What's new

Thoughts on "black face" costumes this Halloween

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
We were discussing this with my daughter and a few if her friends. Not this exact case, but the concept in general. I was curious what the jazz fanzers think. Apologies if something similar has been posted before.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/nur...kface-beyonce-costume-facebook-144034220.html

A woman who reportedly dressed up as Beyoncé for Halloween thought it would be a good idea to include blackface in her costume, but on Monday she faced the consequences when she was fired from her job as a nurse at a Kansas City, Mo., hospital.

Is a costume really the exact same as blackface from the early 20th century when it was used almost exclusively to mock people of color? If SOME RANDOM PERSON is a huge fan of say LeBron James, or of course Donovan, and wanted to resemble him for Halloween how does THIS RANDOM PERSON go about doing that in any kind of realistic way? Is this even remotely the same as say the movie "white girls"? Curious what everyone thinks.

Please note, I am NOT arguing that blackface should be used or that it is ok, I am genuinely interested in people's opinions. No need to quote me and say how stupid I am that I want people to use blackface. That is not the argument, and in fact I am making no argument one way or the other, just opening up the conversation with a provocative question. Thank you.

Good hell it is irritating that people look so hard for someone to say "dude you so stupid for wanting to do that" to that they cannot understand a hypothetical when presented as, you know, a hypothetical. I guess people just mostly want an argument and a way to feel superior by putting someone down rather than actually having a discussion.

Last edited:
How do people keep doing this dumb **** every year?

There's a million costume possibilities.

Plus, if you suck so bad at designing and making your costume that people can't tell who you are, having darker skin isnt going to make it any better.

Just don't do it. Really straightforward and simple.

If it offends someone it’s racist regardless of why you are doing it. Reminds me of when ESPN did an auction draft on tv and got blasted on social media because people thought it resembled a slave auction from back during the time of whites owning and buying slaves. It didn’t seem racist to me, but that’s how it goes. If you want to dress as DM, put on a DM jersey and leave your face the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have to ask if something like a insignificant like Halloween costume is racist... then I’m going to say just don’t do it. It ain’t worth it.

If it offends someone it’s racist regardless of why you are doing it. Reminds me of when ESPN did an auction draft on tv and got blasted on social media because people thought it resembled a slave auction from back during the time of whites owning and buying slaves. It didn’t seem racist to me, but that’s how it goes. If you want to dress as DM, put on a DM jersey and leave your face the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be white DM... will be much better.

We were discussing this with my daughter and a few if her friends. Not this exact case, but the concept in general. I was curious what the jazz fanzers think. Apologies if something similar has been posted before.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/nur...kface-beyonce-costume-facebook-144034220.html

Is a costume really the exact same as blackface from the early 20th century when it was used almost exclusively to mock people of color? If I'm a huge fan of say LeBron James, or of course Donovan, and want to resemble him for Halloween how do I go about doing that in any kind of realistic way? Is this even remotely the same as say the movie "white girls"? Curious what everyone thinks.

You shouldn't do anything that was done in White Girls, as a general rule of thumb.

Is a costume really the exact same as blackface from the early 20th century when it was used almost exclusively to mock people of color? If I'm a huge fan of say LeBron James, or of course Donovan, and want to resemble him for Halloween how do I go about doing that in any kind of realistic way? Is this even remotely the same as say the movie "white girls"? Curious what everyone thinks.
If you want to be DM for Halloween

1. Wear his jersey
2. Get his haircut, a wig that resembles his haircut, or that black and white hat he wore all the time last year
3. Wear that "45" medallion necklace he wears all the time
4. Grow a patch of hair on your chin

That should do it.

(Also dressing as an athlete is the lamest costume possible)

If you want to be DM for Halloween

1. Wear his jersey
2. Get his haircut, a wig that resembles his haircut, or that black and white hat he wore all the time last year
3. Wear that "45" medallion necklace he wears all the time
4. Grow a patch of hair on your chin

That should do it.

(Also dressing as an athlete is the lamest costume possible)

Unless you're Gordon dressing up as Judge.

Blackface has a very racist backstory, so whether you intend to make fun or not, it will be perceived that way. Regardless, you can wear what you want - but don't be surprised by the consequences.

This is how a white person dresses up like a black person

ellen-degeneres-nicki-minaj-costume-for-halloween-2013.jpg