What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

I remember guys grilling me all off-season stating we weren’t interested in Barrett and didn’t want long-term salary because a couple of guys were reporting it. Come to find out he was the main player we wanted in a Knicks deal. Just saying it is not black and white. There is some nuance to it.

I'm encouraged with the way Hardy is developing Ochai and Walker and giving them more as they seem ready for it. I trust he will do the same with Collin. I am convinced his hands are tied on Rudy Gay until after the trade deadline.
Yes, Hardy's development style thus far is consistent, but slow. He doesnt have his guys doing too much. The Trib had an article about it today. He doesnt want his young guys failing too much because he thinks too much failure can lead to extended failure. He doesnt seem to be a believer in "throwing them in the fire regardless of their preparedness level".

Still too rich for my blood... Like would you do Ochai and 2 of the unprotected firsts? I would not... I'd wait out the season and send them or whoever traded for him a lower offer maybe.
Thinking about it the past hour and I would reluctantly do Sexton, Agbaji + 1 FRP for Anunoby. I believe both Sexton and Agbaji can be rotation players on a championship team but OG has potential to be a starting wing on a championship team. FWIW I would definitely NOT send this type of package for Collins..no way.

I really love Sexton's energy and dynamic scoring ability as our 6th man. The kid's a gamer. I really like Ochai's potential but what are the chances he will develop into an OG tier defender. OG has been struggling a bit with his shot, the whole Toronto team has been struggling, but he and Mikal Bridges are the 2 best 3&D guys in the league. Anunoby is still only 25 and on Lauri's timeline. Ochai is almost 23. There's plenty of upside but he isn't going to ascend to OG's tier by the time he hits 25. He also doesn't have OG's size. Let's be honest the Jazz really need a big athletic, defensive player on the wing and they've about played themselves out of a chance to draft the elite wing prospects such as the Thompson Twins. Also, Toronto is in danger of losing their backcourt to free agency this summer. Both Sexton/Agbaji could play off 6'-8" Scottie Barnes assuming he's their PG of the future. I'm guessing Rap fans would stick their nose up at that deal but think it could be great for both teams similar to how the Don trade was great for both Cle and us. Most of us stuck our noses in the air when we heard about the Don deal. It would actually be kinda nuts if Danny ended up turning Don into Lauri+Anunoby+picks. Of course Masai would likely try to pry Kessler from the Jazz and that's definitely not happening.

Anyway those are my long winded thoughts. I do not want to trade either Sexton/Agbaji who are both A+ character types in the lockerroom. However if they can land a long, athletic, ready to win type wing like Anunoby then you consider pulling the trigger, dependent on the draft pick compensation of course. If Raps were smart they would turn around and use the draft capital to acquire Poeltl from the Spurs. Their strategy of an all 6'-8" type lineup seemed edgy and ahead of the curve but the truth of the matter is you still need a center and at least one dynamic guard on your roster in today's NBA.

Thinking about it the past hour and I would reluctantly do Sexton, Agbaji + 1 FRP for Anunoby. I believe both Sexton and Agbaji can be rotation players on a championship team but OG has potential to be a starting wing on a championship team. FWIW I would definitely NOT send this type of package for Collins..no way.

I really love Sexton's energy and dynamic scoring ability as our 6th man. The kid's a gamer. I really like Ochai's potential but what are the chances he will develop into an OG tier defender. OG has been struggling a bit with his shot, the whole Toronto team has been struggling, but he and Mikal Bridges are the 2 best 3&D guys in the league. Anunoby is still only 25 and on Lauri's timeline. Ochai is almost 23. There's plenty of upside but he isn't going to ascend to OG's tier by the time he hits 25. He also doesn't have OG's size. Let's be honest the Jazz really need a big athletic, defensive player on the wing and they've about played themselves out of a chance to draft the elite wing prospects such as the Thompson Twins. Also, Toronto is in danger of losing their backcourt to free agency this summer. Both Sexton/Agbaji could play off 6'-8" Scottie Barnes assuming he's their PG of the future. I'm guessing Rap fans would stick their nose up at that deal but think it could be great for both teams similar to how the Don trade was great for both Cle and us. Most of us stuck our noses in the air when we heard about the Don deal. It would actually be kinda nuts if Danny ended up turning Don into Lauri+Anunoby+picks. Of course Masai would likely try to pry Kessler from the Jazz and that's definitely not happening.

Anyway those are my long winded thoughts. I do not want to trade either Sexton/Agbaji who are both A+ character types in the lockerroom. However if they can land a long, athletic, ready to win type wing like Anunoby then you consider pulling the trigger, dependent on the draft pick compensation of course. If Raps were smart they would turn around and use the draft capital to acquire Poeltl from the Spurs. Their strategy of an all 6'-8" type lineup seemed edgy and ahead of the curve but the truth of the matter is you still need a center and at least one dynamic guard on your roster in today's NBA.
RELUCTANT????

Good god, if they took Sexton/Ochai/1st for OG I would be tap dancing.

Markkanen/Okoro/Agbaji or Markkanen/Osman/Agbaji work for Donovan straight accross but yeah we gave Sexton a 4/72M contract to make the trade work.

THey gave him that to make the Donny deal work bud.
Yes the starting salary had to be in that range to work however they could've just given him a 2+1 type deal or a 3 year deal if that were the case though. They obviously had designs to develop him under their new coaching staff, which is what they have been doing along with the other young guys on this roster.

Markkanen/Okoro/Agbaji or Markkanen/Osman/Agbaji work for Donovan straight accross but yeah we have Sexton a 4/72M contract to make the trade work.
They probably didnt want to give up Okoro or Osman. They needed wings and they were in a pickle with the Sexton contract. I also doubt Utah really wanted either of those guys. They probably wanted Sexton more than those two, but that doesnt mean they were super high on Sexton.

Yes the starting salary had to be in that range to work however they could've just given him a 2+1 type deal or a 3 year deal if that were the case though. They obviously had designs to develop him under their new coaching staff, which is what they have been doing along with the other young guys on this roster.
4 year deal is better because the back end of the deal will be great due to the raising cap.

I'm not a fan of Sexton or his contract, but it's a fine deal for a player who is always going to be productive. It will be a great deal when the cap raises and guys making 16 million are the MLE types.

They probably didnt want to give up Okoro or Osman. They needed wings and they were in a pickle with the Sexton contract. I also doubt Utah really wanted either of those guys. They probably wanted Sexton more than those two, but that doesnt mean they were super high on Sexton.

We were rumored to have wanted Sexton all off-season. It isn’t some coincidence.

They gave a player a 4/72M contract just to make a trade work?
I’m a big fan of Sexton, but in an ideal world I’d prefer a taller / longer guard in today’s NBA.

However, I think he is already as good as Clarkson is. They both can distribute the ball, and create their own shot. The biggest fault in both is that at times they get in the me-first zone and it hurts our offense at times.

He is a steal at his price tag.

RELUCTANT????

Good god, if they took Sexton/Ochai/1st for OG I would be tap dancing.
Yes reluctant. The Jazz would miss those guys. Teams need dynamic scoring guards and these 2 are tied into long term contracts.

I don't get why posters want to be so down on our players (although I will say Gay is the exception).

Why spread a bad perception about our guys? I was under a totally different impression of Sexton before he got here based on what I had read on other forums. Thank goodness the kid is a hard working gamer and not at all like the supposed "ballhog" rumors that had spread before he got here.

Yes reluctant. The Jazz would miss those guys. Teams need dynamic scoring guards and these 2 are tied into long term contracts.

I don't get why posters want to be so down on our players (although I will say Gay is the exception).

Why spread a bad perception about our guys? I was under a totally different impression of Sexton before he got here based on what I had read on other forums. Thank goodness the kid is a hard working gamer and not at all like the supposed "ballhog" rumors that had spread before he got here.
Sexton is a fine player. He is not OG Anunoby.

Do it! Do it! Find a Sexton type player in this years draft or free agency or..just keep Clarkson.

I think he wants to be a starting pg... I think we would love for him to get there... I am not sure we believe he gets there or will plan around it. I think he's a worker. I think Hardy's approach of being hard on him is fine as long as he continues to play him and take the good with the bad.

The mental side of the game will be a struggle if he is a "floor general". If you had a guy like Haliburton or Ball then Sexton can create and things should line up well on defense and in the playmaking department. His first step is amazing and I think he is getting solid at making the simple reads... he made a pass last night to the top that kinda impressed me (Beasley missed the three).

It will really just depend on what else we get. I think he will always take a few more dribbles or be a bit more shot oriented than an ideal pg would be... I think his burst and power are a great tool to have, so if the other stuff comes he can start or if we get the right backcourt mate he can be a starter. I would guess his ideal role on a title team is 3rd guard but I'm open minded... and I am sure the Jazz are too.
I guess I’m more willing to entertain the possibility that we deal Conley before the deadline than most. And in that case Sexton adopts a bigger role most likely. I don't worry anymore about him screwing the pooch, he’s made a lot of big plays recently including some nice dimes. He’s definitely not Cleveland Can’t Win Sexton anymore in my eyes.

Last edited:

Cy will say the opposite of what the consensus is.

We all love Kessler so he started a stupid *** thread stating he shouldn’t play unless KO is traded.

We all want Kessler to start going forward and don’t really like watching KO so Cy made up that we really miss KO when we’re 6-3 without him.

We all don’t like watching THT so Cy purposely became his biggest stan.

You get where I am going with this.

I'm encouraged with the way Hardy is developing Ochai and Walker and giving them more as they seem ready for it. I trust he will do the same with Collin. I am convinced his hands are tied on Rudy Gay until after the trade deadline.
I hate that last line. With Collins, Hui and maybe even OG in our sights, I’d do anything to get off Gay.

Cy will say the opposite of what the consensus is.

We all love Kessler so he started a stupid *** thread stating he shouldn’t play unless KO is traded.

We all want Kessler to start going forward and don’t really like watching KO so Cy made up that we really miss KO when we’re 6-3 without him.

We all don’t like watching THT so Cy purposely became his biggest stan.

You get where I am going with this.
I'm sorry bud but the consensus of trading Ochai/Sexton/1st for OG is going to be for doing it, so I'm in no way going against the consensus. Pick a new angle.

Yes, Hardy's development style thus far is consistent, but slow. He doesnt have his guys doing too much. The Trib had an article about it today. He doesnt want his young guys failing too much because he thinks too much failure can lead to extended failure. He doesnt seem to be a believer in "throwing them in the fire regardless of their preparedness level".
I prefer that to Quin's style... maybe Hardy changes as we switch gears though. I guess Quin was better earlier but at the end it seemed like he couldn't be bothered (not that we gave him a lot to work with). It seems fair and likely the right approach unless you have a guy that is a star day 1.