What's new

Tony Jones on Chris Mannix podcast

I deeply feel all of this.

In hindsight, I think the Memphis series exposed us just as much as the Clippers series as just not being close to a championship caliber team. We were on the ropes in EVERY game that series save game 5 to a team that shouldn’t even have been in the Playoffs.

We are not winning a championship with this core and aren’t particularly close in my mind. DL will never concede that, which is why this starts with a run back this year (because he isn’t getting fired) and ends with a tear down next year after DL is fired.

The story of the Utah Jazz is allowing the good to be the enemy of the great. It’s why we are one of the winningest franchises but have no championships.
.Amen brother. Great post

Knowing we are headed to cap hell for at least one year, I’m not sure why we don’t try to make at least one high risk/reward move this offseason. The plan will already be tear it down a bit next year anyway, so why not take a plunge?

If the Jazz want a new guy in charge they should do this quick. DL and Zanik are already off to draft combine according to their exit interview.
Tony’s comments were really interesting here — basically said there were rumblings there could be changes in the FO, and that if there is going to be changes, expect them to happen VERY soon.

Goddammit, hope springs eternal. As others have posted, Battier resigned from his job recently with the Heat. Ainge just listed his Boston home for sale, suggesting he is going somewhere to do something.

Tony is the only one raising the Battier rumor, so he knows something that isn’t out in the open…. Maybe it’s Battier with Ainge serving in some consulting role…

Last edited:
Tony’s comments were really interesting here — basically said there were rumblings there could be changes in the FO, and that if there is going to be changes, expect them to happen VERY soon.

Goddammit, hope springs eternal. As others have posted, Battier resigned from his job recently with the Heat. Ainge just listed his Boston home for sale, suggesting he is going somewhere to do something.

Tony is the only one raising the Battier rumor, so he knows something that isn’t out in the open…. Maybe it’s Battier with Ainge serving in some consulting role…
Just gotta cross our fingers and hope Tony is right cuz I ain't trusting DL or Zanik with another offseason.

Tony is with the Athletics, which is known for having many reporters that are well connected within sports organizations.

The issue with Zanick and Lindsey is they’ve kinda cleared the cupboard at this point. I would not mind moving on from them, but I also hope we don’t get a couple years down the road and miss them too. Battier is an interesting thought, and yeah I haven’t heard that anywhere else, so I’d guess Tony knows something.

I can’t tell if you’re saying those players were good or bad. Jordan has been bad. Isaiah was too for most part. Elway has been a mixed bag. Had some great licks but has been bad in other ways. Not sure if Bird was GM while he was the coach or after but he was a damn good HC. Only team to push the Bulls to a game 7...that went right down to the wire.
Bird stepped down as coach, took a couple years off, then became the GM. Bird is the only person in NBA history to be named Rookie of the Year, Most Valuable Player, NBA Finals MVP, All-Star MVP, Coach of the Year, and Executive of the Year.

Last edited:
I would welcome Battier. I am 50/50 on Ainge. Reports are out that the Celtics might be in trouble with the league for not following the COVID virus rules. Jazz need some outsider who does not share the we are going to stay the course and re-sign old vets to play over our draft picks. We need a FO who is not afraid to make deals that improve the team even if it means getting rid of popular players. We need a FO who doesn't just throw in draft picks to make deals work when there is reason to do so.

Last edited: