What's new

Time for a true gutting of the team this offseason.

The contract he has isn't guaranteed and is heavily incentive laden. It's probably closer to 12 to 13, which I'm okay with. Otherwise, yeah, we need to retool on the offensive end. Need a second option badly.
I understand. If he reaches the incentives, then that means he is doing well which means good things for us. If he doesn't reach incentives, it means he isn't as valuable but also not as expensive.

If we had the opportunity to trade Exum for something more proven and durable, I'm all for it. I just don't know if that exists at this point in time. And I dont think we should just dump him.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

We need to start thinking beyond Tobias:

"The Sixers are 8-5 since he arrived, with a net rating that has been slightly improved from before (3.2 with him, three without, and that includes eight games without Embiid when he was out with a knee injury). In terms of the early stages of the Harris-Sixers relationship, it’s probably a good sign for this summer’s negotiations that a source close to Harris recently raved about first-year general manager Elton Brand."

We need to start thinking beyond Tobias:

"The Sixers are 8-5 since he arrived, with a net rating that has been slightly improved from before (3.2 with him, three without, and that includes eight games without Embiid when he was out with a knee injury). In terms of the early stages of the Harris-Sixers relationship, it’s probably a good sign for this summer’s negotiations that a source close to Harris recently raved about first-year general manager Elton Brand."

We are... you can do both. The playoffs is the crucible for them... flame out and things change... they are in the honeymoon phase. Wait until they are down 2-1 to Brooklyn and Ben Simmons scores 4 points and is replaced by TJ McConnell in the closing lineup.

The whole landscape of the league could shift this offseason. So much is in flux that nothing would surprise me a whole lot. They have the 5 year trump card... may not want to go to it if they pay Jimmy doe.

We are... you can do both. The playoffs is the crucible for them... flame out and things change... they are in the honeymoon phase. Wait until they are down 2-1 to Brooklyn and Ben Simmons scores 4 points and is replaced by TJ McConnell in the closing lineup.

The whole landscape of the league could shift this offseason. So much is in flux that nothing would surprise me a whole lot. They have the 5 year trump card... may not want to go to it if they pay Jimmy doe.
Absolutely. Tobias needs to get our attention, but those around here fixating on Tobias need to open their minds to more realistic targets.

Absolutely. Tobias needs to get our attention, but those around fixating on Tobias need to open their minds to more realistic targets.

Shoot the moon (for us he is the moon). I think he is realistic. Remember like a few months ago when everyone said cross Kyrie off your FA list he said he's staying in Boston. Things change.

There is likely only like a 3-5% chance you get any one of those guys... but no reason to write any off. I think there are a lot of good plan B options... the more I've looked around the more encouraged I am. A good fitting starter like Bojan Bogdonovic and some internal improvement and I think we are significantly better. Hit on a pick and we are gold. I think the core of the squad is so good and we have some nice role players. DL has plenty to work with. If he doesn't get something done it would be his own fault.

Shoot the moon (for us he is the moon). I think he is realistic. Remember like a few months ago when everyone said cross Kyrie off your FA list he said he's staying in Boston. Things change.

There is likely only like a 3-5% chance you get any one of those guys... but no reason to write any off. I think there are a lot of good plan B options... the more I've looked around the more encouraged I am. A good fitting starter like Bojan Bogdonovic and some internal improvement and I think we are significantly better. Hit on a pick and we are gold. I think the core of the squad is so good and we have some nice role players. DL has plenty to work with. If he doesn't get something done it would be his own fault.
Is bojan that giant dude that makes Rudy look tiny? I'm thinking not based of the context of your post but I thought that was that huge mother ****ers name.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I'd even be happy if The Jazz can "get a meeting" with a player of Kyrie's caliber during free agency.

Jazz need to at least be considered a player before they can become one.

Either way the clock is ticking - Rudy's contract is going to expire in his prime and before you know it they're going to have to pay DM. Locke was talking about this the other day as a reason why The Jazz have to be conservative - this type of loser thinking is going to keep this franchise's wheels spinning ad infinitum.

Of course we have to go for the big names but I have zero expectation we get a max contract guy this off-season. If Kyrie leaves, it's because of LA or NY not us. Tobias is a 3-5% chance if he leaves Philly. Which really means he is even less of a chance. But we have to try...

I like Bojan. Dont know why Indy would let him go, but worth a shot.

I like Bjelica if Sacramento looks to dump. I like Ilyasova if Milwaukee has to dump a salary. Neither of those two make us contenders, but they still help us in a need area.

I think we could max Russell, but I think Brooklyn keeps him even if we do overpay him. Same I guess for Brogdon.

I like Redick and Danny Green, but they only take us to the next level if we have a bunch of internal improvement. Which is possible. It is possible that O'Neale and Exum become really, really good.

Only need 2 upgrades in all honesty. Better PG and a stretch 4 like Tobias Harris and the Jazz will be championship contenders.

I'd even be happy if The Jazz can "get a meeting" with a player of Kyrie's caliber during free agency.

Jazz need to at least be considered a player before they can become one.

Either way the clock is ticking - Rudy's contract is going to expire in his prime and before you know it they're going to have to pay DM. Locke was talking about this the other day as a reason why The Jazz have to be conservative - this type of loser thinking is going to keep this franchise's wheels spinning ad infinitum.

I agree... the fact we have to pay guys isn’t a reason to be conservative. The nba has proven no contract is untradeable. If we got in a bind financially we could wiggle out.

Scared money don’t make none... doesn’t mean we have to get dumb... but an overpay for a good addition is fine.

Only need 2 upgrades in all honesty. Better PG and a stretch 4 like Tobias Harris and the Jazz will be championship contenders.

I somewhat agree... I think we actually have some great stretch 4 options already in Jae and Royce. I think Royce is a stretch 4 long term... thought that he could do it last year and with all the freedom of movement stuff he has been less effective guarding quick perimeter guys. Does a solid job on bigger wings and I think could hold his own against most 4s and provide additional switchiness. He's a great spot up shooter and has chilled a bit with the turnovers. Tobias is a huge upgrade so he'd be worth it, but I'm not sure we need another stretch option unless they are obviously better than Crowder and Royce.

The perimeter is where we need help. I think DM is better as a pg, but that he can play either guard spot... so we could add a pg or a SG/SF. It's an overpay, but throw a max to Brogdon if we miss on more obvious guys. He provides a lot of what we'd want. Milwaukee might match, but they'd at least think hard about it.

After that I could see something in the $20M range for Bogdonovic being a bit too rich for Indiana... I think we could make that offer and keep Favs if we wanted. Timing is tricky because we'd decline Favs option to offer Malcolm, but then could negotiate a 3/36... I still don't see a huge offer for him in FA... maybe Dallas I guess.

Of course we have to go for the big names but I have zero expectation we get a max contract guy this off-season. If Kyrie leaves, it's because of LA or NY not us. Tobias is a 3-5% chance if he leaves Philly. Which really means he is even less of a chance. But we have to try...

I like Bojan. Dont know why Indy would let him go, but worth a shot.

I like Bjelica if Sacramento looks to dump. I like Ilyasova if Milwaukee has to dump a salary. Neither of those two make us contenders, but they still help us in a need area.

I think we could max Russell, but I think Brooklyn keeps him even if we do overpay him. Same I guess for Brogdon.

I like Redick and Danny Green, but they only take us to the next level if we have a bunch of internal improvement. Which is possible. It is possible that O'Neale and Exum become really, really good.

There are a lot of options that I think we could get... I hate Ilyasova for us, but other than that the options you mentioned are good... I'd add Rudy Gay, Aminu, Harrison Barnes, Ariza, Lamb, Hood (yeah I still think he's good sometimes).

there are also trade options... Contenders have to get a little lucky.. we need to add something, but also hit on a pick here or there... even a small win on a pick could really help things. I'm optimistic right now... even if we lose on the big splashy names.

In an interview fron 3/8.
Rudy Gobert: "I just keep wondering, 'What else am I supposed to do?'"

How about stop whining and crying a grow a pair? Geez, you get pushed around like a little kid and you can't shoot from over 5 ft. And you have hands of stone. It's just embarrassing to see you try to make any kind of move inside. You have to be spoon-fed as you're rolling to the hoop, with the ball delivered head high.. Anything else and it's 90% you won't be able to do a thing except pass it back out or turn it over.

Stop traveling this summer with Raul and dedicate yourself to getting better. You're like AK after he signed HIS big deal. He just stopped improving.
He’s in the middle of a career year and is one of the most game-changing players (that’s BOTH sides of the ball) in the NBA. Turning a wildly efficient player that already lacks spacing into a post-player is an absolutely terrible idea, as is hoping he takes jump shots and removing him from offensive rebounding position.

Gobert is worth well beyond what he’s paid. He’s a legit cornerstone. The team lacks playmakers and shooters.

This roster does need real attention, but Gobert is probably the last person deserving of it.

After the fan/Westbrook incident, how many free agents are willing to give Salt Lake City a spin?

It may sway some... I don't think it is that big of a deal. Bill Simmons was talking on his pod about how opposing players know how awful it is to play here against that crowd. It sounded like a bad thing, but then I thought it would be much worse if opponents were like awesome we get to play in Phoenix tonight and no one will show up... the passion is good but can be misguided.

We likely were never someone's top choice and that is okay... but someone will settle.

He’s in the middle of a career year and is one of the most game-changing players (that’s BOTH sides of the ball) in the NBA. Turning a wildly efficient player that already lacks spacing into a post-player is an absolutely terrible idea, as is hoping he takes jump shots and removing him from offensive rebounding position.

Gobert is worth well beyond what he’s paid. He’s a legit cornerstone. The team lacks playmakers and shooters.

This roster does need real attention, but Gobert is probably the last person deserving of it.

Our two core guys need additional space to be at their best... may sacrifice some of our defense to provide it, but just adding some legit consistent shooting would go a long way. Korver has helped, but the rest of his game is so limited. Even just playing a different mix of players might help.

Shooting and playmaking should be the big emphasis... can theoretically add it at any position that isn't center and maneuver the other parts around it.

Our two core guys need additional space to be at their best... may sacrifice some of our defense to provide it, but just adding some legit consistent shooting would go a long way. Korver has helped, but the rest of his game is so limited. Even just playing a different mix of players might help.

Shooting and playmaking should be the big emphasis... can theoretically add it at any position that isn't center and maneuver the other parts around it.
Yep.

My frustration stems with falling in love with what was an obviously flawed roster that got hot and deciding to do nothing of substance. Re-upping a guy that had really nothing to do with that success makes the off-season that much more frustrating.