What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

And that is exactly the scenario I would look to take advantage of here... if it came up. I brought it up as more often than not teams would prefer the incoming pieces to the outgoing star in hindsight.

We could have retooled... but the same folks that can't comprehend the rebuilding effort and selling off good players for assets would also be puzzled at breaking up a star duo.

We broke up single assets with huge liabilities attached to them for baskets of assets - players, picks, prospects, cap flexibility. Makes a ton of sense.

Waiting to rebuild when its fairly obvious it needs to happen helps reduce the amount of pain you will endure. Its riskier to wait a year too long and have a contract look like a millstone rather than an asset. We had a ripe environment with lots of buyers. "self inflicted" rebuilding could also be called proactive rebuilding.

I guess... but if we are retooling we likely do a different Rudy or Don trade that isn't future facing... so maybe you do a worse deal and end up missing the playoffs and the assets. Honestly we could have made the playoffs this year if we wanted to... I think we make the play in next year. One year out of the playoffs is worth what we have on the ledger now.

Clear that we disagree and I'm fine with that. @kcgar is a hero
First no one is a hero that only dislikes stuff. It takes less thought to simply dislike things than any other reaction, especially without making any contribution. And what can I say, some people like to win and some people like to lose and get excited about draft picks :) . If this is a one year hiatus that will be good. We could have been very competitive this year with different decisions but if one year off is all it takes to get back at least we are not OKC. It is amazing to me how many suggestions on this board are more around acquiring more assets than acquiring talent and winning. As you said, we got lucky with Lauri and Walker so hopefully that bodes well.

First no one is a hero that only dislikes stuff. It takes less thought to simply dislike things than any other reaction, especially without making any contribution. And what can I say, some people like to win and some people like to lose and get excited about draft picks :) . If this is a one year hiatus that will be good. We could have been very competitive this year with different decisions but if one year off is all it takes to get back at least we are not OKC. It is amazing to me how many suggestions on this board are more around acquiring more assets than acquiring talent and winning. As you said, we got lucky with Lauri and Walker so hopefully that bodes well.
Dislike…

First no one is a hero that only dislikes stuff. It takes less thought to simply dislike things than any other reaction, especially without making any contribution.
He only likes smart stuff... sorry.

And what can I say, some people like to win and some people like to lose and get excited about draft picks :) . If this is a one year hiatus that will be good.
That like me saying some people only care about being a mid than winning a title. Losing and gathering assets is not the end... its the means to an end.

We could have been very competitive this year with different decisions but if one year off is all it takes to get back at least we are not OKC. It is amazing to me how many suggestions on this board are more around acquiring more assets than acquiring talent and winning. As you said, we got lucky with Lauri and Walker so hopefully that bodes well.
OKC had 2 years without playoffs if you count the play in... if not then 3 years out. People act like they disappeared for 10 years lol. Being the team that wants to win every year and strives to make the playoffs rather than face the reality of your situation is what leads to decades of mediocrity like the Wiz have had.

The issue I see now is we are at the step in the rebuild where you are tempted to push in a bit but we should likely wait a year and see what we got in the draft. If it looks like we whiffed then we are in a dangerous middle ground. If we got a hit or two then you can comfortably push some future chips in for a win now type move if the right one comes along. I trust DA.

No one in their right mind wants a long rebuild. The goal is to win games, not accumulate assets. Trading Lauri is ridiculous unless you are getting great proven talent and that isnt going to happen. If it takes more than one or two years to be legit you have to question the logic in trading two all stars instead of trading just one of them. WIN games and get to the playoffs!
Totally agree with this point

Honestly, did you read the last part correctly or are you just blind? It's a fan trade that's NOT by me, dumba**!

Oh, wait... my mistake, you're an oldtimer I guess. lol
actually you misinterpreted. i meant i would stop being a jazz fan if they traded lauri. i was not telling you to stop being a jazz fan. you be you.

Last edited:
ive been a jazz fan a long long time. the jazz finding a player like lauri is so very rare. maybe 3 or 4 total. but the reason i would not trade lauri for a 3rd and whatever spare change is offered is utah cant keep star players. stars dont want to play in utah. so when you find a star that wants to stay you keep them no matter what. lauri is 1 in a billion. great player, that likes utah. keeper.

ive been a jazz fan a long long time. the jazz finding a player like lauri is so very rare. maybe 3 or 4 total. but the reason i would not trade lauri for a 3rd and whatever spare change is offered is utah cant keep star players. stars dont want to play in utah. so when you find a star that wants to stay you keep them no matter what. lauri is 1 in a billion. great player, that likes utah. keeper.

He says he likes Utah? Or just because coach unlocked his talent?

And that is great... and its not far off what he did in the NBA... just don't think its an indicator of future NBA playoff performance. If he is 10% better in the playoffs than in the regular season then that's amazing.

Article also stated he was one of the biggest stars in the NBA... I hope that is true as well.
He was one of the ten starters in the All-stars match. I am not sure where the line for being just a star instead of one the biggest goes, but apparently the writer thinks being an All-star starter makes the cut. NB the All NBA teams hadn't yet been announced when the article was written.