What's new

TMZ reports that Kobe Bryant passed away.

This is devastating. Guy absolutely killed us for years... hated his guts but loved how hard the guy worked. The later career Kobe that stopped trying to be MJ and stopped giving an eff was awesome. Just crazy... the dad in me is just sick man. RIP Mamba.

Pretty sure Trout was the first person I ever blocked on this website. After seeing numerous posts by other posters, I became curious as to who I was blocking. I clicked to reveal who was posting and saw the content.

I had actually forgotten that Trout was blocked. Now it’s obvious why I did. Just an awful poster and wretched human being. Go away.
ditto

Fierce competitor. A legend forever. He destroyed the jazz many of times but that is all beside the point.

His poor family lost 2 souls on this horrific day. With a new baby born in June, he was just getting started off the court. 41 is just too young whether you hated him or not.

Prayers out to his family and others that lost their loved ones

Reactions: MVP
This one just hit me different. I haven't felt this way about an athlete/celebrity death in quite some time. I grew up in the 90's so Kobe was a large influence on my love of basketball. He was on the rival Lakers so obviously I hated when the Jazz played against him. One of my favorite memories as a kid was the Stockton/Malone Jazz crushing the Kobe/Shaq Lakers in 4 straight in the 98 WCF. But as I got older my appreciation and respect for his talent grew. Eventually he became one of my favorite players (when he wasn't playing the Jazz obviously). I just can't seem to process this news. It does not feel real. This whole day has been a blur.

I'm gonna take work off tomorrow and I don't really give a ****. I just need a minute to wrap my mind around this.

RIP Kobe, Gianna and all those lost

Pop summed up the feeling of today's games the best after the Spurs lost to the Raptors... "Good game, tough loss, who cares."

I can't help but think about the sheer terror everyone in that helicopter must have felt as it plummeted to the ground. I know what they felt, because I've felt that when the plane I was on had to take drastic evasive action to avoid crashing into the mountains when trying to land in a blinding snowstorm in Sarajevo several years back. I truly believed I was about to die, and it was a helpless, hopeless, terrifying feeling. Although I travel for a living, every time I get in a plane, I now wonder whether this it for me and what it would be like. I still haven't shaken the memory of that feeling.

Just a terrible tragedy.

I have to take some issue here with all the talk of "We must all be respectful about this"
OK, what if Donald Trump, or say...Rush Limbaugh died in a helicopter accident?
What then?
No need to answer. I'm sure I know a bunch of you would be gleeful as can be.

So hey, not everyone is going to agree with you and say RIP or whatnot. Get over it.

As for me, I don't have much feeling for Kobe either way. It was shocking at first, but after a while, it didn't matter much. I don't feel like watching all the coverage about it. I never met Kobe, didn't know him. Famous people die regularly.
Neil Peart died last week. Ric Ocassek died a few months ago. Both were my musical heroes. Sad that they passed, but I didn't have much of a reaction to it.
Neil actually wrote a song about how so many regular people pass and hardly anyone knows or cares because they were nobody's hero.

I have to take some issue here with all the talk of "We must all be respectful about this"
What then?

So hey, not everyone is going to agree with you and say RIP or whatnot. Get over it.

As for me, I don't have much feeling for Kobe either way. It was shocking at first, but after a while, it didn't matter much. I don't feel like watching all the coverage about it. I never met Kobe, didn't know him. Famous people die regularly.
Neil Peart died last week. Ric Ocassek died a few months ago. Both were my musical heroes. Sad that they passed, but I didn't have much of a reaction to it.
Neil actually wrote a song about how so many regular people pass and hardly anyone knows or cares because they were nobody's hero.

I don't think it's too much to ask to give people who are having a genuine emotional response to death a little room to process that however they need to. No one is obligated to grieve for Kobe Bryant but that doesn't mean they need to go out of their way to add to the difficult emotions others are going through. It's ok to just sit it out.

It should also come as little surprise that on a message board devoted to basketball there would be a strong response to one of its icons suddenly passing away.

What then?

Bit of an arrogant presumption, don't you think? You were okay with the rest of the post, but IMMEDIATELY playing the "evil liberal" card for no bloody reason earns an ignore. Amazing arrogance here.