What's new

Tough Day To Be In Law Enforcement

Believe she’s referring to the CRT and DM.
I wonder how the senate president’s comments landed with Flash and Spida?

In the long run, it might be interesting to see how silicon slopes changes the culture in this state? I read not too long ago how silicon slopes is forming its own lobbyist arm. Typically, tech companies promote libertarian ideals. I see that coming into conflict with the ultra conservative (white male) nanny mormon state culture we have. I see them still supporting lower taxes and deregulation. But I see some potential conflicts with women’s rights, racism, alcohol laws, education, and environmentalism.

The short answer is, yes, if you think they are a threat. In fact, **** yes, smash their ****ing face if you can, if they are threatening and carrying a gun.

Here is the problem with unbridled gun use (well, a problem, among many): once the bullets start to fly, or someone appears threatening and are holding a gun, how is anyone supposed to know who the "good guy" and who the "bad guy" is. If I saw someone running willy-nilly through the streets carrying a gun, especially if he had already started shooting, I am not going to immediately think "oh, that guy is obviously defending himself against multiple assailants, I better help him out". No, with limited knowledge of the situation you just walked into, the rational thought is "holy ****, this is an active shooter situation as we have seen and heard drilled into us time and time again, that guy it a threat!" And the rational response is to...well, it is to run away, but if you feel you can and need to help defend others, or if you are just a nihilist like me, then maybe you go in swinging hoping to bring the guy down, even if what you have available to swing is just a skateboard.

See, just like the whole problem with "arm-chair QB-ing" the police, that we cannot know what they were facing/thinking/feeling when they were in the difficult situations, the same applies here. We cannot know what these guys were all thinking. My bet is, most thought this kid with the AR was a threat, and they went at it rather than doing the rational thing and running away. Does not mean they deserve to be shot down.
This, cowboy. Shoot, shoit, shoot!

This, cowboy. Shoot, shoit, shoot!
Wow you really don't get it, do you? Try reading for comprehension and maybe context, and maybe read a few more comments in the thread. And not for confirmation bias.You obviously read one sentence, decided it means what you want it to mean, and branded the writer. Where did I say kill everyone in sight willy-nilly? Sad you have fallen this far. You used to be able to discuss stuff intellectually. You feel more and more like a right-wing caricature.

I'd pay to see this.
I actually believed at one point that franklin was hardcore and ****.

I think he's 10 years younger than me.

Same offer, headgear, gloves, controlled environment. I'm fat and have a severely ****ed up ankle. I'd fight him.

Maybe he's never really been in a fight before. I'm not trying to sound tough or anything because my last fist fight was in like '93, but I've been in around 16 or so fist fights with people who were not family or friends. If you include family and friends I've been in about 16 more. I have a significant loosing record against family and friends. Maybe I've won 3 or 4 of those. I've lost 2 fights against non family or friends. He's not my friend atm.

People have seen me, including franklin. I'm no intimidating specimen. To be fair he's no taller than me and he's fairly thin. I get it. But he has presented himself like he's scrappy and tough and well worn.

He obviously knows he'd lose. I'd do this and I'd do it in front of all jazzfanz.

It's a standing offer.

Same offer, headgear, gloves, controlled environment. I'm fat and have a severely ****ed up ankle. I'd fight him.

Maybe he's never really been in a fight before. I'm not trying to sound tough or anything because my last fist fight was in like '93, but I've been in around 16 or so fist fights with people who were not family or friends. If you include family and friends I've been in about 16 more. I have a significant loosing record against family and friends. Maybe I've won 3 or 4 of those. I've lost 2 fights against non family or friends. He's not my friend atm.

People have seen me, including franklin. I'm no intimidating specimen. To be fair he's no taller than me and he's fairly thin. I get it. But he has presented himself like he's scrappy and tough and well worn.

He obviously knows he'd lose. I'd do this and I'd do it in front of all jazzfanz.

It's a standing offer.

Could be a new thing on Jazzfanz, i'll fight that communist bastard Big Bird on the under card. Jazzfanz bum fights coming soon!

My son is going to graduate the police academy this fall. This stuff makes me nervous

Man I can't imagine what it must be like to be a cop in the US. Ive been working in security 20 years, had two guns pulled on me in that time. I would imagine that if I was doing what I do in the states I'd have likely been shot by now or had to shoot someone.

Then look at the pay, im a government employee, my job in the US would likely be some sort of police role but im on nearly 2.5 times the pay a cop in the us gets. Whats a rookie cop get 32k? **** that. Last year was my worst year in terms of pay and I still made over 70k. Most years I make 80+ US.

The fear factor these poor bastards must live with is huge.

It's a standing offer.
Rudy, is this you?

Man I can't imagine what it must be like to be a cop in the US. Ive been working in security 20 years, had two guns pulled on me in that time. I would imagine that if I was doing what I do in the states I'd have likely been shot by now or had to shoot someone.

Then look at the pay, im a government employee, my job in the US would likely be some sort of police role but im on nearly 2.5 times the pay a cop in the us gets. Whats a rookie cop get 32k? **** that. Last year was my worst year in terms of pay and I still made over 70k. Most years I make 80+ US.
The police where I live make more than that.

It also has less crime than Melbourne.

Yeah we talk about police salaries being low, and believe me I still think they need to be paid more, as it's a difficult and thankless job, but they are definitely not living in poverty. Most cops I know are doing very well.

Dude I've been to San Diego its a ********. **** that piss poor online survey off.

Dude I've been to San Diego its a ********. **** that piss poor online survey off.
Sorry you had a bad time. San Diego does its best to be friendly. Even our sharks are super chill and never bite people.

...and coming from Utah I was accustomed to being surrounded by beautiful scenery but in moving to San Diego for university (Go Aztecs!) it kicked up a notch. The hottest girl in all of Australia would just be another girl in San Diego.

Yeah we talk about police salaries being low, and believe me I still think they need to be paid more, as it's a difficult and thankless job, but they are definitely not living in poverty. Most cops I know are doing very well.
Most cops are able to do their full time jobs and double dip to do well-paid other security jobs. Cops do better than most public employees I know. Especially since they don’t require college education, unlike many other similarly compensated public sector professions. And I don’t want to hear them whine, a lot of public sector jobs right now suck. Try being a mayor or a teacher with all the crazy people blowing up city council meetings and school board meetings with conspiracies.

I honestly believe one problem we have in our democracy is the blind worship we make of law enforcement and the armed services. We’re creating a special class of citizen. One that has all the weapons and doesn’t have any accountability and the other being the wussy citizenry. When the protected class that we worship tramples the wussy citizenry, we shouldn’t act surprised. Why shouldn’t they feel better than the rest of us? They're worshipped everywhere and given benefits everywhere. Their unions are the most powerful in the country.

Law enforcement has the most power in our country and the least amount of accountability.

That’s not good. Is there another democracy that operates the same? We’re supposed to have a citizen soldier, not a special class of gladiators who can then leave the military and make a profession of law enforcement.

I just saw that the officer who killed Dante Wright was found guilty of manslaughter for shooting him with her gun instead of a taser.

I admit, I hadn’t paid attention to this at all. I have no idea whether he’s black or white. Yet I was not surprised that it happened in Minneapolis (same place as George Floyd) and it was over… expired registration.

Which brings up the main question asked almost two years ago: do we really need the police to handle these situations?

Broken taillights, expired registration, giving someone a counterfeit $20, I mean seriously??? Is that really worth their salary? Is it really worth risking escalation like we just saw with Dante Wright or George Floyd? Can’t expired registration be handled differently?

Earlier this year my wife let her car registration expire. Nothing malignant, she forgot about it. When she went to get her oil changed, the mechanic let her know that her registration had expired. No guns were needed. Didn't need cops. She paid to have the registration done there and we got the sticker. In 15 mins the issue was resolved and no one died from it.

It’s almost 2022, why are the police still wasting time with stupid issues like taillights and expired stickers?

Last edited:
I just saw that the officer who killed Dante Wright was found guilty of manslaughter for shooting him with her gun instead of a taser.

I admit, I hadn’t paid attention to this at all. I have no idea whether he’s black or white. Yet I was not surprised that it happened in Minneapolis (same place as George Floyd) and it was over… expired registration.

Which brings up the main question asked almost two years ago: do we really need the police to handle these situations?

Broken taillights, expired registration, giving someone a counterfeit $20, I mean seriously??? Is that really worth their salary? Is it really worth risking escalation like we just saw with Dante Wright or George Floyd? Can’t expired registration be handled differently?

Earlier this year my wife let her car registration expire. Nothing malignant, she forgot about it. When she went to get her oil changed, the mechanic let her know that her registration had expired. No guns were needed. Didn't need cops. She paid to have the registration done there and we got the sticker. In 15 mins the issue was resolved and no one died from it.

It’s almost 2022, why are the police still wasting time with stupid issues like taillights and expired stickers?
A huge portion of traffic stops are not done because they are interested in the actual reason/justification for the stop. They pull people over and then go fishing for bigger charges.

I highly encourage everyone, when you've been pulled over by police to first be polite and calm. Second, politely decline to answer questions. If they ask if you know why you've been pulled over just say "I'd prefer not to answer any questions officer," If they ask where you're going, "I'd prefer not to answer any questions officer." Have you been drinking? Do you have any drugs or weapons in the vehicle? Simply indicate that you aren't answering any questions. If they ask for you to voluntarily let them search your vehicle "I do not consent to searches."

Now if that pisses them off, that's okay. Be polite and be calm. If they tell you to get out of the vehicle, do it. If they search you or your car without consent, let them.

If they are taking more time than necessary to deal with the initial justification for the stop ask them if you're free to go and indicate that you'd like to be on your way.

The police need reasonable articulable suspicion to detain you for something other than the initial reason for the traffic stop. If they detain you anyway then it is very likely that anything they charge you with will be dismissed based on the legality of their actions. Let the police violate their policies and the law. Don't fight with them or resist them or get in an argument with them over their actions.

After the encounter is over file a complaint with their department if they acted inappropriately. File a FOIA request for all bodycam, dashcam footage from the encounter. If they violated your rights or assaulted you contact a lawyer and determine if a lawsuit should be filed.

You have every right to remain silent. Your silence cannot be used as justification to escalate the encounter. If they use your silence against you then nothing they charge you with will stick. There is nothing at all to be gained by answering their questions. Their questions are not polite social interactions, they are investigatory tools they are using to provide the justification for them to escalate the investigation. You are being investigated every second of a traffic stop. Nothing you say will be used for your benefit. It might seem like an uncomfortable way to deal with the police, but it is the right way.

A huge portion of traffic stops are not done because they are interested in the actual reason/justification for the stop. They pull people over and then go fishing for bigger charges.

I highly encourage everyone, when you've been pulled over by police to first be polite and calm. Second, politely decline to answer questions. If they ask if you know why you've been pulled over just say "I'd prefer not to answer any questions officer," If they ask where you're going, "I'd prefer not to answer any questions officer." Have you been drinking? Do you have any drugs or weapons in the vehicle? Simply indicate that you aren't answering any questions. If they ask for you to voluntarily let them search your vehicle "I do not consent to searches."

Now if that pisses them off, that's okay. Be polite and be calm. If they tell you to get out of the vehicle, do it. If they search you or your car without consent, let them.

If they are taking more time than necessary to deal with the initial justification for the stop ask them if you're free to go and indicate that you'd like to be on your way.

The police need reasonable articulable suspicion to detain you for something other than the initial reason for the traffic stop. If they detain you anyway then it is very likely that anything they charge you with will be dismissed based on the legality of their actions. Let the police violate their policies and the law. Don't fight with them or resist them or get in an argument with them over their actions.

After the encounter is over file a complaint with their department if they acted inappropriately. File a FOIA request for all bodycam, dashcam footage from the encounter. If they violated your rights or assaulted you contact a lawyer and determine if a lawsuit should be filed.

You have every right to remain silent. Your silence cannot be used as justification to escalate the encounter. If they use your silence against you then nothing they charge you with will stick. There is nothing at all to be gained by answering their questions. Their questions are not polite social interactions, they are investigatory tools they are using to provide the justification for them to escalate the investigation. You are being investigated every second of a traffic stop. Nothing you say will be used for your benefit. It might seem like an uncomfortable way to deal with the police, but it is the right way.
I get this but if im pulled over for speeding or something and i haven't been drinking or doing drugs and have nothing illegal in my vehicle then i will simply answer their questions and allow them to search whatever they want. Maybe they even let me off with a warning and I dont receive a speeding ticket.

I get this but if im pulled over for speeding or something and i haven't been drinking or doing drugs and have nothing illegal in my vehicle then i will simply answer their questions and allow them to search whatever they want. Maybe they even let me off with a warning and I dont receive a speeding ticket.
Yeah I mean my advice is not about getting away with committing crimes, it's about not providing an opening that allows to police to create something that doesn't exist, either intentionally or unintentionally.

And I really, really don't understand consenting to searches. All you have to do is say "I don't consent to searches." By submitting you are normalizing their expectation that they can search anyone's car anytime they want to and that refusing to allow a search is suspicious.

If you know any lawyers ask them if you should just freely answer police questions and allow them to search whatever they want. I know what lawyers (legal experts) say about this.

The police use these tactics to target certain people based on their own biased perspectives. It is an abuse and it results in deaths.