What's new

TMZ reports that Kobe Bryant passed away.

There are so many more Messi wannabe’s than LeBron wannabe’s but none can replicate it. The height, yea. The skill, no. The guy is a wizard. Even at 5’7, try to be Messi. Impossible.

Right, but it's all related. Height is just one of the many prerequisites. I would argue that in the case of Messi, or since we're on a basketball forum, someone like Larry Bird, LeBron, or more contemporarily, Jokić, the biggest thing is what you'd call reading the game.

Just like any tool, you can hone it, but you gotta have the tool to begin with. You can't learn court vision any more than you can learn lateral quickness.

And just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that hard work plays no part. I'm suggesting that it plays a much smaller part. In the case of becoming an NBA player, hard work is like actually going down to the gas station to buy the lottery ticket. Most of it is luck, but yeah, you do have to actually buy the ticket as well. It's the much easier part than your numbers being drawn, though.

My little nephew is 4. He is starting to get into sort-of-video games on his phone(don't ask), so I thought I'd get him to play some real video games. So I set up some retro stuff for us. You know, some SNES and Genesis emulators. I have two controllers, and one is mapped like your regular controller. Direction pad, the 4 buttons. Just like a Super Nintendo controller would be. It even looks identical to it, as my little sister got me some PC replica controllers. The other controller has no directional pad mapping and all keys are bound to the jump button. So, I move around and my nephew just presses jump. Or more precisely, presses anything on his controller and it makes the character jump. And when he forgets to, I just press jump on mine. He loves it. He thinks he's amazing at old video games and who am I to ruin this for him?

That's pretty much what life is. If you're lucky enough to have someone else doing most of the controls, all you have to do is press jump. It does take some skill and timing, but it's wholly unlike having to play by yourself and control everything.

I mean, not to throw around the fact that I'm an English teacher, but "Luck is the only thing" and "Everything is about luck" are obviously not the same thing. You'd think a monolingual, native English speaker would be better at understanding nuances of the language than an ESL immigrant, but hey. Here we are.

I used to work in insurance as well, so forgive me for conflating incredibly improbable and absolutely, categorically impossible. It's an industry thing, but it's also just a real life thing. It's not physically impossible(such as running on the surface of the Sun would be) for a 5-foot-5 kid born in 2000 and still living in Afghanistan to make the Jazz roster this October, but it's incredibly improbable. To a point where we probably need not worry about the difference between the two.

Luck is everything. You're never going to be in a position to push that jump button without it.

Mark Cuban attributed the vast majority of his success to luck. Luck is decidedly a huge factor in success anywhere in the human world. It cannot be denied. I have a cousin who bet big on a now more or less defunct brand and collected a multi-million dollar payday. Set him up for life. But it was really, at the time even, a stupid bet that just happened to pay off. I have a good friend who has built a roughly $2 million portfolio of investments by age 55. He did it through careful analysis and a ton of work in the markets, diversification, all that...oh and he got into and out of a few stocks at exactly the right time to see huge gains. You could argue all his hard work made him good at analyzing so he knew which stocks to bet on, but he'll tell you he fell into it, knew nothing about the industries, and got extremely lucky on a few moderate bets that paid off big.

The influence of luck cannot be overestimated.

I’ve always wanted my kids to feel lucky and confident, so when they get a question right I tell them it was a lucky guess. When they succeed at something, it was a lucky chance.

Nothin like the feeling of helping your kids feel lucky at the end of the day.

Me and Tiger Woods dad are complete opposites, but both super successful.