What's new

Trade deadline discussion

I was listening to Chad Ford's podcast the other day and Jake Fisher was his guest and he said he's been told it's not a coincidence that guys like Joe and Bogey have been in trade rumors and Donovan's best friend Royce O'Neale hasn't been in any. I'm sure it's also not a coincidence that we traded for Eric Paschall, who was one of Donovan's best friends growing up. Yet we had no problem getting rid of Neto even though he was Rudy's best friend on the team.
Different ownership.

If I remember correctly Neto was making too much guaranteed money and he got shipped so the Jazz could bring in NWG who was making far less. Another strictly financial move to help the bottom line.

Great trade for the Clippers. This gives them roster depth and/or flexibility if they do want to shed a longer term contract for Kennard or Morris.

I'm surprised that Powell got so little in return. Hopefully Andy is right that this could set a limit on Smart's perceived value. Smart is a much better defender, but Powell is a much better shooter.

I do wonder if the Blazers make another move. Who could they be targeting that they could get with the $18m (essentially expiring) Bledsoe contract that they couldn't get with the $13m Covington contract. Bledsoe, Johnson, and a pick might get them Grant.

If I remember correctly Neto was making too much guaranteed money and he got shipped so the Jazz could bring in NWG who was making far less. Another strictly financial move to help the bottom line.

I don’t believe this turned out to be true. Was just ****** decision-making.

This was actually a situation where they tried to use the finances as a cover for letting Neto go. I think even Locke pushed that narrative. But here were their salaries that year:

C52BE2EC-2F0D-4E5A-A413-B9FB10D8E8AA.jpeg

A9913C0F-9C9C-49A3-BD52-2B6A7369423F.jpeg

So Neto makes $237k more that year. But the kicker is that NWG had a $1M buyout to get out of his contract in Europe:

So this wasn’t a money thing, but we publicly said it was a money thing to justify getting rid of a guy who had been here for 4 years, knew the system, and was our best player’s best friend. All so we could have a chance at developing a guy who could maybe become the next Neto (he didn’t).

What I suspect is that when a couple teams inquired about getting NWG’s rights (as had been reported), it stroked DL’s ego and I presume he must have thought that other people must be seeing something he can’t, and “of course everyone wants him, he’s my guy!” This is also at the height of “OMG DL found Rudy, DM, Royce, and Joe!” Neto was at his ceiling. But DL should have known that Neto was NWG’s ceiling.

I still feel that ideally all ******** aside from rumors regarding tension in the locker room would be for the jazz to make two trades. One to secure grant and the other to secure smart or Richardson or both.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

For some reason Im remembering that keeping Neto would have put the Jazz in the luxury tax.
No. That was a total ******** narrative pumped by the organization. I addressed it in this post:

This was actually a situation where they tried to use the finances as a cover for letting Neto go. I think even Locke pushed that narrative. But here were their salaries that year:

View attachment 11655

View attachment 11656

So Neto makes $237k more that year. But the kicker is that NWG had a $1M buyout to get out of his contract in Europe:

So this wasn’t a money thing, but we publicly said it was a money thing to justify getting rid of a guy who had been here for 4 years, knew the system, and was our best player’s best friend. All so we could have a chance at developing a guy who could maybe become the next Neto (he didn’t).

What I suspect is that when a couple teams inquired about getting NWG’s rights (as had been reported), it stroked DL’s ego and I presume he must have thought that other people must be seeing something he can’t, and “of course everyone wants him, he’s my guy!” This is also at the height of “OMG DL found Rudy, DM, Royce, and Joe!” Neto was at his ceiling. But DL should have known that Neto was NWG’s ceiling.

If Ainge has any offers for Clarkson on the table he should take best one and make the call tonight :mad::mad:

I think Clarkson is the guy that's on the block. Second unit won't play this good every night, but they are sharing the ball much better.