What's new

Trade idea: Covington to Utah

I think they would do 12 and cap fodder for 24 and covington. He only has one year left on his deal and has been in Philly hell his whole career... doubt he wants to stay.

I'm not 100% sure I'd do it... It is so hard to measure players on teams that bad. He could look much better playing next to good players. iirc he makes a lot of contested 3s... I wonder if he'd shoot 40% if someone actually got him open looks. I also didn't watch him enough to see how good of a defender he is.

From the looks of the potential Atlanta deal he might be included with Noel for Teague... seems like a pretty big overpay to me. i would be in constant conversation with them... they need to reconfigure the roster and look poised to give out some pretty good value in a trade.

I think they would do 12 and cap fodder for 24 and covington. He only has one year left on his deal and has been in Philly hell his whole career... doubt he wants to stay.

I'm not 100% sure I'd do it... It is so hard to measure players on teams that bad. He could look much better playing next to good players. iirc he makes a lot of contested 3s... I wonder if he'd shoot 40% if someone actually got him open looks. I also didn't watch him enough to see how good of a defender he is.

From the looks of the potential Atlanta deal he might be included with Noel for Teague... seems like a pretty big overpay to me. i would be in constant conversation with them... they need to reconfigure the roster and look poised to give out some pretty good value in a trade.
Why wouldn't he want to stay? Without Philly this dude would have no career. Not saying he owes them, but why would he want to leave when they are a) finally starting to turn the corner from a personnel standpoint and b) have a boatload of cash to pay him.

Dude has been making NBA chump change, he just wants to get paid. Going to Utah wouldn't let him get as many stats.

0 chance he is in Atlanta deal.
Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Why wouldn't he want to stay? Without Philly this dude would have no career. Not saying he owes them, but why would he want to leave when they are a) finally starting to turn the corner from a personnel standpoint and b) have a boatload of cash to pay him.

Dude has been making NBA chump change, he just wants to get paid. Going to Utah wouldn't let him get as many stats.

Because these guys are ultra-competitive and its a long season when you are losing a ton of games... regardless of how much cash you are earning.

He'd stay if they were the highest bidder and he'd be restricted so they'd control him. You can say there is zero chance he's in that deal, but people in-the-know reported he's in the discussion.

That said... Atlanta trade rumors always seem a bit ambitious, so maybe they spew this stuff to raise the perceived value of their guys.

Also, playing meaningful rotation minutes for a good team would inspire more confidence than racking up stats on a **** team. I thin he'd make more money while getting less stats (although I think he'd get plenty of playing time here).

There are actually two years left on Covington's deal which changes things for me... I'd do 12+Burke for 24/26/Covington on draft night depending on if someone fell. If it was Luwawu or Skal left at 12 I'd probably even go 12 and Burke for Covington and 24.

I don't think Phillly would do it for reasons Cy mentioned and I think we'd have to tweak it.

Covington and 24 for Burke, Pleiss and 12.

We would only get one of their 1sts and not swap 2nds but we would dump two ****heads.

Yeah dude, giving them another big is what will change the tide of this deal. Brilliant.

There are actually two years left on Covington's deal which changes things for me... I'd do 12+Burke for 24/26/Covington on draft night depending on if someone fell. If it was Luwawu or Skal left at 12 I'd probably even go 12 and Burke for Covington and 24.

Uhh, you cant really do the deal after the 12th pick is done. Phillly would want to decide who we get with the 12th pick, not wait for us to see who falls then give them who we picked, unless both teams happen to like the exact same person at 12.

Also, playing meaningful rotation minutes for a good team would inspire more confidence than racking up stats on a **** team. I thin he'd make more money while getting less stats (although I think he'd get plenty of playing time here).

I disagree.

1. Philly will be a respectable team this year and he will get a lot of minutse
2. He would get 10-15 minutes on Utah, that isnt enough to really earn a major contract.

Uhh, you cant really do the deal after the 12th pick is done. Phillly would want to decide who we get with the 12th pick, not wait for us to see who falls then give them who we picked, unless both teams happen to like the exact same person at 12.

We wouldn't make the pick until we agreed and knew who they wanted... It literally happens every year. I would want to see if someone fell first.

I disagree.

1. Philly will be a respectable team this year and he will get a lot of minutse
2. He would get 10-15 minutes on Utah, that isnt enough to really earn a major contract.

1- may be true... Need to see what happens in free agency.
2- he'd get more than that. He can play 3 and small ball 4. There are always injuries as well.

Ingles played 15 minutes a night, Johnson 12, Booker 20... I know you can't really stack minutes they way they actually play out in the game, but he'd get at least 20 minutes a night maybe more. He was about 28 minutes a night this year.

1- may be true... Need to see what happens in free agency.
2- he'd get more than that. He can play 3 and small ball 4. There are always injuries as well.

Ingles played 15 minutes a night, Johnson 12, Booker 20... I know you can't really stack minutes they way they actually play out in the game, but he'd get at least 20 minutes a night maybe more. He was about 28 minutes a night this year.

Yeah, he would be getting around Ingles minutes and Ingles only got those minutes because Burks missed 2/3rds of the season. Of course injuries happen, but key players shouldn't miss that much time.

Trey Lyles averaged 17 mpg last year, that is going to get a huge boost to at least 25. I couldn't imagine us playing Lyles/Covington together at 5/4, so Covington's minutes at the 4 would be very limited if existent at all.

Yeah, he would be getting around Ingles minutes and Ingles only got those minutes because Burks missed 2/3rds of the season. Of course injuries happen, but key players shouldn't miss that much time.

Trey Lyles averaged 17 mpg last year, that is going to get a huge boost to at least 25. I couldn't imagine us playing Lyles/Covington together at 5/4, so Covington's minutes at the 4 would be very limited if existent at all.

We had a lot of minutes that were played by guys that should not have gotten minutes. I think we have some guys with position flexibility so while Covington can't play minutes at pg... Burks can, so you play with some 4 wing lineups. This also helps with injury concerns at almost all positions because you have guys that can pay multiple positions it becomes easier to move stuff around.

If 100% healthy I see him getting 15-18 minutes as a base. If he is rolling or someone is struggling he may get more. If there is a matchup that makes sense to roll out lyles and Covington then I trust Quin to utilize it.

He'd also provide a little bit of Hayward insurance if he bails... I mean we are kind of screwed either way if Hayward leaves but having a good rotation player would help.

Since he has two cheap years left I think you'd only get one of the 24 or 26... Not both though.

I think that is a lot to give up for Covington. And if sixers need shooters around Simmons, why would they give up Covington? I think that part is flawed.