What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

I think it's a huge L for the franchise if we simply sit on our vets and let them expire.

For all the hoopla about tanking, what are actually getting from these guys? A better play in seed? I freaking hate tanking, but there is no reason to hold onto these vets.

Sarah Todd had a trade deadline preview article a few days ago and she put Sexton in the untouchable category along with Markkanen and Kessler. He may not be as likely to be traded as some of the other guys on the roster, but to call him untouchable is completely ridiculous. I'm positive Ainge and company would be willing to part with him for the right offer.
I just don't think he has pushed his value up as high as he could... so it would be weird to sell him off. I don't think he'd have a huge market.

Untouchable is rich... maybe just "very unlikely to be moved" is better.

I didn't know that... it does change things a bit for me. I don't want him to come here, but you just waive him and its not a big deal.
If there was enough way to clear the cap, it could be tempting to factor in what we could then bring in with the $20 million cleared. But I doubt they would want to trade both Jackson/Wall for just Conley given his sometimes questionable availability, but Jackson/Wall/Coffrey for Conley gets us there and would open up $20 million to grab an extra piece or two in the offseason

Tony on ESPN 700 didn't give up too much info - Said Mike is not likely to be moved but that it could happen... which is a little bit different than he previously declared, so something might be out there. Said it would take a lot to get JC. Said Beas and Vando are available.

Sounds like DA playing a game of "which one of you suckers wants to get wild".

If there was enough way to clear the cap, it could be tempting to factor in what we could then bring in with the $20 million cleared. But I doubt they would want to trade both Jackson/Wall for just Conley given his sometimes questionable availability, but Jackson/Wall/Coffrey for Conley gets us there and would open up $20 million to grab an extra piece or two in the offseason
Depends on what JC gets and if they waive Beasley (or if he is traded). I think we should plan on being over the cap and using 1 year deals to shop for a sign and trade. FA isn't likely to yield something awesome (the FA market is pretty meh this year).

But yeah... there might be value in being under the cap if we can get there.

Isn’t questionable availability what the Clippers are all about?

Tony on ESPN 700 didn't give up too much info - Said Mike is not likely to be moved but that it could happen... which is a little bit different than he previously declared, so something might be out there. Said it would take a lot to get JC. Said Beas and Vando are available.

Sounds like DA playing a game of "which one of you suckers wants to get wild".

The two Tony Jones reports:

1. It's not likely to happen, but it could.

2. It could happen, but it might not.

I just don't think he has pushed his value up as high as he could... so it would be weird to sell him off. I don't think he'd have a huge market.

I agree. We wouldn't trade him unless we got a stupid offer.

Sexton's been quietly very good for us: 49% from the field and almost 40% from three. The guy has always been efficient, shooting-wise, but he's slightly better than his career numbers percentage wise.

Jackson/Wall/Coffey and a pick swap with the Philly pick plus a couple seconds I guess could work... I'd only do it if I thought Mike wanted it and if I had plans to make the other moves necessary to get cap space.

Agreed. He's probably one of the least likely to be moved, but to call him untouchable is a bit much.

Last edited:
Jackson/Wall/Coffey and a pick swap with the Philly pick plus a couple seconds I guess could work... I'd only do it if I thought Mike wanted it and if I had plans to make the other moves necessary to get cap space.
Yeah, I am not into it but it is worth monitoring.

Pretty meh class, but no one is really slotted to be buyers this offseason (besides Rockets/Pacers/Pistons but they are either not in the right frame to sign winning pieces or have their own players to retain). If Washington is letting people expire I would at least monitor the Kuzma situation, Josh Hart will probably opt out, and who knows Cam Johnson's value with Suns new ownership.

Yeah, I am not into it but it is worth monitoring.

Pretty meh class, but no one is really slotted to be buyers this offseason (besides Rockets/Pacers/Pistons but they are either not in the right frame to sign winning pieces or have their own players to retain). If Washington is letting people expire I would at least monitor the Kuzma situation, Josh Hart will probably opt out, and who knows Cam Johnson's value with Suns new ownership.
Is this the right time to remind us again that we drafted Hart and then traded him and Thomas Bryant for Tony Bradley?

The two Tony Jones reports:

1. It's not likely to happen, but it could.

2. It could happen, but it might not.
He had said he thought Mike would be the starter on the next playoff team we had... it was partly his tone when he said it. It was more like moving from a 5% chance Mike would get moved to a 25% chance - that is my interpretation and not his words.

I heard from a source that we are going to trade Clarkson, Beasley, Vando, Olynyk, Sexton, Conley, THT, Gay and Udoka for Lonzo Ball, 5 first round picks, three second round picks, and cash (not in the same deal). We’re then using two of the firsts and all three seconds for OG.

I heard from a source that we are going to trade Clarkson, Beasley, Vando, Olynyk, Sexton, Conley, THT, Gay and Udoka for Lonzo Ball, 5 first round picks, three second round picks, and cash (not in the same deal). We’re then using two of the firsts and all three seconds for OG.
Franchise Mode is more fun than real life sometimes. I have traded everyone above for Dyson Daniels, Lonzo Ball, and 3 first round picks and tanked my way to Wemby.

Do the Stars then all get promoted to the Jazz?

I feel like if Mike gets traded it will be a "of course you make that trade!" type of thing. Danny wouldn't cross the street for a second rounder. Mike isn't getting traded for some seconds and some expirings.
I think if Mike goes to the Clips its because DA either loves Kennard (maybe he thinks there is more there) or got a first. If I squint I can see a Kennard/Wall/Coffey deal with a 1st round pick swap this year and some other seconds. It also might mean we found something for Malik and maybe shopped Coffey for something... like could you route Coffey to Phoenix with Vando for Crowder (Crowder goes elsewhere) and maybe a protected first?

I think I'm seeing enough motivation and pieces there but its kinda a bunch of moving parts.

Really? That would stink IMO. You'd HAVE to throw in LK to make that even taste good at all, and I'd even want Brandon Boston along with Kennard and whatever crap vet salary filler along with the swap.

No battle.