What's new

Three Point Two

Man, I'm glad I live in OR where I don't have to worry about this any more. One of my main haunts makes a lovely imperial that's about 11%.

Last edited:
https://kutv.com/news/local/more-th...gF8dGP53cBVLfHNGoHwvNuNUVfdGJy8q5zHxpawJ-TygA

SALT LAKE CITY (KUTV) — More than a dozen bars in the Salt Lake City area are boycotting a local brewer over its owner’s opposition to the beer bill.

Dave Morris, who owns five bars from Murray to Ogden, was the first to stop selling Red Rock Brewery’s beers on March 7. Since then, he’s spread the word and says the total number of bars that have joined his effort is up to 17.

“I’m certainly not going to contribute to a business that’s owned by someone who is aligning himself against my business,” Morris said.

**** YES!

Robert Jensen needs to get the **** out of the beer industry in Utah and get the **** out of Utah.

We're almost done with 3.2. If you don't know, many of the smaller craft breweries are offering their remaining 4%abv (3.2%abw) at a discount. So If you have a local brewery you really like this would be a good time to stop in. Some specials are for beer on tap and some are for their packaged beer.

I was in the state run liquor store the other day and was struck by the number of beers they will no longer be carrying (they've put up "discontinued" tags on them}. Can't even imagine if the 6%abv law would have passed. But seeing that I realised that by and large many of those beers were probably going away in Utah altogether. I mean walmart could decide to carry Samuel Smith beer, but I kind of doubt they will. So there's some sadness in this from my perspective. The liquor stores suck and sell old warm beer, but they really did offer a decent selection.

Oh well. A little bit of progress.

I hope the ****ing Bush beer drinkers in Utah don't get stupid and **** this up. If we can all behave like rational adults we can make an argument for eliminating the limit on beer alcohol content in a year or two.

Don't drink and drive!

Don't drink and abuse your family members!

Don't give kids easy access to alcohol!

Don't drink and then go out in public acting stupid!

We can do this!

We're almost done with 3.2. If you don't know, many of the smaller craft breweries are offering their remaining 4%abv (3.2%abw) at a discount. So If you have a local brewery you really like this would be a good time to stop in. Some specials are for beer on tap and some are for their packaged beer.

I was in the state run liquor store the other day and was struck by the number of beers they will no longer be carrying (they've put up "discontinued" tags on them}. Can't even imagine if the 6%abv law would have passed. But seeing that I realised that by and large many of those beers were probably going away in Utah altogether. I mean walmart could decide to carry Samuel Smith beer, but I kind of doubt they will. So there's some sadness in this from my perspective. The liquor stores suck and sell old warm beer, but they really did offer a decent selection.

Oh well. A little bit of progress.

I hope the ****ing Bush beer drinkers in Utah don't get stupid and **** this up. If we can all behave like rational adults we can make an argument for eliminating the limit on beer alcohol content in a year or two.

Don't drink and drive!

Don't drink and abuse your family members!

Don't give kids easy access to alcohol!

Don't drink and then go out in public acting stupid!

We can do this!

My icehouse better remain......

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

So I'm not sure if "3.2" beer is on it's way out or if Utah will find a way to continue the silly separation between "Utah beer" and "high point" beer. I hope it is on it's way out.

But what I want to talk about in this thread is how we get there from here. What I mean is, many people talk about "3.2" beer like it contains so little alcohol that it's essentially impossible to get drunk drinking it. They also compare 3.2% ABW (alcohol by weight)directly to the strength of other beer using the standard measurement used in the industry, ABV (alcohol by volume). This creates the false perception that "3.2" beer is weaker than it is and that other beer is dramatically stronger. From the perspective of someone who drinks beer there is a popular view that more alcohol is better and that we want to be able to feel it (become intoxicated). Beer drinkers don't need to be convinced that it's okay to drink stronger than 4%ABV (3.2%ABW) beer. Beer drinkers are not the ones holding onto the 3.2% rules.

The people who need to be persuaded don't drink. Like forreal. They don't drink at all. They don't understand drinking culture and they don't understand common drinking practices. It's all this shadowy mysterious activity that is certainly just a tolerated evil. When the curtain is lifted back it's typically only when the uglier parts of drinking can be seen. People passed out, people slurring their words and acting stupid. It's easy to assume that what they see is what drinking culture is.

Calling 4%abv beer "3.2" beer isn't helping. Why? Because the people who like the current restrictions see ditching the 3.2%abw rules as allowing a very large jump in the alcohol content in beer sold at grocery stores and gas stations. They assume that beer drinkers will just drink the same volume of beer and get WAY more drunk.

So let's make the distinction clear. Let's call "3.2" beer 4% beer. Let's also make clear that in states without the "3.2" rules Budweiser is 5%abv and in Utah it's 4%abv. Bud Light is 4.2%abv vs our 4%abv. Corona Extra is 4.6%abv, vs our 4%abv version.

So what I'm saying here is that the difference is not huge at all. This isn't about having access to stronger beer so that we can get super drunk super fast. This is about letting the taste and style dictate the alcohol content. Beer is not just an alcohol delivery system. It is a flavorful beverage and the alcohol is part of the balance that creates the desired flavor profile.

335009139.jpg
Percentage-glass.jpg

Agree with your overall synopsis. I prefer a nice strong IPA in the 6-9% range though, which is substantially more than the 3.2 or 4. But going to a liquor store is not the end of the world. The rule that is really dog poo is not being able to get a strong draught beer. That is a crime against humanity.

Agree with your overall synopsis. I prefer a nice strong IPA in the 6-9% range though, which is substantially more than the 3.2 or 4. But going to a liquor store is not the end of the world. The rule that is really dog poo is not being able to get a strong draught beer. That is a crime against humanity.
Wait, so in Utah if you want a beer at a bar or restaurant stronger than 4 it has be from a bottle or can?

Wait, so in Utah if you want a beer at a bar or restaurant stronger than 4 it has be from a bottle or can?
I just buy a beer from the bar or restaurant, then after the waiter or waitress leaves I pull my flask out and make my beer whatever percentage of alcohol I want it to be.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app