What's new

Trade for Jerami Grant

LoPo

Hey fellas. Been a while. I really like our current team which is why I haven't proposed any deals this year, but I do think we will eventually meet our demise to a "superstar" team whenever we face them. Could be either LA, Brooklyn or maybe even Denver again. Our lack of perimeter defense is our Achilles heal. We have too much going for us to miss the opportunity to put all our chips in as they say.

I think Jerami Grant is available. He's a player in his prime who is playing on a team that's at least 2 or 3 years away. Detroit would be stupid to pass on a number of 1st rounders if given the chance. And here is the league chatter right now on the subject of Detroit trading Grant:

To Phoenix: https://www.inquisitr.com/6485257/nba-rumors-suns-could-acquire-jerami-grant-for-three-players-two

To Miami: https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2021/03/17/nba-rumors-miami-heat-detroit-pistons-trade-jerami-grant/

To Boston: https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketb...linked-boston-celtics-nba-trade-deadline-2021

We would need a 3rd team that has interest in Bogey. I automatically think of New York, Atlanta or Charlotte.

Utah gets: Grant
Team #3 gets: Bogey
Detroit gets: 2 Utah 1sts, and some asset(s) from Team #3 (and Udoka, Oni and/or Hughes too if they get the job done)

If we want our best chance to win a title, go get Jerami Grant. I like Bogey a lot, but Grant gives us the best team in the NBA. Our first rounders can be so far in the distance and unprotected that Detroit thinks they will have eventual gold from them (which they could if we were to fall apart). Grant, Don and Rudy could be a dynasty for the next 5 years.

Defend or score on this playoff rotation
Don
Conley
Royce
Grant
Rudy
Jingles
Clarkson
Favors

I like it. But it’s more of a wet dream. Due to Bogey’s stock being way down right now. I don’t think a team would give peanuts for how bad he is playing unfortunately

I agree. It's extremely unlikely. The hope is that a team like Atlanta, New York or Charlotte would be so desperate for relevance that they would want to add Bogey.

Maybe Detroit would want somebody like Knox from NY and NY would probably make that switch since they are trying to make the playoffs for the first time in a while.

With Grant, we are an amazing team. We gotta at least try. In the meantime, we need for Bogey to have a big game.

I'm not out on Bogey. The Jazz dont seem to be either. His post game still looks good and the three will pick up.

Grant could be great but I dont think we have what it take to get him. We are not trading The Don or Stifle Tower. Pistons wont want Bogey and our firsts are looking to be pretty high picks in the next few years.

Aroan Gordon could be interesting, but losing Bogeys 3pt shooting could unravel our offense.

Personally I think we should wait. Just because we are having a period of struggle doesnt mean we wont return to form. Our players are human and there has been alot of controversy lately. I imagine that's on their minds. I will bet that they bounce back like an inferno sooner then later.

I'm not out on Bogey. The Jazz dont seem to be either. His post game still looks good and the three will pick up.

Grant could be great but I dont think we have what it take to get him. We are not trading The Don or Stifle Tower. Pistons wont want Bogey and our firsts are looking to be pretty high picks in the next few years.

Aroan Gordon could be interesting, but losing Bogeys 3pt shooting could unravel our offense.

Personally I think we should wait. Just because we are having a period of struggle doesnt mean we wont return to form. Our players are human and there has been alot of controversy lately. I imagine that's on their minds. I will bet that they bounce back like an inferno sooner then later.

Good post.

I'm not out on Bogey as much as high on Grant. He checks more boxes of what we need than Bogey.

I don't think Detroit wants Bogey at all, but there is a market for him. It would take that 3rd team who really wants Bogey.

I fully expect us to continue to play good basketball. I just think we might need more perimeter defense come playoff time. I won't be disappointed if we don't get Grant. This is just striking if the opportunity presents itself.

If we could trade to get Grant somehow that pushes us over the top, imo, almost no matter what we give up. He has come into his own and is performing very well in a bad situation. Give him a better one as a starter on a stronger team and I think it changes everything, for him and us. We would be in instant contention. I would give up anyone not named Ingles, Gobert, or Clarkson.

Look at the struggles Denver has had and really the only big change they had was they lost Grant.

And of course Niang, we can never give up Niang. No ****ing way!

You would give up Mitchel? That's crazy. He's a proven #1 option on a already contending team. Dont through the baby out with the bathwater.

You would give up Mitchel? That's crazy. He's a proven #1 option on a already contending team. Dont through the baby out with the bathwater.
He and Conley are redundant, and Grant will replace much if not all of his scoring, while also being 3X the defensive player Mitchell is. That is a net gain. Periodt.

I suspect that Grant is perfectly happy in Detroit. He didn't like his role in Denver. If he doesn't want to play second fiddle to Jokic and Murray I am not sure he would like to be behind Donovan and Rudy. I am not sure the chemistry would work great.

I suspect that Grant is perfectly happy in Detroit. He didn't like his role in Denver. If he doesn't want to play second fiddle to Jokic and Murray I am not sure he would like to be behind Donovan and Rudy. I am not sure the chemistry would work great.
I don't know. Royce, Rudy, and Joe are all pass first guys. They aren't ball dominant. Don can be, but he also defers a lot. Conley has deferred more this year than he has in the past.

Bogey gets to see the ball a lot. Grant would be in that role and then some. Also, Conley and Jingles will see less and less of the ball as they age.

I see Grant being the #2 option.

But this is highly unlikely. He would complete us though.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

Grant would take a whole lot of assets. People hating on Bogey but will be praising him in the playoffs when he hits a three over LeBron while also kneeing him in the nuts.

What about bogie or favors and draft capital to the cavs for nance and jarret Allen?

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

"Why go after Grant or Wood when you can have Bogey and Favs?"

-Dennis Lindsey
Yikes. None of those players were gettable.

1) Grant wasn't a free agent when we had cap space in the summer of Bogie/Conley.
2) Trade for him the year before to get his bird rights? Sure. Denver will definitely trade him to his biggest division rival
3) Wood? What make you think a big man looking for playing time and a bigger role would choose Utah?. This is not NBA 2K. Of course he would go to the Rockets, they had the money and the best role possible (they didn't even have a C on the roster)

Yikes. None of those players were gettable.

1) Grant wasn't a free agent when we had cap space in the summer of Bogie/Conley.
2) Trade for him the year before to get his bird rights? Sure. Denver will definitely trade him to his biggest division rival
3) Wood? What make you think a big man looking for playing time and a bigger role would choose Utah?. This is not NBA 2K. Of course he would go to the Rockets, they had the money and the best role possible (they didn't even have a C on the roster)
1) Grant was acquired by Denver in the same summer when Bogey/Conley were signed. Denver didn't get to keep him of course, but that's saved for another story. All I know is that they made it all the way to the WCF with him playing a major role. Now imagine having Grant on our team during that Denver series instead of the other way around. Everyone here would love to see a trip to the WCF, no?

2) Denver won't trade him to the biggest division rival. Sure. But OKC will, and they did.

3) That's why I said Grant OR Wood. If we chose to spend the money on Grant then of course Wood will probably be out of our reach, and vice versa. But having one of them on the roster is bigger than having both Bogey/Favors, who didn't play a single minute for us in the playoffs last season and will have much reduced role this year due to their age and conditioning. And lesser role next year. Lesser role in 2023. You get the idea.

And guess what? Grant/Wood will get the "bigger role" they desired on this Jazz team because you know? No Bojan or Favors on this team means over 40 min worth of PT as well as the Jazz's starting 4 spot is now available. And on average just how many shots does Bogey get to take in a game for us again?

Why would Wood or Grant settle for PT time/big role on a losing team when they can have PT time/big role on a winning one?

Last edited:
Grant didn't have the role he wanted in Denver because Denver had enough offensive talents on their team.

That was not the case here.

In summer 2019 before the Bogey signing and the Conley trade, our second best option on offense was Rubio.

So if anything, Grant can take on Bogey's role on offensive WHILE playing respectable defense. And with Bogie and Favors's money off the book, we have enough cap space to work out a contract extension with him last offseason.

But DL was fixated on Mirotic/Bogey/Portis so Grant was never a part of the conversation, so Denver got him from OKC and went on a trip to the WCF.