What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

Some people here seem to be under the impression that our choice is either trade Donovan and start a re-build or keep him long term and build around him. That's just not realistic. He doesn't want to be here so we're going to have to trade him eventually anyway. If we wait until he only has one year left on his contract, we will have no leverage at all in trade negotiations...the more years left on his contract the more leverage we have.

I just don't see the point in wasting our assets on win now pieces to build around Donovan and then having to turn around and trade him next year anyway. It makes absolutely no sense.
But let’s talk about the fringe scenario Donovan stays: the Jazz will be paying >$60 million a year for him if he re-ups.

If I could laugh react to my own post I would.

Some people here seem to be under the impression that our choice is either trade Donovan and start a re-build or keep him long term and build around him. That's just not realistic. He doesn't want to be here so we're going to have to trade him eventually anyway. If we wait until he only has one year left on his contract, we will have no leverage at all in trade negotiations...the more years left on his contract the more leverage we have.

I just don't see the point in wasting our assets on win now pieces to build around Donovan and then having to turn around and trade him next year anyway. It makes absolutely no sense.
Well what if what you want for Donovan isn't available right now but might be next season? Then would it be wise to wait and trade him?

DM is a fringe all star. Last one in each year. He does ONE thing good. And he isn't even very efficient at that one thing. He does several things bad. Very bad. Not someone who is going to lead you to a championship. Go get a haul for him DA. Or, we wallow in mediocrity.
If he played for LA he would be an All Star Starter. Whoopeedoo

Well what if what you want for Donovan isn't available right now but might be next season? Then would it be wise to wait and trade him?

Sure, you can wait until next year to trade him but I still wouldn't waste any of our assets to try and put a winning roster around him for one season. I also think next year is the latest we can wait to trade him, if we wait until he only has one year left on his contract, we're screwed in trade negotiations.

The only team who tanked and got lucky and is competing after 3 years is Memphis. Everyone else is heading for the 4-5 year model like I’ve been saying. Nobody has said a decade but you can end up there with some bad decisions.
Memphis was like a year and a half… Dallas was like a year… sixers was 4 years and they had so many weird tragedies happen and still came out fine. Phoenix was in a while but again… they had so many opportunities to draft players and just picked the wrong guy… didn’t really have a stacked deck like we could have. I’d be willing to bet that OKC has maybe one more bad year… they will have too much talent to not at least be a play in team for 23-24 season.

I think Jabari will make the team. Reports are he is the best in the summer league. I saw a recent clip. He is exploding to the basket, shooting the 3, and is running the floor hard. Hmmm..would he make Bojan and Gay more expendable? I know it would be a controversial signing but ..screw it..you do what is best for the team regardless of the whiners.

Sure, you can wait until next year to trade him but I still wouldn't waste any of our assets to try and put a winning roster around him for one season. I also think next year is the latest we can wait to trade him, if we wait until he only has one year left on his contract, we're screwed in trade negotiations.
Agreed

Some people here seem to be under the impression that our choice is either trade Donovan and start a re-build or keep him long term and build around him. That's just not realistic. He doesn't want to be here so we're going to have to trade him eventually anyway, and if we wait until he only has one year left on his contract, we will have no leverage at all in trade negotiations...the more years left on his contract the more leverage we have.

there's really no conflict between the two choices. we can rebuild while keeping Donovan on the team. we actually get better as a team by trading bogey/conley for more youth and athleticism so "win-now" and "rebuild" are essentially the same thing in this case. you can get younger AND better.

Memphis was like a year and a half… Dallas was like a year… sixers was 4 years and they had so many weird tragedies happen and still came out fine. Phoenix was in a while but again… they had so many opportunities to draft players and just picked the wrong guy… didn’t really have a stacked deck like we could have. I’d be willing to bet that OKC has maybe one more bad year… they will have too much talent to not at least be a play in team for 23-24 season.
I don't think the sixers came out fine. They are no better off and probably worse off then the jazz were pre Gobert trade imo

I think Jabari will make the team. Reports are he is the best in the summer league. I saw a recent clip. He is exploding to the basket, shooting the 3, and is running the floor hard. Hmmm..would he make Bojan and Gay more expendable? I know it would be a controversial signing but ..screw it..you do what is best for the team regardless of the whiners.
Jabari Parker? I assumed he was ded

Phoenix Suns Receive: Kevin Durant, 2028 First-Round Pick Swap With Jazz (Favoring Jazz), 2023 Second-Round Pic

k (ATL)

Brooklyn Nets Receive: Donovan Mitchell, John Collins, Mikal Bridges, Deandre Hunter, Onyeka Okongwu, 2025 First-Round Pick (PHO), 2027 First-Round Pick (PHO), 2029 First-Round Pick (PHO)

Utah Jazz Receive: Deandre Ayton, Cam Johnson, Day'Ron Sharpe, 2023 First-Round Pick (PHO), 2028 First-Round Pick Swap With Suns (Favoring Jazz), 2029 First-Round Pick (ATL)

Atlanta Hawks Receive: Ben Simmons, 2024 Second-Round Pick (PHO), 2025 Second-Round Pick (UTA)

This is a purposed 4 team trade involving DM. It has to be started by a Brooklyn fan. Jazz are getting screwed in this scenario. Look at the haul Brooklyn is getting. Jazz need to get either Bridges or Hunter and a couple more picks.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...sedgntp&cvid=50e8beeeb49f478b8617590adadda9b1

Phoenix Suns Receive: Kevin Durant, 2028 First-Round Pick Swap With Jazz (Favoring Jazz), 2023 Second-Round Pic

k (ATL)

Brooklyn Nets Receive: Donovan Mitchell, John Collins, Mikal Bridges, Deandre Hunter, Onyeka Okongwu, 2025 First-Round Pick (PHO), 2027 First-Round Pick (PHO), 2029 First-Round Pick (PHO)

Utah Jazz Receive: Deandre Ayton, Cam Johnson, Day'Ron Sharpe, 2023 First-Round Pick (PHO), 2028 First-Round Pick Swap With Suns (Favoring Jazz), 2029 First-Round Pick (ATL)

Atlanta Hawks Receive: Ben Simmons, 2024 Second-Round Pick (PHO), 2025 Second-Round Pick (UTA)

This is a purposed 4 team trade involving DM. It has to be started by a Brooklyn fan. Jazz are getting screwed in this scenario. Look at the haul Brooklyn is getting. Jazz need to get either Bridges or Hunter and a couple more picks.
https://streamable.com/0p1ni8

k (ATL)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...sedgntp&cvid=50e8beeeb49f478b8617590adadda9b1
No

k (ATL)

We can trade Mitchell to NY for a lot more without helping everyone else. No deal.

Does that outweigh the downside of him being exposed next year on a bad team or having a significant injury? Or what if what’s on offer later is worse now otherwise?
well same risk applies to every trade.

what if it's the players that you got from the Donovan trade end up receiving significant injuries?

what if the picks we get from the Donovan trade all end up somewhere in the late 20s and flop? (Favs/Kanter/DedEX)

what if Donovan end up not getting exposed and up his games significantly?

there's just no guarantee that we win the Donovan trade by trading him now vs. a year later.

there's really no conflict between the two choices. we can rebuild while keeping Donovan on the team. we actually get better as a team by trading bogey/conley for more youth and athleticism so "win-now" and "rebuild" are essentially the same thing in this case. you can get younger AND better.

But what I'm saying is I don't want to give away the assets we just got in the Gobert trade to try and build around Donovan and then have to trade him in a year anyway. Like, I wouldn't want to give up two first round picks for Ayton and another first for John Collins or somebody to try and build a win now team around Donovan.