What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

Shams said it's something that we've been discussing. One pick for three guys that could potentially be starters isn't that bad.
The Lakers lack depth and selflessness. Conley is a total team guy. Vanderbilt is the ultimate selfless guy. Beasley is a shooter for a team that desperately needs to spread the floor for LBJ and AD.

If the Lakers only give up one protected pick (maybe protected for only #1 or something), they would be idiots. I don't see a better value trade to help them right now.

Do it... that pick is worth more than the protected picks.... the tank gets moving... LA maybe passes Minny? Sneak in a pick swap with the Philly pick, a second rounder, or make them take Gay in the deal if you need a sweetner.

Easy money.
Conley, Beasley, Vando and either Gay or NAW for Westbrook (buyout), Wenyen Gabriel, Troy Brown and Max Christie - plus their 27 pick and a pick swap between the Lakers/Pels and Nets/76ers picks this year.

Gotta include a 4th player to keep the Jazz under the tax line. If the Jazz can make this deal, they should be ecstatic.

The Lakers might balk on the pick cost of that trade, but Conley, Beasley and Vanderbilt are exactly the type guys that team needs.

And they save almost $5 million in salaries which equates to how much in luxury? $10-15 million total in savings?
Lakers problem all this time has been that they are top heavy with a light bottom. Their stars are great but the supporting pieces arent.

However if you want that trade you better hope they dont realize its defense they are lacking, and that those guys dont provide much of that.

I’ll even take it if it’s top-4 protected or something.
If they have even minimal protection on the 2027 pick then doesn’t that keep them from trading the 2029 or later picks in any other trade until the pick transfers? I doubt they want that limitation from future moves.

Lakers rotation after that trade:

PG - Mike Conley / Dennis Schroder / Patrick Beverly
SG - Malik Beasley / Austin Reeves
SF - LeBron James / Lonnie Walker
PF - Jarred Vanderbilt / Rui Hachimura
C - Anthony Davis / Thomas Bryant

Improves our chances for a higher lottery pick. Gives us a desirable unprotected first round pick. Gives us lots of cap space this summer. But we’d be less fun to watch for a few month. I’d lean yes, but hope we can get just a little more like a swap or a couple second rounders
Swap the 23 Lakers/spells pick for the Nets/76ers pick and try to add Rudy Gay. That deal is absolute gold.

Get this… if the Lakers added Gabriel to that trade they’d save 6.3M which would put them in a lower tax bracket. They’d not only save 6.3M in salary but a whopping 16M on their luxury tax payment.

No way I give them Beasley, Vando _and_ Conley if they want protections on those picks.
Exactly- I think they've got to take on some crap salary like Gay as well and I still don't think its a good enough deal for Ainge. I'm not sure what good a bunch of salary cap space is for the Jazz.

If they have even minimal protection on the 2027 pick then doesn’t that keep them from trading the 2029 or later picks in any other trade until the pick transfers? I doubt they want that limitation from future moves.

They could have it convey as unprotected in 2028 which would allow them to trade their 2030 pick along with a 2029 pick swap if they wanted to this summer.

Get this… if the Lakers added Gabriel to that trade they’d save 6.3M which would put them in a lower tax bracket. They’d not only save 6.3M in salary but a whopping 16M on their luxury tax payment.
Jazz would have to cut a deal somewhere else to keep themselves from going over the tax line. It’s not worth becoming a taxpayer this year. . . much rather keep flexibility than help the Lakers owners save cash.

The Lakers lack depth and selflessness. Conley is a total team guy. Vanderbilt is the ultimate selfless guy. Beasley is a shooter for a team that desperately needs to spread the floor for LBJ and AD.

If the Lakers only give up one protected pick (maybe protected for only #1 or something), they would be idiots. I don't see a better value trade to help them right now.
Not only that... Beasley has an option... so if the summer brings options you can waive him. You can move Conley next year to pursue Kyrie or waive his partially guaranteed deal if he gets hurt... Vando is cheap so all three guys have optionality too.

They should have done the deal this summer with Bogey... but this is still good and could be great if Mike stays healthy.

they also need to realize their BS has pissed off enough teams that some teams are now penalizing them. Openly talking about every teams players and recruiting them through nefarious means limits how many friends they have out there.

Jazz would have to cut a deal somewhere else to keep themselves from going over the tax line. It’s not worth becoming a taxpayer this year. . . much rather keep flexibility than help the Lakers owners save cash.
I thought we had $7 million in space?

Westbrook for Conley, Beasley and Vanderbilt brings in less than $5 million extra. Even with a couple minimum pickups, we would avoid the luxury without having to do an extra deal right?

Not only that... Beasley has an option... so if the summer brings options you can waive him. You can move Conley next year to pursue Kyrie or waive his partially guaranteed deal if he gets hurt... Vando is cheap so all three guys have optionality too.

They should have done the deal this summer with Bogey... but this is still good and could be great if Mike stays healthy.

they also need to realize their BS has pissed off enough teams that some teams are now penalizing them. Openly talking about every teams players and recruiting them through nefarious means limits how many friends they have out there.
Good point. That's why they probably want nothing to do with Rudy Gay and his $6+ million for next year.

They could have it convey as unprotected in 2028 which would allow them to trade their 2030 pick along with a 2029 pick swap if they wanted to this summer.
Trade them for 3 swaps... 23 (Philly), 27(minny/utah/cavs), and 29 (same as 27) and convince them its better cuz they can trade 28/30 and 23 on draft night!

They get their guy and only gave up swaps!!! Pelinka a genius!!!

I thought we had $7 million in space?

Westbrook for Conley, Beasley and Vanderbilt brings in less than $5 million extra. Even with a couple minimum pickups, we would avoid the luxury without having to do an extra deal right?
Pretty much every player is guaranteed at this point. I’m pretty sure even minimum contracts coming back are still going to put the jazz just over the line unless there’s another player coming and going.