What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

The injuries are one thing… it’s the age of those guys… the 25/27/29 picks could be quite juicy. Say we did a 4 team we where we got all the Miami picks and swaps and just the Phoenix 27/29 but took the swaps ( because Brooklyn really can use them since they don’t have picks) it isn’t the worst package ever and allows us to fully rebuild… right now I’d say we are a late lotto team… say we got those picks and also swapped what would be the 12-17 pick for the 1-6 pick… that’s a good deal. Trading in Donovan now saves us from a ****** season where we talk about Don rumors all year and we make our picks so much better. Even if it isn’t the full godfather offer… it’s still good.

Herro, Strus, Bridges, Ayton?, Conley?, Phoenix 23 pick and 25 pick goes to Brooklyn.

We end up with Duncan, Jovic, 3 Miami picks, a couple miami pick swaps and 2 Phoenix picks… being like +10 in the pick column and still able to do some more with Bogey, JC, Beasley, Bev, TPEs.

Even if we are settling a little I’m cool. Those fliers on Minny/Heat/Phoenix picks mean you don’t have to do the super tank where you get rid of all good players for multiple years… you have enough capital to trade for guys later once you get some star talent with your own picks or can add it through the draft.
Yes, you don’t have to super tank for years on end but super tanking for 2023 should still be way the hell on.

I think I am way far gone into the mindset of a rebuild and I'm having really hard time imagining good retool around Mitchell, especially one that will be so successful that he won't ask out next summer. I just feel like it will all be a waste of both resources and time. Oh well...
I think the idea of rebuilding with a wing-heavy roster around Donovan is proving harder to achieve than probably even most of us imagined. We didn't get OG, Patrick Williams, or Hunter as a centerpiece of a Gobert trade. Heck, we couldn't even get McDaniels thrown in.

And even the Donovan-centered trades that seem to be potentially out there aren't offering the kind of wings we want (does RJ Barrett, if he's even available, really do it for anyone? Ben Simmons?)

I just don't see where these wings are going to come from? Sure we might be able to gin up a few Danuel House-level wings for the assets we have. But it is looking more and more like the draft (tanking) is the only viable option. I'm with Eliza that this will take more time and be harder than we realize, but unless Ainge's patience comes up with a few more miracles, what other choices do we have?

Teams that miss out on Kevin Durant, e.g., PHX, TOR, NOL, may very well come after Mitchell. That will keep some pressure on NYK.

Phoenix wouldn’t want Mitchell with Paul/Booker there already. I could see a Toronto package potentially but theirs is more win now pieces vs future pieces unless they wanted to trade Barnes which if they don’t for Durant they won’t for Mitchell.

Full teardowns almost never work.
The teams that win championships all have a few things in common.
Market size. Large market teams always have advantages in the NBA.
Drafting lucky. Warriors got studs without the top 5 picks. Milwaukee landed Giannis.
Small market teams need to revenue to survive. If the Jazz tear it down, many fans will simply ignore them. No ticket sales, no merchandise.
I have a hard time believing Ryan Smith wants to lose out on the money. So when the media all say they want to retool I can almost guarantee the Jazz make at least 1 move to get another Allstar caliber player this offseason.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I think the idea of rebuilding with a wing-heavy roster around Donovan is proving harder to achieve than probably even most of us imagined. We didn't get OG, Patrick Williams, or Hunter as a centerpiece of a Gobert trade. Heck, we couldn't even get McDaniels thrown in.

And even the Donovan-centered trades that seem to be potentially out there aren't offering the kind of wings we want (does RJ Barrett, if he's even available, really do it for anyone? Ben Simmons?)

I just don't see where these wings are going to come from? Sure we might be able to gin up a few Danuel House-level wings for the assets we have. But it is looking more and more like the draft (tanking) is the only viable option. I'm with Eliza that this will take more time and be harder than we realize, but unless Ainge's patience comes up with a few more miracles, what other choices do we have?

Two-way, triple-threat wings are the most valuable commodity in the league. They're normally acquired in the draft and rarely moved in trades. Patrick Williams hasn't shown much yet. OG is really a 3D guy, and Hunter has been underwhelming as well. But no one wants to give up someone who could potentially develop into the next Kawhi Leonard, Paul George or Jimmy Butler.

Yes, you don’t have to super tank for years on end but super tanking for 2023 should still be way the hell on.

Let’s say we do this and we end up with a top-5 pick. No Wemby or Scoot but right outside of that. We likely are the worst team in the league if that happens.

It’s that and the fact that if he comes in and is roughly as good as he was last year… where does that put us? We go from bottom 10-12 team to maybe the 6 seed? That gonna impress Don enough to get an extension?

Teams are going to stop doing these all in unprotected pick packages because they generally end up looking bad years later… sometimes they look catastrophicly bad… nba teams forgot how sideways they can go.
If it doesn't impress don you trade him for a bunch of picks and young prospects. I dont see the bad thing about rebuilding with a 23 year old budding star.

Do you mean what other choices do we have than acquiring wings (rebuilding?) through the draft?

Let’s say we do this and we end up with a top-5 pick. No Wemby or Scoot but right outside of that. We likely are the worst team in the league if that happens.
Then okay. Another bite at the top-3 apple is a strong possibility, saying nothing of the decent chance the Jazz still get a really good prospect.

But also maybe you pick up more picks and the Jazz go in with their lottery ticket plus other 1sts to trade up in case things don’t pan out?

Both Thompsons and Cam Whitmore are solid picks if the Jazz miss out on Wemby and Scoot.

Then okay. Another bite at the top-3 apple is a strong possibility.

But also maybe you pick up two more picks and the Jazz go in with their lottery ticket plus other 1sts to trade up in case things don’t pan out?

Do you guys realize how ****ing bad we would be lol. Any guy we draft we’d be lucky to get the same amount of production as Mitchell gives us.

We will be in the lottery for 4-5 years minimum if that happened.

Full teardowns almost never work.
The teams that win championships all have a few things in common.
Market size. Large market teams always have advantages in the NBA.
Drafting lucky. Warriors got studs without the top 5 picks. Milwaukee landed Giannis.
Small market teams need to revenue to survive. If the Jazz tear it down, many fans will simply ignore them. No ticket sales, no merchandise.
I have a hard time believing Ryan Smith wants to lose out on the money. So when the media all say they want to retool I can almost guarantee the Jazz make at least 1 move to get another Allstar caliber player this offseason.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Well we already did it once and some of my favorite times were when we were sucking *** with the core 4. I had tons of fun watching favors, kanter, hayward, and burks and dreaming of what they could become (they become nothing lol.)

OKC literally has Shai, Giddey and just had picks 2/11/12 in the most recent draft and they are literally going to be **** again. We can only hope to be close to what they are now in 3-4 years if we trade Mitchell for picks.

Do you mean what other choices do we have than acquiring wings (rebuilding?) through the draft?
Yeah. If we're getting quality 2-way wings, it's very likely through the draft. Now we could get lucky and get them without tanking. But we all know what the odds are.

Do you guys realize how ****ing bad we would be lol. Any guy we draft we’d be lucky to get the same amount of production as Mitchell gives us.

Jazz don't have a foundational player to build with. There's no choice but to dip into the lottery and make multiple draft picks.

Do you guys realize how ****ing bad we are going to be lol. Any guy we draft we’d be lucky to get the same amount of production as Mitchell gives us.

And we’ll be there in 1 or 2 years anyway without Mitchell but have to endure more endless Mitchell rumors and abject mediocrity at “best” (actually worst IMO).

The biggest mistake this franchise made in the last ~10 years was not having the guts to tank after Deron left. Remember all of the fun of the Jefferson years? That’s what this feels like to me, except we don’t have any other promising players in the pipeline which creates an even stronger argument to getting on with the split.

Yes… I mean if you tank 1-2 years you don’t have to offload every good player or bench SGA or do those things for 3-4 years… you can let it progress a bit. You need luck and you have to hit on the picks but it can be quick like Memphis instead of tanking for eternity.

Jazz don't have a foundational player to build with. There's no choice but to dip into the lottery and make multiple draft picks.
I think there is still hope from many fans and the jazz organization that Donovan is a foundation player to build with. Im on the fence on that one. At one time I was certain he was, now im less certain but still think he might could be.

OKC literally has Shai, Giddey and just had picks 2/11/12 in the most recent draft and they are literally going to be **** again. We can only hope to be close to what they are now in 3-4 years if we trade Mitchell for picks.

Houston is moving right along. They've got Jalen Green, Jabari Smith, Tari Eason and that Sengun guy all in the last 2 drafts. Then they've got more picks coming from Brooklyn.