What's new

Trade deadline discussion

Jingled

2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
The trade deadline is still a couple of months away, Thursday February 10th, but it's never too early to talk about it. I think we all agree we could use more defense, particularly on the perimeter. I also think we could use more size, length and athleticism. My pipe dream trade targets that we likely have no way to acquire are Marcus Smart and Harrison Barnes. Not sure who some of the more realistic targets could be. I think we should try and swap JC and maybe a first round pick (if we have any left to trade) for a defender. I think our bench offense would be fine without JC and due to his extremely high usage and poor efficiency it may even improve. The Jazz front office may see Ingles as a trade candidate due to his age and the fact that he's on an expiring contract and this may be his last season.

Discuss.

The trade deadline is still a couple of months away, Thursday February 10th, but it's never too early to talk about it. I think we all agree we could use more defense, particularly on the perimeter. I also think we could use more size, length and athleticism. My pipe dream trade targets that we likely have no way to acquire are Marcus Smart and Harrison Barnes. Not sure who some of the more realistic targets could be. I think we should try and swap JC and maybe a first round pick (if we have any left to trade) for a defender. I think our bench offense would be fine without JC and due to his extremely high usage and poor efficiency it may even improve. The Jazz front office may see Ingles as a trade candidate due to his age and the fact that he's on an expiring contract and this may be his last season.

Discuss.
I mean the goal is to improve on the Bogey or JC spot. I think it is easier to upgrade the JC spot personally. Bogey and two first for Barnes? The firsts are waaaaaaay out in that scenario and those are some dangerous picks to give. Is that a big upgrade?

Swapping JC for Smart, Melton, or another defensive wing type could change things a bit but he's tricky to move. Joe doesn't get moved unless he gets hurt or we get some amazing deal that is too perfect to pass up. He either retires and we need the relief or comes back on a $5M ish type deal that is a great value. I think he's going to retire.

I'd love to throw a homer deal out there but I think it will be tough... Here is one I kinda thought about. JC is used in a lot of lineups with 2 of mike, DM or Joe.... you don't need to replace him with a guard. What if you did this type of deal:

Utah out: JC, Udoka
Utah in: Garrett Temple, Kenrich Williams

NO out: Hayes, Temple
NO in: Jordan Clarkson

OKC out: Williams
OK In: Hayes, Udoka

OKC has a bunch of space so salaries don't have to line up. NO needs offense (and defense)... they have to be getting desperate. I'd love to get Hart but JC for Hart is likely a little rich for NO.

Temple is a solid defender who can play 10 minutes a night and fill in when guys are hurt. Williams is kind of a do it all wing. Both have cost effective deals so Ryan saves some money (money that DL can reinvest in the program (sarcasm font)).

If you are going to play small ball with Rudy Gay at center you will need guys like those to make it work. Completely unsexy... I know. Just throwing a different type of deal out there.

Just going to get ahead of the suggestion and say that Robert Covington is severely overrated.
100% ... he would work better on a team that has a shut down perimeter defender already so he can disrupt stuff. The problem is he gets cooked on the perimeter and if you put him on the better players he isn't giving you the thing he is good at.

Could someone summarize our draft assets? I know they are not good (as an understatement), but I'm not clear on the specifics.

I believe our 1st rounder to Memphis will likely happen this year. How far out do we need to go before including a draft pick? I'm pretty sure we don't have any 2nd rounders either, but for how long?

Could someone summarize our draft assets? I know they are not good (as an understatement), but I'm not clear on the specifics.

I believe our 1st rounder to Memphis will likely happen this year. How far out do we need to go before including a draft pick? I'm pretty sure we don't have any 2nd rounders either, but for how long?
So here is the brief version... our pick this year goes to Memphis, our pick in 2 years from now goes to OKC in the Favs trade. We have some seconds in 31 years we can offer.

We can give a pick out in 2026 but it will need to have limited protections that correspond with the other picks we owe. Basically if we trade a first it is a long ways out and likely unprotected... so it better be a hell of an upgrade. Of course the AI robots, global warming, aliens, pandemics, nuclear holocaust are all likely to happen in the next 6-12 months so why the hell not trade that pick.

So here is the brief version... our pick this year goes to Memphis, our pick in 2 years from now goes to OKC in the Favs trade. We have some seconds in 31 years we can offer.

We can give a pick out in 2026 but it will need to have limited protections that correspond with the other picks we owe. Basically if we trade a first it is a long ways out and likely unprotected... so it better be a hell of an upgrade. Of course the AI robots, global warming, aliens, pandemics, nuclear holocaust are all likely to happen in the next 6-12 months so why the hell not trade that pick.
I thought we traded two seconds in the Favs deal?

Just going to get ahead of the suggestion and say that Robert Covington is severely overrated.

Agreed. I used to be really high on him but he's really gone downhill the past couple of years. On the other hand his trade value is probably at an all time low and he's still just 30 years old. Maybe Quin could rejuvenate his career?

Last edited:
I’m other words, we have the absolutest crumbs when it comes to darft assets.

I knew we should've traded JC in the offseason when his value was at an all time high.

I knew we should've traded JC in the offseason when his value was at an all time high.
I do think JC provides some helpful regular season injury insurance for Mike, Joe, and Don... in addition to his streaky scoring. I'm not sure his value is way down. It would have been easier to move him in the summer but I think he'd still be considered as a positive trade chip to many teams. Its tricky finding teams trying to win that are willing to trade veterans to you.

Ingles or Royce for Christian Wood
Maybe they don’t block our number if the offer is more like Butler, Paschall, two 2nds, and their choice of JC, Ingles, or Bogey (have to match salary).

I’d rather offer that for Harrison Barnes, though.

This is basically the kitchen-sink offer, right?

I’m other words, we have the absolutest crumbs when it comes to darft assets.
Correct. We need a PJ Tucker style deal from last year. He was traded for a first round pick... but not really because it was a swap of a first for a second and equated to dropping down the draft like 7 spots.

Can we get a 2nd for Whiteside?

I’m not itching to ditch, but I am itching to cobble together assets to round out the team better.