What's new

This team needs a makeover

Well, for argument’s sake, then you’re looking at:

Niko for Favors (expiring) and a top 15 protected pick.

Vs.

Niko + a second rounder for a 2-year salary dump and a top 5 protected pick from a team that was in the playoff picture.

In any case, I give up a 12-14 pick, then and now, and I’m not bitching about it, so I’m not certain why other people bitching about it would be relevant to your argument you’re having with someone who wouldn’t be bitching.
You take the better pick.

I also don't want to be the team that overpays Mirotic after his contract year where he finally decides to play well.

A protected first from the Jazz vs. a limited protected first from a playoff-bound NOP. The difference translates to:

The Jazz deal: nothing more than the above.

The NOP deal: $14M owes to Asik, plus throwing in a second rounder.

FYI Asik is receiving $11M this year from Chicago. It’s next year that’s only guaranteed at $3M. So yeah. When Chicago does the calculus of getting an expiring deal with a protected first rounder, it’s a lot more appealing than getting garbage salary for a pick from a playoff team, plus having to throw in a second rounder.
The Pelicans werent a guaranteed playoff team. They were slumping, it's why they made a trade. The Bulls took the trade with high reward potential. It didnt pan out for them, but NOLA loses two more games and it's the 14th overall pick.

You take the better pick.

I also don't want to be the team that overpays Mirotic after his contract year where he finally decides to play well.
So what’s the better pick between a protected Utah pick and a playoff-bound NOP pick? And does $14M for Asik and including a second rounder account for nothing in that equation?

I never heard of him being the level of high energy, constantly relentless, gritty type those players were known as coming out the draft. Faried was another example and there others who never leaped I'm sure, but it's the draft and happens more often than not.

grayson is the ultimate gym rat.

The Pelicans werent a guaranteed playoff team. They were slumping, it's why they made a trade. The Bulls took the trade with high reward potential. It didnt pan out for them, but NOLA loses two more games and it's the 14th overall pick.
How far back do you think a franchise would be willing to move from 14 if they were offered $14M and a second rounder?

But none of this ****ing matters. If it comes down to it, I pull back the protection to get closer to the type of protection NOP gave and offer the better financial package. NOP wasn’t finishing in the bottom 10, for sure. I offer top 10 protection and save them $14M plus not having to give up a second rounder. In fact, we have enough of those that I would have included them.

How far back do you think a franchise would be willing to move from 14 if they were offered $14M and a second rounder?
Depends on your franchise outlook. If you're trying to win now and sign a big time FA then you have a decision to make, but that's not the Bulls. I would say they wouldn't be willing to move back at all. The 14th pick would have been the high potential Michael Porter. They would want that.

They threw a team option contract at Parker to test his potential, but they still tanking.

In hindsight. Where was MPJ mocked to go on February 1?
Top 3.

I don't think that's how teams view it though. The higher the pick the better odds you have for finding talent. A tanking team has no real reason to save money (unless they are in the LT) at the expense of picking later in the draft.

So we didn't pull the trigger on a Mirotic deal last season and we didn't try to get bargain Bjelica in the summer.

Do we find a stretch 4 before the deadline? Or do we just keep Favors past the deadline and this summer too?

So we didn't pull the trigger on a Mirotic deal last season and we didn't try to get bargain Bjelica in the summer.

Do we find a stretch 4 before the deadline? Or do we just keep Favors past the deadline and this summer too?

Just weird to me that we have had the need for 2-3 years and wait for free agency this summer to make the move. We could have skated by on a bargain option too and kept our big swing for someone else.

Tony has mentioned multiple times... and I heard it again on the Game Theory podcast that we want Middleton. Milwaukee can easily offer him the 5 year max that beats what we can give him by $50M and they are a better basketball situation so long as Giannis is there. I think there is less than a 10% chance he moves anywhere... let alone here. I admire the confidence butttttt I don't see this working out well.

Just weird to me that we have had the need for 2-3 years and wait for free agency this summer to make the move. We could have skated by on a bargain option too and kept our big swing for someone else.

Tony has mentioned multiple times... and I heard it again on the Game Theory podcast that we want Middleton. Milwaukee can easily offer him the 5 year max that beats what we can give him by $50M and they are a better basketball situation so long as Giannis is there. I think there is less than a 10% chance he moves anywhere... let alone here. I admire the confidence butttttt I don't see this working out well.
It's going to be Dinwiddie