What's new

Tough Day To Be In Law Enforcement

I would encourage those conversing today to talk about the issue of systemic racism, a corrupt criminal justice system, and what you have learned from people of color over the last few days.

TBH, I don’t really care what any of the white people here think about the riots, protests, or race. Honestly, your opinions don’t matter right now. Whatever minutia you’re trying to argue is taking away from the voices of black and brown people.

What have your black and brown friends and family been telling you? Have you asked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll listen to damn near anybody, but 110% behind folks reaching out to communicate with the people that these issues actually effect? (affect? I've never known)

I'm going to try one more time.

The concept of 'prop' being used here is in reference to a stage prop. It is something outside of yourself that you use for theatrical effect. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatrical_property

The priest is religious. You can not use a part of yourself (your hand or your religious nature) as a prop - it goes against the definition of the word prop.

You could argue that the either the priest is not religious and also using religion as a prop (dubious) or Trump is religious (I don't buy it, but more believable) and neither were using a prop.
One more time? I think this is your first time.
I agree with what you're saying for the most part (religions do use props too.) "Both religion and theatre often share a common understanding that truth cannot be contained solely within literal facts: we need creative images in order to catch a fleeting glimpse of reality."

My first initial thought after reading the priest's tweet was this.
Priest: religion is not a political tool.
Priest: Uses religion as a political tool.

Thanks for sharing.

I would encourage those conversing today to talk about the issue of systemic racism, a corrupt criminal justice system, and what you have learned from people of color over the last few days.

TBH, I don’t really care what any of the white people here think about the riots, protests, or race. Honestly, your opinions don’t matter right now. Whatever minutia you’re trying to argue is taking away from the voices of black and brown people.

What have your black and brown friends and family been telling you? Have you asked?

"Conversation accomplishes more than bricks and looting every day. I’m not going to allow them to make a narrative out of that."

Pissed. Angry. Not for the looting or riots. In fact one of them and his other friends in the town in which he lives (which is where I teach and where he grew up and is also an educator) want to be sure to be vigilant in stopping anyone who tries to instigate as he will be heading up a rally there over the next week. Decent sized town. 70,000 people. He’ll 100% be for peace but he won’t mince words either. Guy is probably one of the top 3-5 brightest, sharpest people I know. Insanely quick (thinking), well-rounded in his breadth of knowledge, and just a good ****ing dude.

FWIW I ran into my black neighbor after work last night when I got home. We met at the fence, all suburban-cliche-style, and shot the **** for a half hour. He told me, in no uncertain terms, to stay home and keep out of it all, for my protection. His opinion is that none of this will do any good anywhere in any way. And he has some pretty crazy cop stories of his own, that are just mind-boggling.

To bring up another, I have told the story here before of going to lunch with my boss, the Sr. VP, who is a black man. He tends to take casual Fridays to an extreme, and this one Friday he was wearing a worn t-shirt and pants with holes in them. I was in my normal khakis and polo shirt with the company logo on it. We drove to restaurant in his Lexus SUV, parked on the street, and walked past a few cops standing around a cop car. They nodded at me, as I was ahead of him because he forgot his phone or something, and I thought nothing of it. I got to the restaurant and turned around to see him with his wallet out and with 2 cops standing in front of him. He then put his wallet away and caught up to me. I asked about it and he more or less said "par for the course".

I spoke to him yesterday as well about the riots and he shared largely the same opinion, that when this all blows over he will still get stopped for "walking down the street while black" just like it has always been.

Not a lot of hope here.

Don’t feel like going back but didn’t you say it was a prop.

*per se
In my response to you I wrote down all the points he made in the tweet so I could respond to them (I can't see the tweet once I quote it.) I wrote, "The bible is not a prop." Merely for reference. I never said anything else on that.

Sacred religious texts aren't props, guys.

Unless it's the Book of Mormon, right? Lol

Pissed. Angry. Not for the looting or riots. In fact one of them and his other friends in the town in which he lives (which is where I teach and where he grew up and is also an educator) want to be sure to be vigilant in stopping anyone who tries to instigate as he will be heading up a rally there over the next week. Decent sized town. 70,000 people. He’ll 100% be for peace but he won’t mince words either. Guy is probably one of the top 3-5 brightest, sharpest people I know. Insanely quick (thinking), well-rounded in his breadth of knowledge, and just a good ****ing dude.

Thanks for sharing. Good to hear people helping in the right way.

FWIW I ran into my black neighbor after work last night when I got home. We met at the fence, all suburban-cliche-style, and shot the **** for a half hour. He told me, in no uncertain terms, to stay home and keep out of it all, for my protection. His opinion is that none of this will do any good anywhere in any way. And he has some pretty crazy cop stories of his own, that are just mind-boggling.

To bring up another, I have told the story here before of going to lunch with my boss, the Sr. VP, who is a black man. He tends to take casual Fridays to an extreme, and this one Friday he was wearing a worn t-shirt and pants with holes in them. I was in my normal khakis and polo shirt with the company logo on it. We drove to restaurant in his Lexus SUV, parked on the street, and walked past a few cops standing around a cop car. They nodded at me, as I was ahead of him because he forgot his phone or something, and I thought nothing of it. I got to the restaurant and turned around to see him with his wallet out and with 2 cops standing in front of him. He then put his wallet away and caught up to me. I asked about it and he more or less said "par for the course".

I spoke to him yesterday as well about the riots and he shared largely the same opinion, that when this all blows over he will still get stopped for "walking down the street while black" just like it has always been.

Not a lot of hope here.

Yep. Listen, cops will use any of this rioting and looting, consciously or not, as a judgment of blacks. From day one, I wish not one black person had participated in any such nonsense. Cops would have no such ******** to fall back on and would have to listen then. Have to. Now, with all the craziness, it’s just going to be worse imo.

And I support cops too ftr. I’m sure the far majority are excellent and over the last week just doing their job as instructed. Most of us, myself included, can’t imagine the stress of the job, especially in what must feel like life threatening times.

Thanks for sharing. Good to hear people helping in the right way.

My only fear with him, and I mean only, is that he can at times come across as somewhat excitable. Has a sort of semi-tic too.

Yep. Listen, cops will use any of this rioting and looting, consciously or not, as a judgment of blacks.

That's just unrealistic. Racist people need no support for their racism. When white people over-threw a democratically elected government in North Carolina in the 1890s, there was no judgement of white people from cops. The many race riots of the late 1910s-early 1920s never caused cops to judge white people. Burning couches near the University of Dayton in the 1980s never caused cops to judge white people.

I could go on for a hundred examples.

Just thinking of religion and all with the talk of that priest and my friend who’s such a good dude (yet maniac too) and I think of fish.

@fishonjazz

If there’s a heaven, which I personally don’t think there is, you’re going there.

You embody Christianity more than just about anyone and everyone I know. Maybe @colton too. But he posts less and I therefore don’t “know” him as well.

Last edited:
That's just unrealistic. Racist people need no support for their racism. When white people over-threw a democratically elected government in North Carolina in the 1890s, there was no judgement of white people from cops. The many race riots of the late 1910s-early 1920s never caused cops to judge white people.

What are you saying is unrealistic?

"Conversation accomplishes more than bricks and looting every day. I’m not going to allow them to make a narrative out of that."

Not your job dude. What you’re doing, unintentionally I know, is delegitimization those that stand against what our gov is doing to black people and those supporting them right now. Not the most virtuous fight my man. Maybe focus on listening and doing real research, not just posting videos without researching context, source, and audience. You’ve been burned a few times already.

That the judgment by police has anything at all to do with whether some black people are rioting.

Our prejudices are developed through how we’re raised no doubt but also through our life experiences. Some cops will forget the 5,000 peaceful protestors and refer to the 10 who were looting as a definition of the race.

Last edited:
Our prejudices are developed through how we’re raised no doubt but also through our life experiences. Some cops will forget the 5,000 peaceful protestors and refer to the 10 who were looting as a definition of the race.

Well, since the contradiction to "some" would be none, sure. Will that number exceed single digits? I doubt it.