What's new

Trade Confirmed: Jazz get jack for Bogey

The line is at 23.5? If Beasley, Markkanen, Sexton, Conley, and Clarkston all stay on the roster; then that would probably be a little low. Danny will have to throw a few more away for nothing first.
I think danny still going to throw a few more away for nothing.

I also would have thought Bogey would be a good enough chip to rid ourselves of Rudy Gay... if we had a roster spot to give him without dumping a young player I'd just hold on to him... but now he hurts the cap and roster space.

Would you guys do Mike, JC, Gay, Doke or JB for Westbrook straight up... no picks? It actually saves them a bunch of cash... alleviates our roster crunch and is like a 5-10 game swing in the win/loss column for us.
I would do it. Tank Note

I think the big take away here is that teams are probably done trading first round picks. If Bojan could have netted an unprotected pick we would have done that. What was likely out there was protected picks where we take back bad salary. Danny and OKC have destroyed the unprotected picks market. It is likely done for a while going forward.

The next thing will be good players on even better contracts. In that reality expiring contracts aren't going to be worth what they once were. How many big free agent signings happen each year? Like one and if things get crazy, two.

Nonetheless, what we thought was available for Bojan was not available. I kinda wonder what that reality looks like throughout the coming few years. There is a good chance that the overall haul we got for our players will not be possible again for a while. Glad we got the last seat on the bus.

I guess the good part is that if things go sideways for Minny or Cleveland they probably won't be able to sell stuff to right themselves as easily.

I think the big take away here is that teams are probably done trading first round picks. If Bojan could have netted an unprotected pick we would have done that. What was likely out there was protected picks where we take back bad salary. Danny and OKC have destroyed the unprotected picks market. It is likely done for a while going forward.

The next thing will be good players on even better contracts. In that reality expiring contracts aren't going to be worth what they once were. How many big free agent signings happen each year? Like one and if things get crazy, two.

Nonetheless, what we thought was available for Bojan was not available. I kinda wonder what that reality looks like throughout the coming few years. There is a good chance that the overall haul we got for our players will not be possible again for a while. Glad we got the last seat on the bus.
Andy said there were deals for firsts but would have required taking on salary. The timing kind of screwed us. I think there is some truth that the 1rp market has been raided. I also think the far out firsts we got and that have been handed out the last couple years will start to look even more crazy... it was one of the reasons I wanted to rebuild now.

I still think there is a Lakers deal to discuss... Mike, JC, Gay for Westbrook straight up.... Mike, JC, Vando for Westbrook and a 1st.

One of JC or Mike needs to go before the season.

Let it go. Without picks they can choke on Westbrook. They aren't giving up any picks.
Well if we do the non-picks deal we don't have to cut 3 of Gay, JB, Doke, Johnson, Lee... and we end up with like $40M+ in space next year. Them choking on Westbrook is fine. Us not really having cap space and being the 6th or 7th worst team instead of bottom 3-4 is ****** regardless of what is happening in LA.

Sounds like this trade was a real dumper. Made with mostly money concerns. Cool… that’s so exciting. Wake me up once this team gets decent uniforms again, has a good tv deal, and has a decent roster. Until then? I’m not sure how emotionally invested I’ll be in this smoldering crater of a franchise. This really does feel like we’re back to the post Dwill/Cbooz/Memo and Ty Corbin days.

Good attitude to have imo.
People are over reacting way too much. We are pretty much set for the tank. Just have to dump the vets, and at this point we just need to get rid of them so we can develop our youth, and be in good position for a high lotto pick.

I'm cool with keeping JC or Conley for mentorship though. Mike mentoring Collin for 1/2 season-1 season could pay dividends, then hand the keys over to Collin full fledge

If I had to guess I would say that Coach Hardy requested that we actually carry an NBA center into the season, at least one. He is a pretty important part of what we want to do going forward. It seems we have been fumbling around trying to fulfill that request.

Sounds like this trade was a real dumper. Made with mostly money concerns. Cool… that’s so exciting. Wake me up once this team gets decent uniforms again, has a good tv deal, and has a decent roster. Until then? I’m not sure how emotionally invested I’ll be in this smoldering crater of a franchise. This really does feel like we’re back to the post Dwill/Cbooz/Memo and Ty Corbin days.

The difference is this time we have a **** ton of assets and one of the very best GMs (or CEO of Basketball Operations, or whatever the **** his title is) in the league running the show. It's going to be a rough two or three years, but this is by far the best position we've been in to build a championship team since Stockton/Malone.

People are over reacting way too much. We are pretty much set for the tank. Just have to dump the vets, and at this point we just need to get rid of them so we can develop our youth, and be in good position for a high lotto pick.

I'm cool with keeping JC or Conley for mentorship though. Mike mentoring Collin for 1/2 season-1 season could pay dividends, then hand the keys over to Collin full fledge
I mean this is cute and all but JC and Conley still around means they get like 60 minutes a night... Sexton gonna play 32ish... so you are talking 5-10 minutes available at the guard spots for development.

You can slot Ochai/Beasley in for some SF minutes... Simone too... but you quickly run into a minutes crunch with the vets still on the roster. THT getting on the floor at all? NAW? JB?

Finally... Bogey was part of the way you move the other vets... he was the most valuable in terms of trade value of the group. Replacing him with another solid vet sets us firmly in the race toward the middle of the lotto... and why did we do that? Because we wanted to save some cap space in the future.

If they follow up today's trade with a trade that gets rid of the vets then great... just accept they were in a hurry and it cost us minor assets to improve the chances of drafting high and getting dev time. If not they rushed it for no real reason... just wait... you will be with the other vets.

A bit of strange trade. Start to be bit lost with the strategy. We still are too good for full tank but not good enough to be competitive. Beeing in the middle is not the best option.
I see only 2 explanations :
- Danny value those players much more than us and still think we will be better than people expect.
- He know he will move Mike and JC before the deadline and in this case, full tank will be on schedule.
We will know soon.

If I had to guess I would say that Coach Hardy requested that we actually carry an NBA center into the season, at least one. He is a pretty important part of what we want to do going forward. It seems we have been fumbling around trying to fulfill that request.
Vando is a center on this roster. He pairs well with KO but that means Lauri is pushed to the 3... they can alleviate this a bit by bringing KO off the bench, but they had one NBA center in Vando already. Having a big hole in the roster is key to the tank.