What's new

Too much scheming and not enough athleticism or talent?

I think there are two things that get overlooked.

1. Quin's strengths were Sloan's weaknesses, but Sloan's strengths are Quin's weaknesses. One of Sloan's greatest strengths was getting his team to play HARD and RUN the schemes tightly. Sloan could NOT improvise well, adjust or draw up new plays out of a timeout. But all his teams played hard right from the jump ball. I'm sure Quin wants to treat them with respect and like adults, and that they should be responsible for getting themselves ready for game time without their coach having to resort to calling them names - he's probably right.

2. I think there is also a problem with the Jazz that has to do with our DPOY and it's one that other DPOY teams have had. In both San Antonio and GSW - they have had to challenge their guys to play defense - and not just watch KWAHI play defense, or watch Dray get into your man. The coaches have had to remind these guys to play defense - and not just watch. I see a lot of Jazz players watching Gobert. Letting their man get past them and expecting Rudy to pick them up. Rudy plays the helper - and then nobobdy comes over to help-the-helper. Jarrett Allen got more than half of his points when Gobert was guarding Kyrie Irving and the help-the-helper player who was supposed to box-out Allen had not. They stood there and watched Gobert guard Kyrie. Kyrie made the right pass - Gobert tried to switch again and guard his man - but he can't guard two players at once. Especially not when one of them is Kyrie.