What's new

Thoughts and Prayers

More like this:
Donovan Mitchell scored a million points last night.

you called a semi-auto rifle an automatic assault weapon. That's not hyperbole.

Yo bro, I forget if I announced it on the board but my wife is due with #3 on 6/10. I'm catching up to you! #FML.

I still can’t believe your wife agreed to create one Serp Jr. Now there will be three? Heaven help us all.

But, congrats!

cant-wait-to-see-this-UUwaGV8WVZpMk
Well I don't know of a gun that can kill hundreds people at a time... I know of a bomb that would do that, but not a gun.

M134 Minigun can shoot up to 6,000 rounds per minute. One clip can hold up to 5,000 rounds.
Would cost about $100 in ammo to fire it for 3-4 seconds.
cant-wait-to-see-this-UUwaGV8WVZpMk

Last edited by a moderator:
Mis-identifying things is NOT hyperbole.

Done.

I'm referring to a situation where a single gun can kill hundreds of people at a time. Name me a real life non-war situation where hundreds of people were killed by a single gun in 1 single shooting.

I'm referring to a situation where a single gun can kill hundreds of people at a time. Name me a real life non-war situation where hundreds of people were killed by a single gun in 1 single shooting.

Steven Paddock came close, 58, plus about 500 injured, at least 200 of them directly shot. A few cm one way or the other, and it could have easily gone over 100. And he did that in the space of about 10 minutes. The cops too over an hour to get into his room, imagine how many more he could have taken out.

Steven Paddock came close, 58, plus about 500 injured, at least 200 of them directly shot. A few cm one way or the other, and it could have easily gone over 100. And he did that in the space of about 10 minutes. The cops too over an hour to get into his room, imagine how many more he could have taken out.

Wow, there you go. I stand corrected. It has happened. Very recently too. 2017.

Sadly more of the same now...

#GunControl

Damn, I really thought it was a hyperbole to say a gun could kill hundreds at a time, but here we have an actual event where 500 were injured by a single man last year. I obviously must have been too busy with work to have remembered it.

But... WOW.

Sad that those who have the job to protect us fail us (FBI and officer in this shooting). Don't love the idea of educators walking around armed all the time, but I think the idea of giving a few teachers or admin specialized shooter scenario training is not the worst idea. It should be focused on how to protect students and manage a shooter situation with firearm training as one potential component. Maybe not a great fix, but better than nothing. I also think all of the faculty should have to vote on the teachers to receive this training, and the firearms or protective devices should be biometrically locked in strategic locations with a silent alarm triggered when opened. Maybe even non-lethal options like bean bags, rubber bullets (better than nothing).

Have you thought about the possible ramification that such a circumstance would basically start a 2nd cold war between young people and grown ups in parenting roles? I think if I was a kid right now and I was aware of the fact that my teacher was carrying a weapon, I'd be a lot more careful to test my limits and practice social behavior(which IMO is especially important in a setting that's designed for young ppl to do that and part of doing it is discussing and questioning authorities. Such unhealthy behavior is a big reason why there're kids that are frustrated to a point where they choose to pick a weapon to get back at their teachers, classmates and society in general). Do I trust my teacher to handle a weapon responsibly under all circumstances? That teacher who may have a stressful job trying to educate large groups of kids multiple hours a day...
Personally, I wouldn't wanna jeopardize trust and barriers to its limits in a place with the purpose to create and exchange opinions, observations and free speech.

[...]Consequences for not only those who commit these crimes but also for those who make threats, jokes or not, online or elsewhere, also receive criminal prosecution. Play time is over.

In a different post you say you don't have a filter when it comes to speaking your mind. Though here you want to limit the opinions of those who may not be in favor of laws or do not know why they make sense to you. If you want to change ppl's behavior via threats ask yourself how proficient those threats by your parents were when you were young?! It's just that you are now in a different position of power and try to use that to the best of your ability like ppl have done before you.
I have a huge problem with reactionary behavior after a "trauma" because the energy is funnelled into pointing fingers, blaming others and that's what happens after every school shooting. No conflict has ever been solved that way. If this energy goes into thinking: What can I contribute so the situation for kids in at-risk situations of any kind is improved, then you're using your power responsibly, at least in my opinion, and maybe it will pay off.

My three year old daughter had to do a lockdown drill and hide in her classroom on Friday.

Sort of breaks my heart.

From a professional standpoint I'd be interested to hear what she took away from the drill? Did she talk about the experience and her thoughts and feelings connected to that?

@BTP dude thats an interesting point about arming teachers and one i hadn't considered. I can think of a number of my high school teachers who should not be let anywhere near a gun, it was bad enough they were allowed in classrooms for the most part.

This is what a combat veteran thinks about arming teachers with weapons:

"Arming educators is a terrible idea for a whole host of reasons, but I want to hone in on a crucial one: the fiction that arming teachers means they’ll be able to stop an armed attacker. We hear this over and over. In speaking Wednesday, the President said, 'If the coach had a firearm in his locker when he ran at this guy he would have shot and that would be the end of it. Unfortunately you just can’t make that assumption. It’s not as easy as it looks on TV."

"There were armed guards at Columbine, the Pulse nightclub and in Las Vegas at the time of the massacre. At Parkland too. Time and again, armed civilians or security guards are out-maneuvered, out-gunned and too inexperienced. It’s difficult for a rational person to reach a state where they can go toe-to-toe with an armed psychopath who has nothing to lose. I was professionally trained and still almost blew it at the moment of truth. If armed security guards often don’t stop shootings, teachers have no chance."

"Instructing a teacher in how to use a gun does very little. Guns aren’t magical objects that turn a person into a skilled warrior, no matter how proficient one is at marksmanship. Gun fighting is less about the weapon and more about a state of mind. It’s about will. The will to assert yourself over — and kill — your armed adversary who wants to kill you."

"Rather than arming teachers to shoot back, the more obvious solution is to prohibit the sale and ownership of weapons like the AR-15. And hopefully we will. Soon,"

https://www.someecards.com/news/news/combat-expert-trump-argument-teachers
I agree with banning the AR-15. As for arming teachers, I believe that if a teacher wants to take on that responsibility and to properly train for it then they should be allowed to. In fact, the government should provide them free training. I'm not for this because I think a teacher is going to win in a stand off against an armed lunatic. I'm for it because I think the armed lunatic might think twice before attacking a target where he knows a bunch of people are packing heat.

Damn, I really thought it was a hyperbole to say a gun could kill hundreds at a time, but here we have an actual event where 500 were injured by a single man last year. I obviously must have been too busy with work to have remembered it.

But... WOW.
Admittedly, it wasn't a single gun. I want to say 27 of them? But the point remains, if he had used handguns, he wouldn't have been able to do it. The two things that made it possible we A) the rate of fire, and B) the distance.

Looking straight logically, a single gun cannot kill a hundred people at a time. Is it possible for one guy, in the right scenario, to kill a hundred people in a shooting spree? Of course. Las Vegas basically proved that.
I’m definitely not on the side of absolutely “no gun reform”. I’m not on the side of “ban guns” either. I personally don’t think AR-15’s should be banned. That might be because I own one and wouldn’t want to give it up. But it might not be for that reason either. I haven’t figured that out yet. I am for raising the age to buy one. I am for stricter, tighter background checks. I am for making all sales go through licensed dealers. I personally wouldn’t sell a firearm to an individual. I am for banning bump stocks and other modifications to speed up rate of fire. I am for a waiting period (maybe two weeks, maybe four) to walk out of the store with a gun. It wouldn’t hard to convince me to be for limiting magazine capacity (don’t really care at this point).
I am for protecting our kids and our schools. To me, that looks differently than it does to others. I personally think every school should have all doors locked and you have to “buzzed” in by security (whether that’s nothing more than an administrator is another point to discuss). At one point I thought arming teachers was a good idea. Now, not so much. But I do think if they want to be armed, they should be allowed to, but the staff should know. I’m personally glad to know teachers can be armed in the state I live in. I’ve personally been armed while walking around a school while in session and no one knew.