple of bad moments, but his D was great most of the game.

I counted 1 game (I think it was a Dallas game?) But 9 out of our 10 last possessions were donovan dribbling the ball up the court and forcing something. There was LITERALLY 0 passing from him. Even tmac said 2 days ago if donovan wants to be anything like d wade he needs to assist more. His assists and turnovers are almost 1:1

A few thoughts:

• Mitchell was fine. He was able to create shots for himself and make a decent number amidst an otherwise stagnant offense. He got some FTs too. He may be fighting an injury that limits his explosiveness.

• I don't think you can say the starters were great tonight. They defended well and turned the Magic over in the first quarter, but the team finished the first quarter with 14 points.

• The closing unit is supposed to be our strongest and yet they got outplayed in the 4th quarter, while the team as a whole gave up 41 pts.

• The Jazz can't possibly win when Rubio, Crowder and Ingles shoot as badly as they did collectively tonight (8/33 or 24%). They represented 37% of the team's total shot attempts. The rest of the team would have to shoot over 60% to make that tenable.

• Ricky Rubio is shooting a career high number of attempts per game and shooting worse than last year. I'd be surprised if there's another player in the league who takes over 11 attempts per game and shoots .399 for an efg% of 46%. It's reminiscent of some of Russell Westbrook's worst seasons.

I counted 1 game (I think it was a Dallas game?) But 9 out of our 10 last possessions were donovan dribbling the ball up the court and forcing something. There was LITERALLY 0 passing from him. Even tmac said 2 days ago if donovan wants to be anything like d wade he needs to assist more. His assists and turnovers are almost 1:1

True, but who is he going to pass to who is more likely to put points on the board?

DM is going to have to evolve his game or he’s simply a nicer version of Monta Ellis.

It can be done, but it’s going to require work.
I mean, he has evolved his game. He showed it tonight.

Orlando is a drop big team, the kind of team Utah struggles to score against, so he pulled up for more mid-range shots with some success. The outside shooting just wasnt there from anyone else.

A few thoughts:

• Mitchell was fine. He was able to create shots for himself and make a decent number amidst an otherwise stagnant offense. He got some FTs too. He may be fighting an injury that limits his explosiveness.

• I don't think you can say the starters were great tonight. They defended well and turned the Magic over in the first quarter, but the team finished the first quarter with 14 points.

• The closing unit is supposed to be our strongest and yet they got outplayed in the 4th quarter, while the team as a whole gave up 41 pts.

• The Jazz can't possibly win when Rubio, Crowder and Ingles shoot as badly as they did collectively tonight (8/33 or 24%). They represented 37% of the team's total shot attempts. The rest of the team would have to shoot over 60% to make that tenable.

• Ricky Rubio is shooting a career high number of attempts per game and shooting worse than last year. I'd be surprised if there's another player in the league who takes over 11 attempts per game and shoots .399 for an efg% of 46%. It's reminiscent of some of Russell Westbrook's worst seasons.

How does that make any sense to you? The starting lineup scored 10 of those points in the first 5 minutes. The Jazz scored 4 points after they made the first sub out. They were up 10-2.