What's new

Thoughts about....well, not thinking(?)

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner
I have been dealing with some personal and family stuff that has profoundly and fundamentally changed my life over the past year or so.

Has anyone heard or read anything by Eckhart Tolle? I have and have found it to be strangely resonant for me, and I am curious if anyone else has any experience with this, or anything similar.

What do you think?

(see what I did there?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oORUehs4s7Q

Can you believe it, after all this time away I start out back at JF with this newage crap? There I got that out of the way. Whew I feel better already, don't you?

I have been dealing with some personal and family stuff that has profoundly and fundamentally changed my life over the past year or so.

Has anyone heard or read anything by Eckhart Tolle? I have and have found it to be strangely resonant for me, and I am curious if anyone else has any experience with this, or anything similar.

What do you think?

(see what I did there?)

Can you believe it, after all this time away I start out back at JF with this newage crap? There I got that out of the way. Whew I feel better already, don't you?

My family owns the "Power of Now", and one of his other really-popular books. Admittedly, theyre downstairs and I haven't taken the time to actually read through them (busy with school and such).

Taking your endorsement into account, I think I'll definitely have to check it out now.

PS: Good to see you back, Log :) Every forum could use a poster like yourself. I hope that you have been persevering through your trials, tribulations, and experiences to the best, and most learned of ways possible

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no comment on the subject.. but just wanted to say it's really good to see you back and I hope things are okay with the family.

I'm cool with it as long as it means you took up beer drinking.

My only input is new age kinda sucks. I graduated on from that to Mayanism, and am now even a step higher with Wicca. Ghouls n golems booyah.

I'm cool with it as long as it means you took up beer drinking.

My only input is new age kinda sucks. I graduated on from that to Mayanism, and am now even a step higher with Wicca. Ghouls n golems booyah.

More than you can fathom with your tiny franklin brain. Yo.

glad you're back Log :)

my mind is too scattered at the moment to focus on anything though so I have no further comment to add at this time

Well, this just made my day. Now, if we could just get Richard to talk his mom into Innerweb access, this could be the greatest week evar!

I have a feeling everyone's too polite to really dig into this topic because it's LogGrad's first thread in a long while, .... am I right???

Either that or we're too scared this would turn into another long drawn out religious discussion... LOL

Well, this just made my day. Now, if we could just get Richard to talk his mom into Innerweb access, this could be the greatest week evar!

Seriously, where the **** is vinylone? Is he someone else here or he just quit altogether?

This post brought to you by UGLI baby

What do you think?

(see what I did there?)

That Is Some Far Out Stuff Man. Thanks For Sharing The Video. Many Things In Life Over The Years Have Slapped Perspective In My Face. I Try My Best To Train Myself To Live In And For The Present But The Habits I Grew Up Around And With Have Me In The Same Routine That Tolle Referenced: Always Thinking About The Next Step.

I Had An Awakening Of Sorts When I Was 17 And My Old Man Passed Away. My Mother Had Died Two Years Prior And I Was The Oldest Of Four Children. At My Father's Wake One Of His Friends Who He Loved Dearly And I Always Looked Up To Saw How Broken Up I Was. I Had Many Of My Parents Friends Walking By To Console Me And Hug Me While I Wept. When He Got To Me He Just Looked At Me And Said "Hey Man, **** Happens."

Obviously You Were Coy In Your Post For A Reason But Whether It Was Death, Infidelity, Theft, Or Your Step Son Coming Out Of The Closet Then Threatening To Have His Mother Kick You Out Of The House When I Said He Better Be Sure This Time After He Came Out The Year Before But Then Said He Was Kidding Because He Wanted Attention (I Have Gone Through These All) I Hope You Still Have Something To Live For That Keeps You Excited And Passionate For Something.

I have a feeling everyone's too polite to really dig into this topic because it's LogGrad's first thread in a long while, .... am I right???

Either that or we're too scared this would turn into another long drawn out religious discussion... LOL

Come at me bro.

Seriously, I am interested in what other people think. Everyone has to find their own path through this life, and maybe in time I will be able to share some of what I am going through, although at this point I find it a little self-conscious to talk about and am still working through stuff. Suffice it to say that I found another video by Tolle that talked about quieting the constant thoughts in your mind, and that really struck a nerve for me, as that was a symptom, and partly a cause, of what I was going through. I read his second book, Stillness Speaks and, even though a lot of what he says seems to be common sense I have rarely seen it put in the same context he does. That one spoke to me (see what else I did there?). I have started The Power of Now, but I have read a lot of other things, scripture included, in between Stillness and now. The thing that impressed me about Tolle was that he didn't completely discount religion, which I still hold onto, the way some other "mystics" did. In fact he references Jesus now and then to emphasize a point, and it feels like Tolle is expounding on what Jesus already taught us more than anything else.

I'm ok if this turns into a religious discussion, as for me it has been somewhat of a spiritual journey. I know not everyone likes that, but I think without exposing ourselves to dissenting viewpoints we can't even really learn anything or grow at all.

That Is Some Far Out Stuff Man. Thanks For Sharing The Video. Many Things In Life Over The Years Have Slapped Perspective In My Face. I Try My Best To Train Myself To Live In And For The Present But The Habits I Grew Up Around And With Have Me In The Same Routine That Tolle Referenced: Always Thinking About The Next Step.

I Had An Awakening Of Sorts When I Was 17 And My Old Man Passed Away. My Mother Had Died Two Years Prior And I Was The Oldest Of Four Children. At My Father's Wake One Of His Friends Who He Loved Dearly And I Always Looked Up To Saw How Broken Up I Was. I Had Many Of My Parents Friends Walking By To Console Me And Hug Me While I Wept. When He Got To Me He Just Looked At Me And Said "Hey Man, **** Happens."

Obviously You Were Coy In Your Post For A Reason But Whether It Was Death, Infidelity, Theft, Or Your Step Son Coming Out Of The Closet Then Threatening To Have His Mother Kick You Out Of The House When I Said He Better Be Sure This Time After He Came Out The Year Before But Then Said He Was Kidding Because He Wanted Attention (I Have Gone Through These All) I Hope You Still Have Something To Live For That Keeps You Excited And Passionate For Something.

Wow cotton, that's deep. Seriously. It is amazing to me what we, as people, and as individuals, have faced in our lives, and overcome, for the most part. Anyway, found some way to keep going. Sometimes we feel like there is no way to overcome, and that can lead to...well scary things.

I definitely have things to live and fight for. My wonderful amazing tolerant and patient, and beautiful to boot, wife of 22 years. My 4 kids. My mom and dad (sorry to hear about yours). But as part of this all I have had to find my way out of always living for and looking for what comes next, and other things as fulfillment. I have even had to learn to go against the grain of both the religious teachings I grew up with and our prevailing cultural norms and NOT put my family, or even my wife, or my job, or whatever, ahead of my own fulfillment. Not just my own wellbeing, but ahead of what I need to do to be fulfilled in life. Like you said, those are long ingrained habits that are hard to break.

I don't know, maybe this is just a big mid-life crisis and what I really need is to buy another Corvette and high-tail it to Mexico with some blonde half my age for a few years before crawling back to the Mrs. hoping she would take me back.

But EJ is the closest I know to any blonde that would just take off with some strange guy to an exotic locale. And I am not real excited about that mustache.

Yeah so I guess this is a little far out there. I don't know I just wondered what other people thought about the concepts. I wasn't trying to get all esoteric on everyone, or be all cryptic, but that is exactly what I did.

So, yeah.

What do you think?

(see what I did there?)

This is not "newage crap", just rubber-on-the-road good sense.

well, maybe. But there is a place you could take your higher, or lower, criticisms too with impunity. . . . . the LTE.

Come at me bro.

Seriously, I am interested in what other people think. Everyone has to find their own path through this life, and maybe in time I will be able to share some of what I am going through, although at this point I find it a little self-conscious to talk about and am still working through stuff. Suffice it to say that I found another video by Tolle that talked about quieting the constant thoughts in your mind, and that really struck a nerve for me, as that was a symptom, and partly a cause, of what I was going through. I read his second book, Stillness Speaks and, even though a lot of what he says seems to be common sense I have rarely seen it put in the same context he does. That one spoke to me (see what else I did there?). I have started The Power of Now, but I have read a lot of other things, scripture included, in between Stillness and now. The thing that impressed me about Tolle was that he didn't completely discount religion, which I still hold onto, the way some other "mystics" did. In fact he references Jesus now and then to emphasize a point, and it feels like Tolle is expounding on what Jesus already taught us more than anything else.

I'm ok if this turns into a religious discussion, as for me it has been somewhat of a spiritual journey. I know not everyone likes that, but I think without exposing ourselves to dissenting viewpoints we can't even really learn anything or grow at all.

I haven't read The Power of Now and I'm not a good writer/argument maker, so please bear with me.

I watched the YouTube clip you posted and it sounded a lot to me like Buddhism... in particular Zen Buddhism? I am from a Buddhist background.. my family was Buddhist and I grew up going from Theravada Buddhism and branching out into Mahayana Buddhism and eventually the abstract Zen Buddhism... so I have had my fair share of "Mindfulness" training... Zen meditation, Shikantaza, "Just Sitting", you name it, I've done it... I was even ordained as a monk for a while living in a temple amongst the mountains in the North of Thailand. Buddhism in general boils down to "The cessation of Suffering" by way of "Being and living in the present moment" and experiencing things as they are at each moment without worrying about the future, the past, etc. "Enlightenment" is essentially a deep understanding that we and the Universe are one... and that each moment is all that we have and all that we should be focussed on. Mindfulness practice is in fact being used in the psychology I believe in treating and helping patients with terminal illness, mental illness, etc..

While I felt "At Peace" when I was ordained as a monk, I've always felt an empty void inside of me that was never fulfilled. "Why are we here?" for example, is a question we don't ask as a Buddhist because it's simply "A question not worth asking". So while we're told to sit in meditation.. while we're told to experience things as they are "at this moment", the question at the back of my mind still exists... "Who created the Universe?".. "Who created us?"... "Why do human exist?" .. etc, etc, etc.

I'm not going to go into reasons why I have since become a Christian because it's a personal journey and it would be different for everyone. Suffice to say that I have found "Love" to be the only thing that is "Good" in this world. In Buddhism, "Love" is taught as one of the emotions that is an obstacle to Enlightenment. Why? Because it's one of the "attachment" that we need to get rid of, in order to reach Full Enlightenment. As an example, the Buddha himself had to leave his family and went into the forest and meditate for 6 years before being enlightened. After some consideration/pondering, I was left asking myself this question "Is Peace or cessation of suffering = Truth?" or "Is Love = Truth?".

Ultimately I do believe that "True Love" exists and it exists in the creator who has created us... I'm talking about True Genuine Love.. (not Lust, Sex, Desire, etc). If True Genuine Love exists in this world (and I believe it does, naturally at least to a certain extent, between a mother and a child), it must follow that it should also exist in the mind of the Creator who have created us.. This leads me to the scripture that said that God is Love.. By Grace He saved us - not by Works. His Ultimate Love for us was Christ's sacrifice at the Cross on that day for all our sins...

Interestingly, I watched a Charles Stanley sermon this morning that more or less explained some of this.. By having Christ in our hearts and trusting him, we find Truth, True Peace and God's True Genuine Love. Ultimately, this is exactly the kind of Love that God wanted us to share with everyone around us, family, friends, etc, the way he had loved us.

Peace be with you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAqECaQoVPw

Last edited: